Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2016, 04:39 AM

39 posts, read 54,369 times

Advertisements

I always hear that milan after expo has become more touristic.Ok,it's true.But i hear that having become more touristic it has also become an international city.Wait a moment?What's the connection between tourism and internationality?Hasn't milan always been considered the most international city of italy(because of business,fashion,design..not for tourism)?So,has milan become international now with tourusm;(so florence and rome are even more international)or has always been the only international city of italy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 06:07 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 933,273 times
Compared to Rome, Milan does not look as "romantic" in the tourist eye.

Even though, Milan is the financial and fashion capital of Italy.

Plus, the Northern Italians are very racist or discriminatory to people who look Southern Italian, Sicilian, North African/Middle Eastern, or East Asian.

The Lega Nord party has its headquarters in Milan and has more popularity up North than the rest of Italy.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:20 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
Compared to Rome, Milan does not look as "romantic" in the tourist eye.

Even though, Milan is the financial and fashion capital of Italy.

Plus, the Northern Italians are very racist or discriminatory to people who look Southern Italian, Sicilian, North African/Middle Eastern, or East Asian.

The Lega Nord party has its headquarters in Milan and has more popularity up North than the rest of Italy.
Are Northern Italians discriminatory towards Southern Italians? No, they aren't, as a Southern Italy i can attest that but they have been in the past, maybe as recently as the late 90s. Lega Nord may have its headquarters in Milan but i don't think that even now, that it's in its brightest period, they will get more than 20%.

That said, i think that despite being an openminded city, Milan is undeniably right wing leaning. That contrasts with Turin, Bologna and Firenze. Even now that the center right is at its worst, Milan is the only city where they have a chance of electing a mayor (there's also Naples but the center left is split into two and the Five Star Movement is definitely left wing leaning there)

Old 04-03-2016, 12:44 AM
FBF

601 posts, read 933,273 times
There is a North and South division where Northerners often complain how Southerners come and take work in Milan and other parts of industrious North, despite being Italian!

I had a lady yell at me because my Italian pronounciation sounded like a Southern dialect (based on my hostel roommate who is from Naples) by saying things why am I even over here in Milan!

Not every Milanese is bad, but they clearly see themselves as more productive and culturally superior than Southern Italians despite sharing a nationality.

Last edited by FBF; 04-03-2016 at 12:55 AM..

Old 04-05-2016, 06:11 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,890,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
There is a North and South division where Northerners often complain how Southerners come and take work in Milan and other parts of industrious North, despite being Italian!

I had a lady yell at me because my Italian pronounciation sounded like a Southern dialect (based on my hostel roommate who is from Naples) by saying things why am I even over here in Milan!

Not every Milanese is bad, but they clearly see themselves as more productive and culturally superior than Southern Italians despite sharing a nationality.
I guess you visited Italy in the 60s, nowadays most Milanesi are of "mixed heritage" (God, I hate this American bullshìt terms) and there's not much animosity towards Southerners but stereotyping (I'm a Northerner and I have been told countless times that we can't cook, that Northern Italy is ugly, that we are as cold as Germans but that's just stereotypes).
As for Southern pronunciation, it's quite strange that, although it's true that Southerners are easily recognisable (as Veneti) from their accent, especially Pugliesi and Neapolitans.
Then, for the last paragraph, I don't know culturally, but it's true that Northerners are more productive and industrious, likewise it's also true that in the South you'll eat generally better and receive a warmer welcome.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:03 AM

9,370 posts, read 14,322,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
... in the South you'll ... generally ... receive a warmer welcome.
You'll also get a swifter boot in the ass on the way out.

Anyway, to the OP, I don't imagine that the Expo has changed anything in Milan beyond a one-time boost in business tourism.

How's that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe