Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 04:14 PM

4 posts, read 3,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Famine? The last Norwegian famine happened before 1814. The emigration peaked in 1885 and then again in 1905. The majority left due to social and economic reasons. I believe the Homestead Act was of great importance. Most Norwegian emigrants settled in the Upper Midwest.
Remember that Norway had been in wars and occupied.

- Napoleon war. Norway was not happy about Denmark being in alliance with Napoleon. Lots of soldiers from Norway died and Britain had blocade in the north sea which caused starvation in Norway.

- After the Napoleon war Sweden invades and occupy Norway for almost a 100 years.

- 1905 Norway breaks free from Sweden

- 1940 Nazi Germany invades and occupy Norway for 5 years.

- 1945 Norway breaks free from nazi Germany

Last edited by Bloob; 02-07-2016 at 05:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 04:31 PM

6,469 posts, read 8,200,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloob View Post
Remember that Norway had been in wars and occupied.

- Napoleon war. Norway was not happy about Denmark being in alliance with Napoleon. Lots of soldiers from Norway died and Britain had blocade in the north sea which caused starvation in Norway.

- After the Napoleon war Sweden invades and occupy Norway for 100 years.

- 1905 Norway breaks free from Sweden

- 1940 Nazi Germany invades and occupy Norway for 5 years.

- 1945 Norway breaks free from nazi Germany
Denmark had to cede Norway to Sweden after they lost the war. I do not understand what the Nazi invasion has to do with Norwegian emigration to the US.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Sweden did not invade Norway. Denmark had to cede Norway to Sweden after they lost the war. I do not understand what the Nazi invasion has to do with Norwegian emigration to the US.
If it was not an invasion then why was Norway in war with Sweden in 1814?

Old 02-07-2016, 04:53 PM

6,469 posts, read 8,200,485 times
Quote:
If it was not an invasion then why was Norway in war with Sweden in 1814?
That is true, but the war only lasted a few weeks and with few casualties. It was not like Norway could win against the mighty Sweden. The outcome for Norway was not bad either.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
That is true, but the war only lasted a few weeks and with few casualties. It was not like Norway could win against the mighty Sweden. The outcome for Norway was not bad either.
Well Norway was already on it's knees after the Napoleon war, so why sweden needed many weeks no one knows.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:46 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,357,436 times
Quote:
Well Norway was already on it's knees after the Napoleon war, so why sweden needed many weeks no one knows.
The swedish army wasn´t particularly mighty in 1814.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:39 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,117,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I also find Italian and Spanish railway systems heads and shoulders above the German one, the latter is simply god awful punctuality wise.
I am always amazed how punctual my commuter train (S-Bahn) now is. Since they have replaced the old one with a new railway. The old one was horrible, especially in autumn and winter. A few foliage leaves on the tracks and the wheels spins. Fair weather rolling stock material

Old 02-08-2016, 10:47 AM

8,873 posts, read 8,462,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
I am always amazed how punctual my commuter train (S-Bahn) now is. Since they have replaced the old one with a new railway. The old one was horrible, especially in autumn and winter. A few foliage leaves on the tracks and the wheels spins. Fair weather rolling stock material
Well I was actually referring to DB, which seems to run unpunctually on a regular basis lol.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:58 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,117,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Well I was actually referring to DB, which seems to run unpunctually on a regular basis lol.
Almost all S-Bahn lines in Germany are operated by Deutsche Bahn (90 of 102 S-Bahn lines). The S-Bahnen here in Düsseldorf run almost always exact to the minute. I would say more than 90% of the time. And when they are late then mostly just 1, 2 or 3 minutes. And the reason for such delays are mostly passengers that block the doors for other passengers (latecomers).

The biggest problem were these old locomotives that towed the rail cars of the S6 (Köln-Düsseldorf-Essen).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DR_Class_243
The locomotive was a relict from former Deutsche Reichsbahn in former East Germany. With the more modern railway, the S6 now has to wait about half a minute longer than needed at several stations. The train is too fast for the schedule. The acceleration of the newer trains is much higher.

The DB has huge issues with the punctuality of their long distance trains. The DB has far too few long distance trains. The manufacturers have issues with the delivery of new trains because of the long time, that is needed for the approval process. A lack of investments into more modern signalling installations. Temporary speed restrictions, because many bridges and tracks need an overhaul. But politicians prefer to build shiny new railway stations instead of investing into more banal, but more important things.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:05 AM

30 posts, read 36,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbury View Post
As an Italian, I quite agree that Italy, even northern Italy, is not "nordic" in any way.

For a simple reason: the efficiency of some public services is way too low. Simply put, some public services, like civil justice or employment agency are outright dysfunctional.

Of course, not all public services are of poor quality. The national health service, for example, is decent.
Yet there is no uniform standard of quality and the citizen is helpless when dealing with arrogant public employees and terrible bureaucracy.
Have you seen this one, Northitalian and Norwegian has quite a much same kind of "genetic colours" ?

https://i.imgur.com/owfn8e3.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe