Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 10:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
Well, care to enlighten me?
No, not really. The information is widely available online.

I've voted for all sorts of candidates from various political parties over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 10:25 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,654,457 times
All the Smithsonian museums except the zoo are free. You'd think an American travel writer would know that.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:30 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,878,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
I wonder if that guy ever went to Europe.
^^^This.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:38 AM

1,248 posts, read 824,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
That's what's known as a diversionary non-sequitur. It has a big fat round zero to do with your original implicit claim that all Americans are in love with gun culture.

Americans' Desire for Stricter Gun Laws Up Sharply
It has everything to do with what Americans know about European politics, and conversely, what Europeans know about American politics. We know about the debate. You "know" that Europe is doomed etc. etc.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:40 AM

504 posts, read 465,820 times
Even if the UK leaves the EU this year, it won't move geographically. So from this European nation, I would say the following:
1.) There are many ways to flush a toilet

Can be handle, push button or very occasionally in somewhere very old fashioned, a chain. If you find this difficult to deal with, I'd recommend surrendering your passport.

2.) Showering can be a challenge

No more of a challenge than anywhere else. I've encountered some crappy (and confusing) showers in the US.

3.) You can’t leave the hotel with your room key

Rubbish. 95% of hotels have card-keys now.

4.) Things close down at lunch time

I can't think of ANYTHING or ANYWHERE that closes for lunch in the UK.

5.) It’s hard to find to go cups for coffee- You’ll have a hard time ordering a cup of coffee to go.

Bewildering array of coffee-to-go possibilities, from the ghastly American Starbucks, to home-grown chains and independents. If there isn't a Costa Coffee within 2 minutes of where you are, you are probably in the Scottish Highlands.

6.) Dinner takes two to three hours to eat- Ready for a quick bite to eat? Think again.

Simply rubbish.

7.) Sometimes you have to pay before you order

Only in pubs. And then only sometimes.

8.) Public toilettes aren’t free

Some are, some aren't. Public toilets barely exist in America, free or otherwise.

9.) Wifi isn’t free and isn’t always available

Wifi isn't free and constantly available in America. Internet provision in generally cheaper in the UK than the US.

10.) You don’t need to tip

Depends on which country. We probably tip more in the UK than anywhere else in Europe, but not to the CRAZY, INSANE degree you do in America. Do you think this is a BAD thing?

11.) Almost all museums are free (or at least cheap)

Yep - in the UK, at least. And not "all", but most. Frankly, I think we should start charging visitors as we can't afford to make them free any longer

12.) Ordering a latte means ordering a milk

No it doesn't. Not in the English speaking parts of Europe. It means exactly the same as it does in the States..

13.) Breakfast is cold cuts, cheese, and bread- Eggs don’t seem to be common for breakfast.

Eggs? Do you want them fried, poached or scrambled with your sausage, bacon, fried potatoes, fried bread, mushrooms, tomatoes, baked beans?

14.) Salads aren’t a big thing

Not American style salads, which are a few green sprigs buried beneath a mountain of gloop and croutons. Proper healthy salads are everywhere in every country.

15.) Limited selection of foods

Unadulterated garbage.

16.) Burgers must be well done
I had a burger for lunch on Saturday, at Tom's Kitchen in Chelsea. It was, if anything, rare rather than the medium I asked for. There is a risk in eating rare/medium processed meat products anywhere on planet earth - but I've never been asked to sign a waiver. I'd certainly take any European meat over the hormone stuffed, antibiotic, industrially produced crap in America. And no, we do NOT have mad cow disease and haven't had for years and years.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:40 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
I thought this was supposed to be a joke thread, not a bicker thread. Heaven knows we need a chance to let off some steam from all those awful political threads. And why was the igloo thread closed?

Old 01-18-2016, 10:42 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
I don't really think the OP's piece was concerning the UK.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:44 AM

1,248 posts, read 824,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
So - you read a quote by some random stranger on the internet and you think that it applies to most Americans' state of mind. WOW, JUST WOW.

I can promise you that I could go through "the internet" and find all sorts of people from all over the world, including Europe, saying all sorts of absolute rubbish.

I prefer assessing individuals rather than applying stereotypes to large swaths of people, but hey, that's just me. Stereotypes can come in handy (for instance, I wouldn't recommend going into certain parts of New Orleans by yourself, drunk, late at night, with a wallet full of cash and no idea which direction your hotel is in), but when interacting with individuals, I think it's usually best to leave one's preconceived notions behind.
Actually, I remember reading one of your own posts from 2012 on a thread about why do other people hate Americans. There was a long list of things you are grateful to have as a US citizen: education, house, car, healthcare, human rights, freedom of religion etc - with the implication that other nations do not have those things. If I find that post I will even link it up.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:46 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640TAG View Post
Even if the UK leaves the EU this year, it won't move geographically. So from this European nation, I would say the following:
10.) You don’t need to tip

Depends on which country. We probably tip more in the UK than anywhere else in Europe, but not to the CRAZY, INSANE degree you do in America. Do you think this is a BAD thing?
lol! Probably in Europe, wait staff get paid decently. The reason Americans have to leave big tips in the US is that the staff get paid below minimum wage. There's a separate minimum wage for wait staff, and maybe for hotel workers (whom you're also supposed to tip), and it's lower than the main minimum for everyone else. It's a bit exploitive.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:51 AM

73,039 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Is this for all of Europe? I ask because there are alot of nations in Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe