Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 04:05 PM

29 posts, read 29,009 times

Advertisements

I remember reading that three ethnic groups get bad racism/classism in Europe: Gypsies, Muslims and Blacks.

Gypsies are self-explanitory and mainly affect Central Europe.

Blacks are also self-explanitory from a US perspective, though I believe that Blacks tend to be more lower class in EU than in US.

Muslims are more confusing, since each country has a different ethnic group who's image is attached to the "Muslim" stereotype. The image always involves chavviness (uneducated, criminals, pedophiles, riots, etc) but is often held by a different ethnicity depending on the country involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 04:13 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,018 times
Good grief... let's pick apart the white ethnic groups that contribute to "chavviness" instead... after all, that's the demographic where chavviness originated in the first place.

People forget that there are some wealthy pockets of Muslims in Europe, as well as the regular working class and middle class Muslims, blacks, and so on.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:17 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
People forget that there are some wealthy pockets of Muslims in Europe, as well as the regular working class and middle class Muslims, blacks, and so on.
Black money they send back to the homeland.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:23 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,051 times
This posts reeks of ignorance, how is racism and xenophobia against anyone self-explainatory? Not even Romas as there are certain ones who have decided to integrate into our society and are valuable members of it.

I will still try to address the post, Blacks (a large percentage of them) come from Subsaharian Africa, especially Western Africa. They are mostly economic migrants who have first came here through illegal methods but once they settle, they integrate into society very quickly. They make the effort to learn the language and to fit in, at least that's what i have experienced in Italy.

The same goes for Muslims but there's a larger number of them who try to resist change. I have also noticed that their women especially (talking of the veiled ones because there's no other way to tell a North African or a Middle Eastern from an Italian) have the tendency to keep to themselves and to group in only between themselves. There are rarely specific shops for Western Africans (except hairdressers but that's self explainatory ) but there are several for Muslims. That said, i think a majority of them is still well integrated despite what far right wing parties and City Data users (most of them Americans who've never been to Europe= would have you believe

Old 02-14-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
And so what? We had to study in school that ITaly was one fo the few European countries to avoid a hard crisis in the early 20th century because most of the people who had left the country for the Americas and Northern Europe sent money back to their homeland keeping the country afloat so this isn't anything new.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:27 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
And so what? We had to study in school that ITaly was one fo the few European countries to avoid a hard crisis in the early 20th century because most of the people who had left the country for the Americas and Northern Europe sent money back to their homeland keeping the country afloat so this isn't anything new.
So what... they aren't paying any taxes in the country that adopted them.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
So what... they aren't paying any taxes in the country that adopted them.
They sure are more often than not. And in the same way there are some who don't pay anything, i know of several Italians who have found all imaginable ways to avoid paying even a cent of their own money. I mean, last year only 50% paid the public television tax and that was only €113

Old 02-15-2016, 04:40 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,018 times
Quote:
That isn't just black immigrants... East Asians and South Asians and South and Central Americans do the exact same thing, at least many of the ones I've met in Canada do that. Those wired payments are often called "remittances" here. I don't see a connection to "chavviness" either...

Old 02-15-2016, 06:08 AM

33 posts, read 37,727 times
another north american absolutely infatuated with labeling people by skin colors and races.

Honestly, relax america! not everything needs to be given a color!

Old 02-15-2016, 09:45 AM

426 posts, read 394,412 times
Chavs are a European subspecie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe