Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 02:50 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcosta View Post
I was planning on traveling to Switzerland and Italy in the near future from the states but not so sure now in light of the Paris and Brussels attacks. Do others out there feel the same as I do about traveling to Europe?
Nope! Actually looking for my annual vacation there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 02:58 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,591,053 times
There isn't anywhere in Western Europe in my top five right now. If there was, I'd still go though. I have friends and relatives still going on a regular basis or living there for work, travel, and visits with family.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:43 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
Quote:
I was planning on traveling to Switzerland and Italy in the near future from the states but not so sure now in light of the Paris and Brussels attacks. Do others out there feel the same as I do about traveling to Europe?
Yeah I would. That's why I'm cancelling my trip to Vienna and Budapest and going to Venus and Jupiter instead.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:59 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,814,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I have gone every year to Europe for the past few years for vacation.

I presently have Rome in mind for this year, but I'm going to see between now and booking time if there are any more "incidents"...I have Argentina queued up just in case.

Might be time to start looking elsewhere anyway. Europe is losing its appeal because they are losing their cultural uniqueness. In a couple of decades it'll just be one hodge-podge multi-culti morass.

Indeed, I seemed to have seen more Burkas and hijabis in city-center Vienna last summer than Austrians!
Rome is safe, there has never been an Islamic terroristic attack in Italy. Our secret services have learnt how to handle these situations from the Years of Lead when there were constant threats from both extremist left and right wing groups as well as there having been attack even from Sudtirolese and Sardinian independestists and from Palestinian nationalists.

Anyway, Europe, or at least pretty much anywhere away from the largest cities will keep its cultural uniqueness for decades and centuries to come. You know, there are countries such as Poland who are almost completely ethnically Polish and at the same time multicultal countries such as Germany, Belgium and UK

Quote:
Go, the likelihood of attacks is minimal, the same or even below the one you would have for example of being involved in a mass shooting in the USA

Old 03-29-2016, 05:40 PM

520 posts, read 600,993 times
Quote:
I'd be more worried sitting in a movie theater or entering a school in the US.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:14 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramercy View Post
I'd be more worried sitting in a movie theater or entering a school in the US.
Considering 24 million Americans sit in a movie theater each week and there are 50 million school aged children in America attending school 5 days a week, I would say that it is pretty safe to see a movie or go to school in the US.

By that standard, European countries are probably a pretty safe bet.

If you really want to be safe, don't smoke, avoid excess weight and processed foods, and don't hang out in ghettos after dark, American or European.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:29 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
I won't go to Paris or Brussels currently. The rest I would visit but if the attacks accelerate, I could add other areas that I wouldn't visit.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:47 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,321 times
I wouldn't recommend you guys visiting Germany.

Intelligence says they'll be targeted next.

I think South is safer.

Italy, Spain, Portugal...etc.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:43 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Personally I wouldn't dare go to Seattle, apparently two British tourists were shot in Miami, I am far too cowardly to go and watch a Seattle Sounders game now, I think the foreign office should at least let people know that travelling to the US as a British tourist means imminent death, I've seen NCIS New York, nothing but robbery, murder and rape, I am surprised that so many New Yorkers have managed to survive for so long, as for me next year I will be holidaying on the Norfolk Broads where gun crime isn't wildly out of control!

Old 03-30-2016, 05:02 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,115,518 times
Carry on as normal really.

unless told otherwise by a government department that there is a significant risk, I would be inclined to carry on visiting the world; otherwise we let the terrorists win.

And in case, no country is truly safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe