Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 04:09 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
That's what I was gonna say too - so much fun - you can use your imagination and often have the place to yourself. I don't know the names of all the ones we've explored - but almost all were in Germany. You can just drive along and see them in the landscape and wend your way there.

Gotta say, though, those palace gardens in this thread are impressive - I love Lilly ponds!
Those castles are usually always lovely, abandoned or ruined castles are scattered throughout as pretty much any city, town or village had one if not several castles and forts first as a defensive mean and then as the residence for princes, counts, dukes, kings, ecc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 06:36 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,126,285 times
Some of my favorite Castle / Castle Ruins
Attached Thumbnails
What are your favorite palaces and castles in Europe?-burg-manderscheid-full.jpg   What are your favorite palaces and castles in Europe?-altdahn02.jpg   What are your favorite palaces and castles in Europe?-neckarst_2-neckarst-schwal2.jpg  

Old 02-26-2016, 08:49 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,337,189 times
Versailles and Schönnbrunn, of course.

Other favourites include:Würzburger Residenz, Schloss Bruchsal, Schloss Werneck, Schloss Schleißheim, Schloss Nymphenburg.
Balthasar Neumann is one of my favourite archiects.
Hohenzollern is one of my favourite castles.
I think the whole medieval city of Carcassonne can be included on that list too.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:15 AM

8,869 posts, read 8,452,657 times
Chateau de Vaux-le-Vicomte is really nice. The garden was so elegant and there were barely any tourists, the same cannot be said about Versailles, which is basically a Chinese/Korean colony nowadays.

Palacio da Pena looks kinda cartoonish, but nonetheless impressive.

Quinta da Regaleira is not really a palace/castle per se but the whole estate is beautiful and mystical. I really enjoyed it as well.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:01 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,904,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Chateau de Vaux-le-Vicomte is really nice. The garden was so elegant and there were barely any tourists, the same cannot be said about Versailles, which is basically a Chinese/Korean colony nowadays.

Palacio da Pena looks kinda cartoonish, but nonetheless impressive.

Quinta da Regaleira is not really a palace/castle per se but the whole estate is beautiful and mystical. I really enjoyed it as well.

It was rebuilt by a German architect in the 19th and contains elements found in castles in Germany. Cinderelas Castle in Disneyland was modeled on Bavarian castle architecture perhaps that is why you make the cartoonish association.

It sounds like you have visited Sintra recently.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:20 PM

8,869 posts, read 8,452,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
It was rebuilt by a German architect in the 19th and contains elements found in castles in Germany. Cinderelas Castle in Disneyland was modeled on Bavarian castle architecture perhaps that is why you make the cartoonish association.

Yeah the colours are not what you'd usually see on castles/palaces. They are very bright.

And yeah I went to Portugal in January and had a blast.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:55 PM

17,347 posts, read 11,293,931 times
Not as grand as some but from the country of my ancestors, the fortress Guaita in the tiny Republic of San Marino. Built in the 1200s it's the first of three fortresses on top of Mt Titano overlooking the Italian countryside towards Rimini. It's said on a clear day, you can see across the Adriatic to Croatia.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:02 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,266,801 times
Since I live in the Loire Valley I cannot not speak about our castles, wich are emblematic to that times of renaissance that have both features of medieval times and features of the future pleasure palaces of the classical period.

Last edited by french user; 02-27-2016 at 12:16 AM..

Old 02-27-2016, 07:41 AM

426 posts, read 394,671 times
But those castles were refurbished by the nobility or bourgeois, removing their warring component. A symbol of the power of couteous nobility and bourgeosie in France.

Manzanares el Real, not refurbished it seems.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:01 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,266,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post

Actually the newswanstein (not sure about the spelling) that inspired Disney is itself a romantic fantasy reinterpretation of medieval architecture. It is not a medieval castle itself but is from the modern times. The newshwanstein castle was inspired among other by the renaisance Ussé chateau, near Tours, where Charles Perrault (who was a Tourangeau) shoose to settle the original story of "sleeping beauty"

Last edited by french user; 02-27-2016 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: Is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe