Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 11:08 PM

360 posts, read 1,088,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
In view of this, have you checked out Macedonia's gov't website, or embassy site, to see their requirements?

I've been surprised to hear from visitors to Albania that it's nice there. Personally, I'd prefer Montenegro. You don't have too many options. The Bay of Kotor in Montenegro is a beautiful sight!
Actually contacted their embassy and they sent some info. Doesn't list fees though and we're a year away, so no rush yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 11:27 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
Actually contacted their embassy and they sent some info. Doesn't list fees though and we're a year away, so no rush yet.
I have a friend who lived in Bulgaria for years and loved it. (He was young at the time.) But more recently, he said he wouldn't recommend it for foreigners, even to visit, unless they're renting a car. But to knock about the country alone--no. I wonder if the person posting about Macedonia was talking about a similar thing. If you fit in (and speak the language, and don't come across as the equivalent of a hayseed), it can be great. But if you don't know what you're getting into, then don't.

I would keep exploring, if I were you. You still have a few countries left to research.

And btw, ever since Ceausescu imposed a monthly cash requirement even for tourists, Romania has demanded people pay for the privilege of being there. So I guess I'm not surprised at that business visa fee, but it's disappointing. I was rooting for you and Romania. On the other hand, it's not unusual; most, if not all, the European countries have an "investor" category, where people can buy their way in if they have enough cash. Romania's just happens to be the cheapest, at $1500/year, though that can really add up if one is planning an entire retirement there.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:25 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,210,300 times
Quote:
If so did you like it? And why do the Balkans seem so much more interesting than the Schengen EU?
I visited Skopje, and yeah, I liked it.

I find the Schengen EU more interesting though...I mean, not really a fair comparison, Schengen Eu versus the Balkans.....

Old 01-26-2016, 09:46 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,538,736 times
I once looked at some mountains in Macedonia from just south of the village of Brod in Kosovo. Beautiful.

The Balkans are cool. Serbia is a must-see country. Very, very affordable, with good food and lots of cultural and historical things to keep you stimulated. I'd go back to the area in heartbeat because it has everything for a fraction of the cost of the Mediterranean Europe of the west.. The weather is pretty good, and Albania's beaches are a mere hop and skip away if you need that element to your vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

I find the Schengen EU more interesting though...I mean, not really a fair comparison, Schengen Eu versus the Balkans.....
Disagreed completely. I find the breakup of Yugoslavia to be equally as compelling as either of the world wars - which sill have a lot of place in the Balkans anyways. There's a number of museums and galleries that are great for getting lost in and learning about regional history. There are some really cool capitals in SE Europe (Belgrade, Sarajevo, Pristina...) . You can also experience three different religions in a tiny portion of land; Orthodox, Christian, and Islam. The food is amazing and underrated. It has a great strip of beaches, it's very, very cheap, and you can see several different types of lifestyles you would never see in Western Europe.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:50 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,025,201 times
Quote:
My wife and I are looking at places to retire overseas. Yep, Americans, which means we have to jump through some hoops. Considering traveling every 3 months between places in non-Schengen countries. Finding the Balkans to be affordable, safe, and English is widely spoken to varying degrees. Of course this is all research at this point, plan to visit soon. We'd really like to settle on two cities to travel back and forth every 90 days. Bitola, Macedonia and Cluj, Romania are on the radar for now.
OK great, couple of points though:

- Assuming you don't speak any Slavic language, then Romania seems your best bet as they are using the Latin alphabet and it will be easier for you in the beginning to read signs, menus etc.

- I'm pretty sure there are many agreements between the EU and the US, say like double-tax avoidance and others which will make Romania or Bulgaria better choices then say Macedonia or Montenegro.

- There is some climate difference between northern Romania and Ohrid. I guess 3 degrees colder or so in northern Romania.

- Not to sound like racist but >30% of the population of Macedonia are Muslims, usually Albanians living there. Skopje is your best bet if you want ethnic Macedons who are christians/atheists.

- None of the countries is using the Euro but Romania may adopt it some point the near future, Bulgaria will not do so, judging by the "mood" in the last 5 years.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
OK great, couple of points though:

- Assuming you don't speak any Slavic language, then Romania seems your best bet as they are using the Latin alphabet and it will be easier for you in the beginning to read signs, menus etc.

- I'm pretty sure there are many agreements between the EU and the US, say like double-tax avoidance and others which will make Romania or Bulgaria better choices then say Macedonia or Montenegro.

- There is some climate difference between northern Romania and Ohrid. I guess 3 degrees colder or so in northern Romania.

- Not to sound like racist but >30% of the population of Macedonia are Muslims, usually Albanians living there. Skopje is your best bet if you want ethnic Macedons who are christians/atheists.

- None of the countries is using the Euro but Romania may adopt it some point the near future, Bulgaria will not do so, judging by the "mood" in the last 5 years.
What I'm finding researching on the 'net is English is taught in school and most Macedonians speak it to varying degrees. Menus usually are in both Cyrilic and English. But yes, Cyrilic looks nearly impossible to decipher.

The Muslim thing worried me at first, and decades ago there was an Albanian insurrection. Appears to be peaceful now, biggest problem recently was dealing with all the refugees passing through.

We really want decent internet. If we can't get it in Macedonia then we'll look at Romania/Bulgaria or Serbia. Oradea, Romania and Nis, Serbia might make for a very interesting, affordable retirement.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:05 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Reviewing the latest posts, OP, and setting aside any prejudice I have re: Serbia (due to their role in the regional wars), I have to acknowledge that the suggestion to use Serbia as your 2nd location would make the most sense, considering that it borders on Romania, so shuttling back and forth as you envision would be very easy. That's what strikes me, after reading these posts. And if you want some beach time, you can drive down to Montenegro's coast, or Albania. Croatia, of course, is also good for that, though more expensive. Closer to Italy, though, if your wife wants to visit there.

Let us know what you decide on, when you're ready.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:06 PM

5 posts, read 11,154 times
I have been in Skopje and Ohrid. Ohrid is great little town. There si very nice lake. Food is great and cheap, drinks too. If you want to relax and have good time for little money go for it. Domestic people are very nice and wan't rip you.

Old 01-26-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

But is there a truly affordable Schengen country? The Balkans not only have a lot of variety but, at least for now, are affordable enough to allow us to occasionally visit those expensive European countries.

Old 01-26-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesnanor View Post
I have been in Skopje and Ohrid. Ohrid is great little town. There si very nice lake. Food is great and cheap, drinks too. If you want to relax and have good time for little money go for it. Domestic people are very nice and wan't rip you.
I've yet to see a negative about Ohrid. We're leaning towards Bitola though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe