Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 10:05 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Why does a bomb in Madrid prevent you from visiting Andalusia?
And tell me, did anything horrible happen in Andalusia, or even Madrid itself, after the bombing in Madrid in the 90s? And you still think your decision and paranoia is rational?
2004 Madrid train bombings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 10:08 AM

185 posts, read 457,618 times
I won't let terrorism stop me from living! That's exactly what they want. To paralyze people and their cultures because they are not their own (their own radicalized views anyways - not all Muslims).

In fact, I am traveling now and was in Paris and other than some additional security (NYC levels - so I was used to it) it seemed very safe. Was in Marrakech when the Brussels attacks happened... flew to Madrid the next day. Still traveling and flying all over (few more weeks to go!)

can't stop.
won't stop.
wanderlust in full effect!

Old 03-30-2016, 02:16 PM

106 posts, read 75,846 times
The risk of being victim of an attack is so small that I wouldn't even factor that.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:27 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguru View Post
Good luck with holidaying there! It wouldn't be my first choice but whatever floats your boat!
Are you for real?

Old 03-31-2016, 06:52 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,059,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Are you for real?
I think they're taking the **** out of you wanting to go to the Norfolk Broads

Old 03-31-2016, 07:12 AM

330 posts, read 228,601 times
Exactly.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:28 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
I think travelers to foreign countries can be more at risk (thieves, assault, etc) because they generally stand out as travelers thus making them easy targets. At home they have a better sense of places to avoid, what seems abnormal, and blend in with the local population. Another thing that makes travelers a target is those who travel from one continent to another (like North America to Europe or Asia or vise versa) have spending cash. Young travelers (teenagers to early 20s) generally don't have money and are working their way across the country/continent but their ignorance makes them a different type of target, usually for drug smugglers and or sex slave industry.

If it was safe for my wife to travel long distance I would want to take my wife to favorite places I visited while in the Navy. These places include Barcelona, Italy (Gaeta, Venice, & even though I didn't get there, Rome), Malta, and Rhodes Greece. I did enjoy Athens Greece but I would warn visitors to the Acropolis of Athens to wear shoes with a very good grip non-slip soles. The many thousands of years of visitors walking the marble steps of the Acropolis has made them extremely slippery. I also enjoyed Haifa and Jerusalem Israel. Even with the threat of attacks, I felt safe there. Except for the muslims and orthodox jews, the people there were very friendly, open, and fun. To me, religion is like wine, best when taken in moderation. Countries I visited were Spain, UK colony of Gibraltar, France, Monaco, Italy, Malta, Greece, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Turkey, Egypt, Tunisia, Morocco, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, & Dubai. Would never return to a muslim majority country. My visit to France was on the southern coast along with Monaco and the people were horrible and the food was overrated. I found the people in Spain, Gibraltar, Italy, Malta, & Greece to be friendly and open to visitors. Bulgaria and Ukraine was still in a transition phase since our visit was 1995.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:04 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
You need to step back and put it in perspective, as these attacks are being sensationalized by the media. For the most part most countries are safe using common sense. Have flown and still flying.

World travel map: where is it dangerous? - CBCNews.ca

Old 03-31-2016, 08:12 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
You need to step back and put it in perspective, as these attacks are being sensationalized by the media. For the most part most countries are safe using common sense. Have flown and still flying.

World travel map: where is it dangerous? - CBCNews.ca
Yep

Old 03-31-2016, 08:21 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,606,547 times
I, an American in Europe, have only been killed by terrorists three times around this continent. I don't learn my lesson though, because I'm still here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe