Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 02:31 PM

684 posts, read 714,236 times

Advertisements

1. OP has bolded the incorrect part. The quote states "also said" He probably was trolling and for a while spewing hate. Atheism is the most common religion in Russia.
2. With regard to ***** riot. I want to know which church you guys go, I am going to attend services, strip naked and run around screaming obscenities. I will have an RT reporter film this so that when I get arrested RT can have field day with lack of democracy in 'merica.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 02:43 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Ah, the usual apologists already turned up. Heil Putin, I'm out.
What apologists? I have not read a single post that agreed with this.

Old 03-04-2016, 02:55 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northporlarbear View Post
"offending believers' feelings", that is illegal? Hurting someone's feeling is illegal? Or is it because religion is involved. What's going on with Russia. It's not immoral & shouldn't be illegal neither; he is entitled to feel or say such.
As boxus said, it was deliberately provocational, on a forum for believers. So trolling can land you in jail, or storming a church to cause a ruckus inside can, as well. No one's tried anything like that in a Catholic Church in the West or in Latin America, so we don't know what would happen if they did. It's not against the law, but who knows what the reaction would be. Could get interesting.

There used to be a law against proselytizing for religions that were not traditional, historical religions of Russia. The US embassy forced them to repeal that, I heard. I thought it was a good law. Russia was becoming littered with Hare Krishna chanters, Jesus Freaks, Jehovah's Witnesses, and other riff-raff.

Good post, boxus.

Old 03-04-2016, 02:59 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The5thOfNovemner View Post
1. OP has bolded the incorrect part. The quote states "also said" He probably was trolling and for a while spewing hate. Atheism is the most common religion in Russia.
2. With regard to ***** riot. I want to know which church you guys go, I am going to attend services, strip naked and run around screaming obscenities. I will have an RT reporter film this so that when I get arrested RT can have field day with lack of democracy in 'merica.
Atheism isn't a religion.

Old 03-04-2016, 03:35 PM

684 posts, read 714,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Atheism isn't a religion.
This might be off topic, but it's a semantical difference

A religion is system of beliefs.... "officially" we can not proof or disproof.

It's a system of beliefs

Old 03-04-2016, 04:17 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,025,201 times
So let's see here:

Putin meets the president of Iran = "Russians are anti-gay, Muslim horrible people"
Russia jails Neonazi who hates Jewish fairytales = "Russians are horrible people who like Israel".

Clinton and her supporters logic in its finest...

Old 03-04-2016, 08:27 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,122,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuKulgur View Post
There's no God but Putin, and Putin alone!
Amen.

Old 03-05-2016, 03:44 AM

147 posts, read 100,409 times
There is a law against inciting ethnic and religious hatred.

We have 195 nationalities in Russia.

As to religions there is no accurate statistic but as to the opinion poll of 2012 we have:

58,8 bln or 41 % — orthodox and are in Russain Orthodox Church (ROC)
9,4 bln or 6,5 % — muslims
5,9 bln or 4,1 % — Christians but they consider themselves out of any confessions
2,1 bln or 1,5 % — orthodox but they don't belong ROC and they are not staroobryadzy
1,7 bln or 1,2 % — practiced traditional religion of their ancestors, worship the gods and the forces of nature
700 000 or 0,4 % — buddhism
400 000 or 0,2 % — staroobryadzy
300 000 or 0,2 % —protestants
140 000 or 0,1 % — profess the Eastern religions and spiritual practices (Buddhists and Hare Krishnas)
140 000 or 0,1 % — catholics
140 000 or 0,1 % — judaism
36 bln or 25 % — They believe in God, but do not belong to a particular religion
18 bln or 13 % — do not believe in God

It is very dangerous to incite ethnic and religious hatred in Russia, so that's why it is forbidden by law.
And I approve it.

As to that case there was a disscussian in a social net and Kravtzov used obscene words about the Bible. His opponents were outraged by it and Kravtzov adviced them to sue him. So they did. Because they consider that he offended their religious sensibilities.
You can disscuss religion but you can't unjure your opponents.
Even if sombody would offend me without theme religion I can sue him.

Old 03-05-2016, 10:56 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serabal View Post
There is a law against inciting ethnic and religious hatred.

We have 195 nationalities in Russia.

As to religions there is no accurate statistic but as to the opinion poll of 2012 we have:

58,8 bln or 41 % — orthodox and are in Russain Orthodox Church (ROC)
9,4 bln or 6,5 % — muslims
5,9 bln or 4,1 % — Christians but they consider themselves out of any confessions
2,1 bln or 1,5 % — orthodox but they don't belong ROC and they are not staroobryadzy
1,7 bln or 1,2 % — practiced traditional religion of their ancestors, worship the gods and the forces of nature
700 000 or 0,4 % — buddhism
400 000 or 0,2 % — staroobryadzy
300 000 or 0,2 % —protestants
140 000 or 0,1 % — profess the Eastern religions and spiritual practices (Buddhists and Hare Krishnas)
140 000 or 0,1 % — catholics
140 000 or 0,1 % — judaism
36 bln or 25 % — They believe in God, but do not belong to a particular religion
18 bln or 13 % — do not believe in God

It is very dangerous to incite ethnic and religious hatred in Russia, so that's why it is forbidden by law.
And I approve it.

As to that case there was a disscussian in a social net and Kravtzov used obscene words about the Bible. His opponents were outraged by it and Kravtzov adviced them to sue him. So they did. Because they consider that he offended their religious sensibilities.
You can disscuss religion but you can't unjure your opponents.
Even if sombody would offend me without theme religion I can sue him.

Please, there are already laws against inciting violence. This law has nothing to do with this.

This law, intent wise, is more or less like the various hate crime laws in other European countries, except this law is poorly written, thus leads to idiotic application of it.

As I posted before, the law was a knee jerk reaction to people wanting stricter laws against those who do stupid stuff like that band did. What the band did was disorderly conduct, however, disorderly conduct does not carry a heavy enough penalty in some people's views, so they wants something elevated for when this conduct goes on in a religious setting. This is similar to a hate crime law where the punishment is more due to the motive of the crime.

So while in theory it sounds good on paper (though i am usually against these types of laws), the actual law is poorly written and applied poorly due to how it is written. Obviously written to solicit favor with the nationalist party.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:12 AM

964 posts, read 995,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The5thOfNovemner View Post
This might be off topic, but it's a semantical difference

A religion is system of beliefs.... "officially" we can not proof or disproof.

It's a system of beliefs
Atheism is the absence of supernatural beliefs. Or more literally, it's the absence of belief in one or more divinities. (A-the-ism) Technically, Buddhism is a form of atheism, in that it's non-theistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe