Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 04:18 AM

595 posts, read 719,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessly View Post
...So what you're saying is, you don't live in Catalonia and ergo don't speak Catalan in other regions. Go to Barcelona, nobody wants to speak Spanish. Obviously if you have Catalan friends outside of Catalonia (like in Sevilla or Granada or Madrid etc etc etc), the conversational language is not going to be Catalan, whether your Spanish friends are FROM Catalonia or not...
First of all, Catalan is speaking in other regions, not only Catalonia, actually, Arigarisha is from one of this regions and I guess that Catalan is her first language, or at least she is bilingual.

And in second place, in Barcelona there are more people with Spanish as first language that Catalan, so you have more chances of hearing Spanish than Catalan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 06:19 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,877,240 times
Barcelona is NOT safe, you shouldn't be lulled into a false complacency by thinking it. One must be constantly on alert because of pickpockets (ubiquitous). However English is widely spoken and understood.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:53 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,296,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigarisha View Post
That's a lie. I have plenty of friends from Barcelona and most of them speak Spanish on a regular basis. Only one Catalan from a small town asked me if I minded him speaking to me in Catalan because it's his mother tongue and he was more comfortable speaking it, while I replied to him in Spanish, no big deal.
The probles is not people from Barcelona not understanding spanish, the problem is them refusing to use it when in front of a foreigner who obviously does not speak it and instead tries his best to express himself in broken spanish.

It happened to me several times, and while I can pretty much understand 30 or 50% of spanish, I really don't understand catalan, and assuming that every foreigner will speak catalan is a bit exaggerated, especially if people have a good knowledge of standard spanish.

In the end in Barcelona I almost always used Italian (in cafés half of the people are Italians) or English / French.

Or maybe locals spoke spanish in a heavy catalonian accent which I could not understand

Old 02-08-2016, 07:00 AM

667 posts, read 940,954 times
When F.C.Barcelona played last year here in Belarus against BATE, they had a press conference before the game.
The player Busquets insisted on speaking Catalan, even if the interpreter (a Belarusian guy who spoke Spanish) didn't really know the language.
Of course Catalan and Spanish are similar, so the interpreter somehow managed, but it was not always easy. And Busquets refused to speak Spanish (the coach as far as I remember did agree to use Spanish).

Old 02-08-2016, 07:10 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas de Lezo View Post
Barcelona is much safer than any american city of the same size. When I say american I mean from Alaska to Patagonia.
I don't find Barcelona dangerous but this is simply not true. Canadian cities are in the Americas between Alaska and Patagonia and basically all of them are as safe or safer than Barcelona.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Not true why? Based on what?
As he said, Canadian cities are pretty safe.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
So are Spanish cities. Spain as whole is a safer country than Canada. Check the facts. There are crime statistics out there. Example: Crime Index by Country 2016
Numbeo also shows Montreal and Toronto (the two Canadian cities of comparable size to Barcelona) have lower crime than Barcelona.

BTW, I don't think Barcelona is unsafe.

But it's well known that Canada cities are among the safest in the western world, along with Nordic cities and Australian cities.

I don't think we need a PhD thesis to prove it, no more than we need a statistical report to prove that it snows in most Canadian cities in the winter.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
So are Spanish cities. Spain as whole is a safer country than Canada. Check the facts. There are crime statistics out there. Example: Crime Index by Country 2016
He didn't say otherwise. He just said that Canadian cities are as safe as Barcelona.
These crime statics means nothing on this discussion since they are based on countries, not cities.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
I always finds amusing americans asking about safety in western europe.

Spain has a lower crime index than Canada or Australia.
I am not American. At least not in the usual way that word is used: someone from the United States of America.

And you're barking up the wrong tree if you think I am an apologist/denialist about crime in the United States.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Spain has a lower crime index than Canada or Australia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post
Those crime statics means nothing on this discussion since they are based on countries, not cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe