Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 08:57 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,410,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
I, an American in Europe, have only been killed by terrorists three times around this continent. I don't learn my lesson though, because I'm still here
LOL! Only 3 times?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 09:11 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,607,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Countries I visited were Spain, UK colony of Gibraltar, France, Monaco, Italy, Malta, Greece, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Turkey, Egypt, Tunisia, Morocco, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, & Dubai. Would never return to a muslim majority country.
I find it quite ludicrous that people are lumping all Muslim majority countries together under one blanket assumption. I just got back from Morocco last week and felt entirely safe and quite enjoyed myself. I'd say the same about visits to Turkey. You're telling me you wouldn't enjoy a nice vacation to Bali or the Maldives? Sure, I wouldn't set foot in Syria or Libya right now, but look at Honduras, they have cities with some of the highest murder rates in the world, but apparently 88% of their population identifies as some sort of Christian. Statistically, there are Christian majority countries that have plenty of issues of their own, but it's not as hot of a news topic right now.

I do agree with your statement about religion being like wine, and it seems that any country that mixes church and state has historically had major issues. I suppose it's worth noting that the majority religion in both Belgium and France is Christianity- but I guess the recent events there stem from other issues (yeah, yeah, related to Muslim immigrants, which make up a very small percentage of the population). If you won't go to any Muslim countries, and many of you here are afraid to go to Europe, some of the safest and most western countries on the planet, where will people travel now? Maybe it's better if people start staying home, but take a look at the violence statistics in major cities of the USA.. it seems that nowhere is safe anymore by a lot of peoples' standards.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:32 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,486,476 times
Unless the terrorist up their game right now is probably the safest time to travel to Europe in history. Far more people were dying in terrorist attacks from 1960 to late 1990s during the Irish and Basque rebellions. I would avoid Turkey because things are getting worse and Ukraine but otherwise I would travel to Europe in a heartbeat.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:14 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
I would still go to Europe

Old 03-31-2016, 01:18 PM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
I find it quite ludicrous that people are lumping all Muslim majority countries together under one blanket assumption. I just got back from Morocco last week and felt entirely safe and quite enjoyed myself. I'd say the same about visits to Turkey. You're telling me you wouldn't enjoy a nice vacation to Bali or the Maldives? Sure, I wouldn't set foot in Syria or Libya right now, but look at Honduras, they have cities with some of the highest murder rates in the world, but apparently 88% of their population identifies as some sort of Christian. Statistically, there are Christian majority countries that have plenty of issues of their own, but it's not as hot of a news topic right now.

I do agree with your statement about religion being like wine, and it seems that any country that mixes church and state has historically had major issues. I suppose it's worth noting that the majority religion in both Belgium and France is Christianity- but I guess the recent events there stem from other issues (yeah, yeah, related to Muslim immigrants, which make up a very small percentage of the population). If you won't go to any Muslim countries, and many of you here are afraid to go to Europe, some of the safest and most western countries on the planet, where will people travel now? Maybe it's better if people start staying home, but take a look at the violence statistics in major cities of the USA.. it seems that nowhere is safe anymore by a lot of peoples' standards.
Turkey has had its own terrorist attacks including one today. Bali has had nightclub bombings.

Old 04-01-2016, 05:02 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philkirkham View Post
I think they're taking the **** out of you wanting to go to the Norfolk Broads
Are you suggesting they didn't actually take my post with a 'pinch of salt'!?

Old 04-01-2016, 05:09 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Are you suggesting they didn't actually take my post with a 'pinch of salt'!?
Besides what's wrong with the Norfolk Broads! Lovely part of the world.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:44 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,126,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Besides what's wrong with the Norfolk Broads! Lovely part of the world.

Just googeld it looks nice

Old 04-02-2016, 12:10 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,266,801 times
There have been a terror attact recently in the US too (san Bernardino)

Old 04-02-2016, 12:37 AM
FBF

601 posts, read 933,273 times
I am more likely to die by a crazy mass shooter in my country (USA) than visiting Europe....so yes, I will be going to France again for 2 weeks come this summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe