Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you in favour of TTIP
Yes, I'm in favour of TTIP 0 0%
I'm in favour of a free trade agreement but against TTIP 9 52.94%
No, I'm against a free trade agreement in general 6 35.29%
I'm undecided / not enough informed yet 2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 05:54 AM

1,772 posts, read 1,503,808 times

Advertisements

I couldn't find an existing thread, so here is one.

Free trade agreements with the US and Canada are an ongoing issue in our news.
Especially the non-public negotiations are criticised along with the proposed investment treaty which enables US companies to proceed against EU-states before an arbitral tribunal. Yesterday I've seen a documentary wich states that Canada has made bad experiences with a US-investment treaty.

On the other hand TTIP could lead to economic growth and jobs, so I would like to hear your opinion about that topic. US-opinions are appreciated too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 07:25 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,127 times
The fact it would lead to a further weakening of consumers' rights and that it is strongly against registered names and etiquettes for several products to make me side against this.
The secrecy and arrogance with which it's being discussed are just further proofs of it.

Old 02-19-2016, 07:54 AM

1,772 posts, read 1,503,808 times
I agree, the negative aspects outweigh the positive ones from what I have read so far. They should hold a referendum about this.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:14 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,301,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donar View Post
I couldn't find an existing thread, so here is one.

Free trade agreements with the US and Canada are an ongoing issue in our news.
Especially the non-public negotiations are criticised along with the proposed investment treaty which enables US companies to proceed against EU-states before an arbitral tribunal. Yesterday I've seen a documentary wich states that Canada has made bad experiences with a US-investment treaty.

On the other hand TTIP could lead to economic growth and jobs, so I would like to hear your opinion about that topic. US-opinions are appreciated too.
I think that global and regional free trade and now investment partnership agreements (your actual poll questions significantly understate the scope and depth of the issue) signed over the past 25 years or so, and very recently among certain Pacific Rim countries, have proven to be quite pernicious for average incomes of most average people in the countries of early industrialization vis a vis those in newly industrializing countries, despite all the gains in technological gadgetry that we all seem to enjoy.

Now we are talking about two industrially advanced regions pursuing a similar free trade and investment partnership agreement.

Twenty-five years ago perhaps it would have not been so pernicious, even welcome back then, but in view of recent demographic trends, among others, to a significant extent illegal, this type - and so hardly any new type at all - promises to be equally pernicious.

So as it stands, in my view, it really doesn't matter, so I have no opinion.

Good Luck!

Old 02-19-2016, 08:36 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,322,791 times
No, I´m not.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:06 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,797,212 times
Absolutely not. TTIP will dismantle the EU quarantine an strip bot the EU and national parliaments of their power. The worst is though the ISDS policy, which is highly undesirable to any independent nation. We've seen what it has done to Canada.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:12 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,814,413 times
I'm in favour of a free agreement trade but if it is completely renegotiated (it would need to be a strict ones and at our conditions, otherwise i wouldn't lose sleep about it as the negatives would outnumber the positives).

Aside from what most of you have said (which i agree with), a key clause for me would be that the USA would have to discourage local companies from counterfeiting European products and specialities putting a similar etiquette to the most well known original one but offering a lower quality product instead and from using materials which can't be used in the production of alimentary goods in EU. This misleads uninformed consumers (purchasing cheaper Parmesan instead of what's actually the original product, Parmigiano) and hurts our economies attaching a negative name to our goods.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:09 PM

586 posts, read 830,785 times
TTIP is an appalling idea if you feel a country has a right to determine it's own trade policy.

It's not a trade agreement in the manner that most people would consider the term, with all parties having equal rights and opportunities under it.....

It's a pro-business policy...... erm, a heavily pro-US business policy at that.

What Europe benefits from it I am yet to see.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:55 PM

400 posts, read 422,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Absolutely not. TTIP will dismantle the EU quarantine an strip bot the EU and national parliaments of their power. The worst is though the ISDS policy, which is highly undesirable to any independent nation. We've seen what it has done to Canada.
You're right. Let the Canada's example be a warning to you Europeans.

Signing an 'agreement' with the corporate owned Congress will slowly and systematically undermine democratic control over your societies. And do not for a moment think that the Americans will uphold their side of the bargain if and when they violate any provisions of the TTIP. With the Americans its always heads they win and tails you lose - take that from a Canadian who have been observing how the americans do business. By the way, I'm referring to powerful American monied interests here and not to individual americans.

I hope you fight this agreement with all your might. You'll be doing us a favour over here if you're successful in stopping one of these dangerous neofeudal agreements.

Old 02-20-2016, 05:42 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,486,778 times
It sounds bad for the EU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe