Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 04:18 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,192,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
16 Things You Don’t Know About Europe Until You Get There
11.) Almost all museums are free (or at least cheap)
I do not know about that.

Most visited art museums

1. Louvre (FR), €15
2. British Museum (UK), free
3. National Gallery (UK), free
4. Vatican museums (IT), €16
5. Tate Modern (UK), free
6. Musée National d'Art Moderne (FR), €14
7. Musée d'Orsay (FR), €12
8. Victoria and Albert Museum (UK), free
9. Reina Sofía (ES), €8
10. Somerset House (UK), free
11. Museo del Prado (ES), €14
12. Rijksmuseum (NL), €17.5
13. National Portrait Gallery (UK), free
14. Uffizi (IT), €8
15. MuCEM (FR), €8

It seems like only the British museums are free of charge. I do not think €8-17.5 is that cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 04:47 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,013,634 times
Quote:
1.) There are many ways to flush a toilet

2.) Showering can be a challenge

3.) You can’t leave the hotel with your room key

4.) Things close down at lunch time

5.) It’s hard to find to go cups for coffee- You’ll have a hard time ordering a cup of coffee to go.

6.) Dinner takes two to three hours to eat- Ready for a quick bite to eat? Think again.

7.) Sometimes you have to pay before you order

8.) Public toilettes aren’t free

9.) Wifi isn’t free and isn’t always available

10.) You don’t need to tip

12.) Ordering a latte means ordering a milk

13.) Breakfast is cold cuts, cheese, and bread- Eggs don’t seem to be common for breakfast.

14.) Salads aren’t a big thing

15.) Limited selection of foods

16.) Burgers must be well done

OP well I have been all over the world. It is completely fine if you like to share a link what was on the internet with us. But it is better to give bit of description about the post like : This is from Michelle Della Giovanna what she wrote on her blog, I met this article what you guys think??

Michelle Della Giovanna | Thought Catalog
she has wrote on her blog about this.

16 Things You Don

If some one drop something on the internet it does not mean it is true. If you have read the comments what people were given I am sure you wont post it here.
Cheers OP

Old 01-18-2016, 04:52 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
I wonder if that guy ever went to Europe.
She was probably once in Italy and now thinks she knows it all.

---

Ok so I will answer the statements:

1) Yes, it might have two buttons
2) Hardly
3) You can
4) They don't except for a couple of countries
5) It might
6) No, it doesn't
7) True
8) True
9) Wifi is free
10) True
11) Not true
12) No, it doesn't except in Italy
13) True, except for boiled eggs. Them we have
14) Not true
15) Probably compared to the US
16) Is there any other way?

Old 01-18-2016, 07:08 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
I have had people (americans) ask me if in "Europe" people use credit cards, the internet, freeways, have free wine refills, have naps etc etc etc.. The funny things is that people asking those kind of questions are not only Midwestern Americans but immigrants from other parts of the world.
As a rule of thumb when you come across someone making claims about "Europe being like this or like" more often than not they are just Americans spending too much time watching bad TV.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I've had people (Europeans and Canadians) ask me if in "Texas" most people still live on ranches, ride horses to work and school, use credit cards, have tornadoes come through their town every few months, and if most people walk around with a gun strapped to their belt. I guess most of the time they are just Europeans and Canadians spending too much time watching bad TV. Whaddya think?

Old 01-18-2016, 07:13 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean. I've had people (Europeans and Canadians) ask me if in "Texas" most people still live on ranches, ride horses to work and school, use credit cards, have tornadoes come through their town every few months, and if most people walk around with a gun strapped to their belt. I guess most of the time they are just Europeans and Canadians spending too much time watching bad TV. Whaddya think?
But you have said yourself that some people in Texas use cowboy clothes. Some of Texas is in the tornado alley, and you really can carry guns on you (concealed carry). Some states have open carry laws. How could we know what states have and which don't?

Last edited by Ariete; 01-18-2016 at 07:22 AM..

Old 01-18-2016, 07:32 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,701,281 times
Quote:
16 Things You Don’t Know About Europe Until You Get There
1.) There are many ways to flush a toilet

2.) Showering can be a challenge

3.) You can’t leave the hotel with your room key

4.) Things close down at lunch time

5.) It’s hard to find to go cups for coffee- You’ll have a hard time ordering a cup of coffee to go.

6.) Dinner takes two to three hours to eat- Ready for a quick bite to eat? Think again.

7.) Sometimes you have to pay before you order

8.) Public toilettes aren’t free

9.) Wifi isn’t free and isn’t always available

10.) You don’t need to tip

12.) Ordering a latte means ordering a milk

13.) Breakfast is cold cuts, cheese, and bread- Eggs don’t seem to be common for breakfast.

14.) Salads aren’t a big thing

15.) Limited selection of foods

16.) Burgers must be well done
Europe contains so many different type of countries that you cannot make a list.

For the shovering challence I would want to comment that I really hate one energy saving thing and that is settling the water coming with so small pressure that instead getting wet

You would just want to rip the whole damnet shower away from the wall, kick it into pieces and let the water come with normal pressure so

you could wash your damnet hair

without waiting half hour when your hair is wet enough to wash it...

Tips: You could sometimes find free public toilets for example from offices and librarys.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:58 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
But you have said yourself that some people in Texas use cowboy clothes. Some of Texas is in the tornado alley, and you really can carry guns on you (concealed carry). Some states have open carry laws. How could we know what states have and which don't?
None of what you just mentioned is what anyone asked me about. Based on stereotypes, perpetrated by the media, they actually thought that many people ride horses to work or school, that it's common to have your house damaged by tornadoes, and that it's a common sight to see people wandering around with guns displayed. (By the way, we have open carry here in Texas and I live in a small town on the outskirts of Dallas, and I have yet to see a single gun in a holster on a civilian, just for the record.)

Many of the things in the OP have some elements of truth in some parts of Europe. How can we know which European countries have these issues and which don't?

Beware of stereotypes on either side of the pond.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:10 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,607,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
Europe contains so many different type of countries that you cannot make a list.
It is not even about the different type of countries but the areas where they stay.
This is typically the kind of opinion of people who only go in tourist corners, the touristy historic old town.
The people who stay in quaint boutique hotels, go in restaurants near sights... They believe that they are in the authentic "Europe" but it looks quaint and antiquated.

They need to realize that this is not where the majority of people live.
The "old provencal villages" with their markets and old shops are not representative of the life in southeastern France which is more dominated by sprawling suburbs, big box retail and industrial and office parks.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:16 AM

1,248 posts, read 824,578 times
And that is precisely the reason some people (of which I happen to be one) dislike Americans. Massive ignorance coupled with massive arrogance.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:21 AM

1,248 posts, read 824,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
... Bad TV created by Americans. These are all stereotypes Americans themselves (including Texans) use to market their own country. The ability to own and carry guns is in particular one thing the US citizens are very proud of and view it as something that makes their country superior to all others. Kind of silly to complain about it, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe