Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 08:27 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,262,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I always admire the optimism of people here on city-data regarding some cities but it will take a lot more time to turn around Rotterdam.

Nothing wrong with a little optimism. Have you been there recently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 08:53 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,689,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Bordeaux has been rated the top 1 destination to visit.

Lonely Planet says Bordeaux is world's best city to visit - The Local

In the same year, it is ranked the most livable city in France.
Lyon is also very interesting...
Ranked best European city for a weekend in 2015 or 2016. It's an interesting city with good history, food, safe but unfortunately i m not sure there is a lot of hype about it

Old 05-24-2017, 09:44 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,363,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
Lyon is also very interesting...
Ranked best European city for a weekend in 2015 or 2016. It's an interesting city with good history, food, safe but unfortunately i m not sure there is a lot of hype about it
Lyon is well-known to folks interested in all aspects of food -- 'foodies'.

And I agree. Great food city (even the random, local cafe eatery) with a lot of history and beauty in its central historic area...and the food markets!

But it is difficult for the average overseas tourist (American or otherwise) to get to - no direct flights, expensive and long train ride from Paris, or need to rent a car.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:33 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,307,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
Lyon is well-known to folks interested in all aspects of food -- 'foodies'.

And I agree. Great food city (even the random, local cafe eatery) with a lot of history and beauty in its central historic area...and the food markets!

But it is difficult for the average overseas tourist (American or otherwise) to get to - no direct flights, expensive and long train ride from Paris, or need to rent a car.
you call a 2 hour train ride a long train ride ?

In any case tourism has risen exponentially there in the last 15 years.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:53 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,388,040 times
Cannes!

Old 05-24-2017, 11:09 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,363,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
Just feeling curious and wondering what cities in Europe are trending right now. Places with a good buzz and people want to travel to or live in.
In the recent past--maybe still now--we've had Prague, Barcelona, Helsinki, Tallinn, Dublin, and some others.
Any opinions on this?
Split, Croatia? Budapest, Hungary? Berlin? Eastern Europe seems to be on the upswing, especially among the young, value-conscious or history buffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
you call a 2 hour train ride a long train ride ?

In any case tourism has risen exponentially there in the last 15 years.
Yes. It felt longer than 2 hours to me. And I thought expensive for what you got, compared to rail travel elsewhere in the Continent. Regardless, not conducive to being a day-trip from Paris, which would limit it for many tourists flying direct to Paris with the intention of touring mostly Paris.

But yes, I can believe that tourism is increasing there. It has IMO a nicer, more laid-back ambiance, with superior food overall, than Paris. Too bad so many places in Paris now serve inferior substitute ingredients (e.g. oil/shortening or margarine (?) instead of high-quality butter in pastries) in so many of its commercial establishments - ones dominant in touristed areas (and sometimes even non-touristed areas).

Old 05-24-2017, 12:25 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,689,959 times
Quote:
Split, Croatia? Budapest, Hungary? Berlin? Eastern Europe seems to be on the upswing, especially among the young, value-conscious or history buffs.

Yes. It felt longer than 2 hours to me. And I thought expensive for what you got, compared to rail travel elsewhere in the Continent. Regardless, not conducive to being a day-trip from Paris, which would limit it for many tourists flying direct to Paris with the intention of touring mostly Paris.

But yes, I can believe that tourism is increasing there. It has IMO a nicer, more laid-back ambiance, with superior food overall, than Paris. Too bad so many places in Paris now serve inferior substitute ingredients (e.g. oil/shortening or margarine (?) instead of high-quality butter in pastries) in so many of its commercial establishments - ones dominant in touristed areas (and sometimes even non-touristed areas).
It's actually very easy...Once you are in Les Halles with RER b, you survived the hardest part IMO. Then it's just Metro 14 or RER d until Gare de Lyon (yuk, this one is the worst train of France). Then take your TGV. Usually it's Duplex Tgv for Lyon, I don't like them because you have not a lot of space when you take a lot of stuffs with you. At least they are fast.

The problem with SNCF is that they use yield management for tarifications and outside french people, I don't even know how it is possible for a non french to buy a ticket with a reduction you could have. It means that on Sunday afternoon you pay 80 euros one way while Monday noon wil be 35 euros. If you buy a Prem's ticket (long time before) prices can be ridiculous . I guess a lot of foreigners buy the maximum price possible for a ticket...shame on SNCF.

Lyon also has an international airport if you want to skip Paris.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:

I don't think a day trip is worth it considering the distance, time and things to see. It would make more sense to do Paris -> Lyon -> Alps -> South -> Atlantic -> Britanny -> Paris or something.

I'd consider a day trip for places really close to Paris.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:34 PM

3,904 posts, read 4,558,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Maybe Berlin, Krakow, Sevilla. I would choose the latter.
Some friends just got back from a film music festival in Krakow, and said they were very impressed with the city.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:17 PM

Also, Berlin has been trendy for something like 25 years now. I thought trendy meant something that people had found out about recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe