Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 11:12 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,435,681 times

Advertisements

Paris seems to be a lot more influentional than Tokio to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 10:17 PM

360 posts, read 983,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Paris, in demagraphic weight and cultural and economic importance is very comparable to London. The difference is that Paris is culturally french. that many anglophone thinks that only anglo cities are important because they don't have contact with global french culture.
What about Tokyo then?

It is culturally non-Anglophone as well. So why is Paris not often considered in the same tier as them?

Old 02-18-2016, 07:56 AM

8,869 posts, read 8,452,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
I would never count Tokyo as a global city. In my opinion a global city should have an outstanding culturally diversity. But Tokyo is quite the opposite. A global city should have many visiting guests from all over the world. It should have an airport with many international guests. Japan is for me a very isolated country. It was in the past a very important export country, but that has changed. It doesn't participate in trade like other countries.
Tokyo Narita is the world's 8th busiest airport by cargo traffic, busier than Frankfurt and Paris CDG. Tokyo Haneda is the world's 4th busiest airport by passenger traffic, again busier than Frankfurt, Paris CDG, and London Heathrow. Japan is also the the world's 5th largest exporter and importer.

Quote:
Maybe I have such a view, because Japan is so far away I would describe Japan more like a monastery island
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
Paris seems to be a lot more influentional than Tokio to me.
In Asia Pacific, Tokyo is far more influential than Paris is. Not that Paris isn't influential, but it's seen as some sort of fantasy land in many Asians' eyes.

Singapore is important economically, but culturally there's very, very little to write home about, barely anything really, while Tokyo has tremendous cultural output. Politically Singapore is also not that powerful. Singapore only has like 40 diplomatic missions overseas, even an international orphan like Taiwan has twice as many.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:08 PM

545 posts, read 866,887 times
Tokyo is by far the most influential city in Eastern Asia. We all know plenty of Japanese multinationals from there, we all often come across Japanese culture (food, culture, movies and TV show, music, and so on) even if we don't like it. Only Pekin, Seoul or Shanghai can compete. But exactly like Paris its influence is mostly regional. Tokyo shines in Eastern Asia and the Pacific. Paris in Europe, some of the Middle East and Africa.
Technically both are global city. They just don't compete one against the other like Paris vs London or Tokyo vs Seoul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe