Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 03:06 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,479,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Why would someone living in a liberal democracy want to move somewhere where there's only a flawed democracy that's veering closer and closer to dictatorship and a place where they would just as easily get discriminated against by the local population.

Not only that but they should leave their centuries old culture and homes back, this one is one of the most moronic statements i have ever heard.
Sadly, your statement is typically ignorant. I think it's doable and necessary. If you knew anything about history you would understand that Europe is once again being flooded with people. Back in the 14th century Europe was in bad shape due to over population. The water was dirty, the forests were all but destroyed and war was almost a constant. Then the New World was discovered.

Russia is one of the final frontiers you might say. Work out a deal and give these people a new start politics be damned. If their life is so hard where their coming from a new start in another place should be welcomed. Unless of course they aren't really after a better life they can make and just want the benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 03:25 PM

257 posts, read 518,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Sadly, your statement is typically ignorant. I think it's doable and necessary. If you knew anything about history you would understand that Europe is once again being flooded with people. Back in the 14th century Europe was in bad shape due to over population. The water was dirty, the forests were all but destroyed and war was almost a constant. Then the New World was discovered.

Russia is one of the final frontiers you might say. Work out a deal and give these people a new start politics be damned. If their life is so hard where their coming from a new start in another place should be welcomed. Unless of course they aren't really after a better life they can make and just want the benefits.
Why do you believe that the Russian would be ok with this? I mean the refugees do not want to go to Russia anyway. It is true that Siberia is getting emptier and emptier. In fact the numbers of Russians have been declining for more than 20 years. But replacing Russians by Syrians? Do you think this is an acceptable solution for The Kremlin? Moscow had to launch two attacks against The Chechen rebels in the nineties. Why would they voluntarily take in other moslems? It does not make too much sense to me.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:59 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,085,919 times
Quote:
This is not about space, they want a better standard of living. If they had to take care of themselves in Russia, they would just stay in Turkey. Also, Russia would never accept such a deal.

It will be a lot better if they stay in Turkey. First world nations should help them there, instead of only helping the minority who smuggle themselves to Europe.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:15 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,822,598 times
Quote:

The continent had been struggling in the 14th century because of plague and climatic events and for no other reason, the situation was already on the up in the 15th century so much that the second half of the century marked the start of Renaissance in Italy while the New World was discovered only at the end of this century and the benefits of this discovery started only in the 16th century.

Europe isn't overpopulated, in reality it faces the opposite phenomenon, birth rates across Europe have been falling for decades (France, Ireland and UK are the exception) and population will be decreasing soon. It already is in Eastern European countries so European countries shouldn't worry about that. The problem with your statement is that people usually leave their countries to seek a better future and there's no such thing in Siberia and in the Russian Far East which are cold barren lands where minerals are the only thing that's no offer and whose cities are more polluted than London, Rome and Paris could ever get

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuKulgur View Post
Fine, the most homogeneous countries should start, to even out the foreigner % of the population EU wide. To give an example, Germany would have to accept 16 mil (Italy around 13 mil) more foreign people to arrive at the same foreigner % as Estonia. I mean its all about solidarity, so we should even out the playing field, right?
I wasn't hinting at the Baltics but mostly at Poland, Hungary, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Romania, ecc. These Central European countries who are as homogenous as a country could get and where the only minority is formed by Romas who have been there for centuries anyway.

Also, what i mean is that this factor would only be one of many. Unemployment Rate, Labour Demand, GDP Growth would be deciding factors as much as that other one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Maybe because you saw it as a criticism of Republicans, while you are like the rest of the world?

That's not even remotely close to reality. Who do you think Europeans talk about when they criticize Muslims, bosnians or arabs/africans? And I know that in Asia, they classify people after race. If you are a white person in China, then you are a foreigner no matter what.
The Syrians many of us are worried about are every bit as white as we are, we are talking about Middle Eastern and North African people because they are the ones who are coming, not Bosnians.

Last edited by improb; 03-06-2016 at 04:30 PM..

Old 03-07-2016, 11:40 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,894,147 times
Europe is the most densely populated continent in the world and it has never been so populous in its history, so receiving further millions of newcomers is not exactly an option.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:42 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,340,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post

The Syrians many of us are worried about are every bit as white as we are, we are talking about Middle Eastern and North African people because they are the ones who are coming, not Bosnians.
What does it matter what color their skin is? Chechens can be blonde and have blue eyes, that doesn't prevent them to cut off heads and to be just as f***ed up as any other Jihadist scum.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:31 PM

257 posts, read 518,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
What does it matter what color their skin is? Chechens can be blonde and have blue eyes, that doesn't prevent them to cut off heads and to be just as f***ed up as any other Jihadist scum.
This! I could not agree more. This is not about a skin colour. Personally I am willing to accept everybody who truly believes that men and women are equals, that being gay is not a reason to exclude or kill and that rules should be followed not ignored or ridiculed. Sadly The Middle Eastern societies have not come far that yet and that is why taking in so many people from such different societies can only lead to the fail of the integration effort.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:46 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,822,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiri View Post
This! I could not agree more. This is not about a skin colour. Personally I am willing to accept everybody who truly believes that men and women are equals, that being gay is not a reason to exclude or kill and that rules should be followed not ignored or ridiculed. Sadly The Middle Eastern societies have not come far that yet and that is why taking in so many people from such different societies can only lead to the fail of the integration effort.

That's what i was actually trying to explain to Camlon. sorry if there was a misunderstanding. An Islamic fundamentalist can come from anywhere, for example he can even be a born and bred Estonian (to name one of the countries where there are the least Muslims) with the most Estonian sounding surname around.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:11 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,479,259 times
All I'm trying to say is moving to Russia should be an option for some of the refugees. Some of them are fleeing warfare and strife and seeking a better life, some are just looking for a hand out and to take advantage of the system.

Europe should work out a deal with Russia to take some of them, those willing to go. Russia/Europe can set them up and in a generation or so Russia will have productive citizens. Its not an idea just to be written off, it's viable and doable.

Just so long as idiots and window lickers don't mess up the deal from the start.

No one on this forum speaks for the desperate refugees who would like the opportunity if it was presented to them.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:49 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,006,019 times
Turkey really has the EU by the balls. I guess they want 6 billion now to take the refugees back? They also want in the EU , which will allow muslim terrorists to move freely and work in EU. Thats Scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe