Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 04:25 PM

990 posts, read 1,944,855 times

Advertisements

I am taking a flight to either Riga or Vilnius in late april as the flights are very very cheap right now, we are talking about 8 to 20 euros for one way ticket. Which Old Town section in Riga or Vilnius has the most to offer in terms of sightseeing, good food, size, and things worth seeing in the rest of the city and its surroundings? Which one is the safest to walk around in after sunset? And in which one are you least likely to be a victim of a Russian mafia scam at the bars and night clubs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 04:34 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,560,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
I am taking a flight to either Riga or Vilnius in late april as the flights are very very cheap right now, we are talking about 8 to 20 euros for one way ticket. Which Old Town section in Riga or Vilnius has the most to offer in terms of sightseeing, good food, size, and things worth seeing in the rest of the city and its surroundings? Which one is the safest to walk around in after sunset? And in which one are you least likely to be a victim of a Russian mafia scam at the bars and night clubs?
20 Euros

What the hell??

Old 03-16-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
20 Euros

What the hell??
Yes, from Copenhagen to Riga is around 20 euro with Norwegian Air certain mondays in April.

Malmö to Vilnius is 8 euro on certain wednesdays in april. (I live near Malmö and Copenhagen, they are my local airports).

Old 03-16-2016, 04:44 PM

1,704 posts, read 1,838,977 times
i am taking a flight to either riga or vilnius in late april as the flights are very very cheap right now, we are talking about 8 to 20 euros for one way ticket.
Quote:
which old town section in riga or vilnius has the most to offer in terms of sightseeing, good food, size, and things worth seeing in the rest of the city and its surroundings?
Riga imo, although vilnius is cheaper in general.
Quote:
which one is the safest to walk around in after sunset?
None of them is the wild west or Transylvania where after sunset vampires appear.
Quote:
and in which one are you least likely to be a victim of a russian mafia scam at the bars and night clubs?
Much more Russians and other Slavs in Riga, but nothing to really worry about.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:47 PM

How big are the price differences? I have only been to Klaipeda in Lithuania and there it was extremely cheap to eat and drink at restaurants compared to Sweden, and much cheaper than in Hungary and slightly cheaper than in Poland.

And how is Tallinn in comparison to the 2? No flights there from Malmö/Copenhagen though except ultra expensive SAS.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:06 PM

8,868 posts, read 8,452,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
20 Euros

What the hell??
That's pretty normal for European budget airlines if you book the flights early enough, and April is not exactly peak season.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:33 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,838,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
How big are the price differences? I have only been to Klaipeda in Lithuania and there it was extremely cheap to eat and drink at restaurants compared to Sweden, and much cheaper than in Hungary and slightly cheaper than in Poland.

And how is Tallinn in comparison to the 2? No flights there from Malmö/Copenhagen though except ultra expensive SAS.
Not that big, for a person from Sweden, it will still be very affordable.

Tallinn is definitely the most expensive place in the Baltics, imo also the nicest looking, highest English level out of the three capitals, but considering bang for the buck, it falls behind.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:10 AM

I ended up with booking a flight to Vilnius. Cheaper flights, cheaper hotels closer distance to airport and interesting things to see within an easy reach of the city like the Trakai castle a bit outside and the Hill of Crosses in Siauliai a few hours away. Will maybe go to Riga in summer instead and make it a combined trip with Tallinn as I see its easily reached with bus and train from Riga.

Would be interesting to take a day trip from Vilnius to Minsk, Belarus also as I see its really close but I assume a visa would be too tricky to get in this short time.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:28 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,560,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
That's pretty normal for European budget airlines if you book the flights early enough, and April is not exactly peak season.
No wonder you guys are so happy.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:56 PM

It is indeed very cheap to travel in Europe with all the low cost airlines we have like Ryanair and Wizzair, sometimes even cheaper than train and bus. But you have to book in good time, preferably a month or two before departure. London for example can be reached from most major cities in Europe for 10 or 20 euros year round, of course to crappy airports far far from the centre, but anyways thats what it costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe