Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2016, 01:07 PM

3 posts, read 2,522 times

Advertisements

I'm from the U.S. and I am changing career paths and want to pursue a second bachelors in Environmental building / sustainable home design & innovation in the scandinavian region. There is lot of praise for their green design over the past years and I want to know what schools have the best programs.

In the future, I'd like to be able to design and implement my own sustainable building designs inspired by scandinavian and new england style. My father owns a construction company and I would like to start my own after my studies with this particular focus.

Everyone who has majored in these fields or something similar or know of a friend who has, I am asking if you could please give me some valuable feedback.

1. What does this program at this university focus on and what is the success rate of their students? How good are these professors? Does anyone truly notable teach at this university that I can learn a great deal from?

2. How are the courses tailored? Is it straight forward and concise? How helpful are the staff and professors at this university/ program? How hard is it for international students to get an internship in these countries (even if to paid) just to gain experience?

3. I am an international student so I will need to find a job while I am a student there. Is the process of getting a job as a student/ expat difficult and if so, how do I get around it? What are your experiences or ones that you've heard?

I am so eager and passionate about design and innovation but I want the best instructor to guide me through the process.

ALSO:::: IF you know any blogs or forums that are GREAT in terms of this topic, please send me information!

Key factors to consider:
- Cost is not a problem
- First BA of Arts in International Studies emphasis in Development
- I'm 22 years old and graduating this August
- Would like a great social atmosphere

-------

I am open to any other suggestions regarding school choice. Just tell me why you feel that it's the best and send me resources and how likely are my chances in getting in. Thank you1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 02:44 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,797,212 times
http://www.aalto.fi/en/research/strengths/#key_areas

There's your answer. It's in Helsinki, Finland. One of the leading universities in Northern Europe on sustainable development.

Ok, I didn't go there, but I'll answer your questions:

1) The success rate is difficult to define, as Finnish pupils get in for free and can drop out at will. Unlike in many other countries it's very difficult to get in, and also very difficult to get kicked out. The professors are not maybe known worldwide, but they are the top tier. After all, we can boast with the best education system in the Western world. IDK if you know the mobile game Angry Birds, but it was born there.

2) Straightforward is pretty much in our genes. Our society is very egalitarian, for example you call your professor by his/her first name. The professors and tutors are there for you. After all, you're already priveledged that you qualified to get in, so they won't lose you.
Foreign students have a quota different from the domestic quota, so you won't be competing with Finns, but other foreigners. It's only up to you. The entrance examination will be the toughest thing you do before your bachelor's. And you are automatically enrolled for the master's degree when you get in.

3) Depends on yourself. Create contacts, do some networking, get good grades and try to learn at least some elementary Finnish. If you speak only English and have little work experience it's hard to get a part-time job. When you graduate it's a different story.

But anyway, even if you have as a non-EU student have to pay the tuitition fees, you are under Finnish social laws. That means that you're eligible for subsidised student housing, subsidised hot meals at the student canteens, subsidised public transport and free student healthcare, so your running costs will be quite low. Depending on how much you party.

The Aalto University and other universities in Helsinki have a ton of foreign students and expats, so you have no problem blending in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe