Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 03:29 PM

319 posts, read 395,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ2SI View Post
If you think that Yugoslavia makes any sense, what about a Westslavia -- a single country for the West Slavs -- or Eastslavia -- a union of the East Slavs? Those wouldn't work either.

The nations of the former Yugoslavia have their own histories, cultures, religions, identities, economies, and languages (even if count Serbo-Croatian as a single language, the country never had a common language; it spoke three different Slavic languages: Serbo-Croatian, Macedonian, and Slovenian.) Even their geopolitical ties are different: Serbia often looks toward Russia, while Slovenia, for instance, has always tended to be pro-Western.

Yugoslavia was created due to the specific geopolitical circumstances of the early 20th century, and it was only kept together first as a Monarchist dictatorship (before WWII) and then as a Communist dictatorship (after WWII). There is no reason why the countries of the former Yugoslavia can't have friendly relations, but trying to unite them in the from of some artificial neo-Yugoslav entity doesn't make any sense. There already is a mechanism for European integration and it's called the EU.
Then by following this logic we could tear apart Italy, Spain or Germany into regions, because they have differences within themselves. Serbian and Croatian are more similar than the dialects in Italy btw. Only Slovenia would be the odd one, but it is a tiny tiny piece of land...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 03:38 PM

10 posts, read 9,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya_ View Post
Then by following this logic we could tear apart Italy, Spain or Germany into regions, because they have differences within themselves. Serbian and Croatian are more similar than the dialects in Italy btw. Only Slovenia would be the odd one, but it is a tiny tiny piece of land...
But Italians and Germans have a sense of common nationhood. The Serbs and the Croats never had that; even in Yugoslav times, they considered themselves "Serbs" and "Croats," not "Yugoslavs." (A few people did consider themselves "Yugoslavs," but they were always a tiny minority.)

As for the language argument, the Irish also speak English (most of them), but that doesn't mean that they should join the United Kingdom again. The Austrians speak German, yet no one is pushing them to join Germany. And besides, three countries of the former Yugoslavia -- Slovenia, Macedonia, and Kosovo -- speak their own languages.

Don't forget that Yugoslavia only existed between 1918 and 1941 and then again between 1945 and 1991 -- two very short periods of time, historically speaking. (And both of them ended in failure.)

Last edited by AZ2SI; 01-29-2016 at 03:54 PM..

Old 01-29-2016, 03:55 PM

10 posts, read 9,460 times
And Slovenia may be a "tiny, tiny piece of land," but its language is at the core of its national identity.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:39 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,025,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ2SI View Post
But Italians and Germans have a sense of common nationhood. The Serbs and the Croats never had that; even in Yugoslav times, they considered themselves "Serbs" and "Croats," not "Yugoslavs." (A few people did consider themselves "Yugoslavs," but they were always a tiny minority.)

As for the language argument, the Irish also speak English (most of them), but that doesn't mean that they should join the United Kingdom again. The Austrians speak German, yet no one is pushing them to join Germany. And besides, three countries of the former Yugoslavia -- Slovenia, Macedonia, and Kosovo -- speak their own languages.

Don't forget that Yugoslavia only existed between 1918 and 1941 and then again between 1945 and 1991 -- two very short periods of time, historically speaking. (And both of them ended in failure.)
I agree with you, Serbia has a complex that they were never big empire and never ruled all their neighbors unlike Bulgaria or Greece...or Hungary and the biggest irony is how their "great" Yugoslavia was actually headed by a Croat - Tito. That's like Erdogan to become the emperor of Bulgaria and then Bulgaria to claim it's independent empire ruling over Turkey, it's funny...

Old 01-29-2016, 08:26 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,347,329 times
Unfortunately I've only been to Croatia (and Greece), but I really loved the country. I like their food, I like their culture, I love the nature and the cities. It's awesome.

Now, I can only speculate which other countries on the Balkan peninsula I'd like. I think Slovenia could be awesome, definitely on my list of places I want to visit. Not that far either. Montenegro also looks insanely beautiful. So I guess my top picks would be Croatia, Slovenia and Montenegro.

Out of the countries you listed I feel pretty indifferent about Serbia, Macedonia and Albania. I don't feel drawn to them. Just very "meh..." in general.

As for Bosnia, I don't really know what to think about it. Places like Sarajevo and Mostar look great, but I think the country is a bit too crazy for my liking. According to friends, it's not always very safe and that's a huge downer for me.

And that brings me to Kosovo. Not very interested in it and it seems to be even more unsafe than Bosnia. Not planning to go there. Also, it lacks nice cities that could persuade me to go there, as in the case of Bosnia.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:53 PM

251 posts, read 396,639 times
Greece, I guess.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:18 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,022,530 times
My head is like Macedonia, but there's another part of me that's just like Italy. No Balkan there.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:07 AM

128 posts, read 83,778 times
Maybe eight old friends from Bosnia. And one from Albania.

Beer handle in crime of old Alban friend so we knowing us.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:40 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,040,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle View Post
Maybe eight old friends from Bosnia. And one from Albania.

Beer handle in crime of old Alban friend so we knowing us.
Don't mean to be rude but are you using google translator?
I can't understand anything you try to say.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:22 AM

128 posts, read 83,778 times
Youre englishmen or american I can not english word I say ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe