Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite Alpine country
Austria 3 7.69%
Germany 5 12.82%
Francy 4 10.26%
Italy 9 23.08%
Switzerland 11 28.21%
Slovenia 7 17.95%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 08:55 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,445,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I don't know, crossing the border it seems it takes like 15 minutes to get to Turin. That said, I admit I don't know the northern Alps that much and they have loads of mountains up there. Still, when i talked to friends who had been there and the prices seemed to be outrageous, especially for Italy. Often twice more expensive as the French Alps. I also had friends from Trento and thereabouts and they said that most hotels / places to stay were expensive and kinda luxury-like. I looked for regular campings in the area but most had no possibility to host tents which I thought was weird. Only winnebagos or wooden houses, so it was more expensive as a result.

I have the impression that mountains are not a popular destination in Italy, or at least not financially accessible for "lower-class" people, at least not as much as they are in France. Hopefully I'm wrong. I need to make it to the northern mountains and see it.
Nah, it takes a little bit longer. I live more or less midway between the Frejus and Turin, and it takes 30 min of motorway to reach the Tangenziale di Torino. To reach my university in Turin center from here I need more than one hour

About prices, I agree that in here it is mostly really expensive. Even if I live really close to the ski resorts, and so I would not have the expense for the hotel, I never ski because the equipment and the daily pass alone are both really expensive.
Summer is quite different instead, hotel prices are a little less crazy and excursion are still free.

It is also quite true that we don't associate much mountains with camping (I hope you were talking about summer), actually the only large campings I know near the Alps are the ones around the pre-Alpine lakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 09:35 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,301,802 times
Yeah, I was talking about camping in the summertime. There's nothing like sleeping in a tent above 1,000 m asl during a summer hot spell in the valley and being near a small water torrent. Not sure I'd try that in winter though.

that said it seems Italians are not to big on tents in general, I always had a lot of difficulty to find campings for summer trips where it was possible to sleep in a tent, including coastal places or wild areas on the south. I guess that must be because of the cold climate in italy

Old 08-28-2017, 09:40 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,127,783 times
Tough choice but I'll go with my dad's place of origin, the Italian Alps.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:10 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,076,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
I loved Bertchesgaden Germany. The views were great. Lake Konigsee is beautiful . Fresh smoked fish on the middle of the lake. We had a great time hiking and river rafting. The beer gardens in the middle of town really added a nice touch . There is also a lot of history in the area. We also met some Germans from Frankfurt and went hiking with them. After we hiked to the top of the mountain . There was a beer garden on top of the slope lol
That's a beautiful area.

Slovenia might be my favorite, though.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:45 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,741,740 times
I thought the thread was about the countries in general? If it's only about the Alpine parts, Italy definitely has the Lion's share of the range. Hard to choose between Italy, France and Switzerland as they all have really impressive mountains, but the Dolomites alone might tip the scales in favor of the Bel Paese.

Regarding big mountains, the Matter valley around Randa is pretty impressive: you sit 1,400 m asl and have the two 4,500 m+ peaks - the Dom and the Weisshorn - on each side of the valley a few kilometers away.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:48 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,269,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I was thinking about the southern French Alps which differ quite vastly from Haute-Savoie. I mostly hang out in the Maurienne area, and it's also not the same as the Mont Blanc area. But yeah, I don't know the Italian part that much. Still, I see many italians in the French part, but mostly people from Liguria / Tuscany, I guess it's closer / cheaper for them than to go all the way up to the Dolomites. Last winter I shared a ride from Modane to Turin with a Genovese guy who had been skiing in Maurienne.

The french alps cover a large area, but contrary to Italy defining its boundaries can be quite difficult since it goes from the highest peaks (mont blanc, vanoise, ecrins...) to hilly areas of Rhone valley, Dauphiné and Provence.

The french Alps have the specificity of being in big parts ending in mediterranean region. Most of Provence hills are actually prealps. Only in the Nice area, the high Alps are finishing quickly in the mediterranean sea without having a large prealpine zone as in other areas.

The french Alps cover a large area, probably as large as Italy does, but it actually depends of where we consider the Alps stops (Maures massif, esterel, Alpilles... are geologically not considered part of Alps but fo actually form a continuity with them..

Old 12-02-2017, 02:29 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,269,699 times
When talking about the french alps to internatioanl crowds, it seems many people think only about the areas near Switzerland and Val d'Aost, as Savoy. These areas, even if they host the Mont Blanc, the highest Mountain of the Alpine range, represent only a small part of the french Alps.

Most of the Alpine and pre-Alpine french ranges are located way further south, in Dauphiné and Provence. The offical name of Provence is actually "Provence-Alps-french riviera"... at least 50 or 60% of Provence is made of the Alps.

The part of the Alps has the partcularity, compared to Swiss, Italian or Austrian Alps to have its prealps located within the zone of mediterranean climate, which gives the typical Provençal ambiance, different from those other Alpine countries

Such as olive fiels with snow covered mountains

Or lavender fields

Or the snowing Mercantour massif mountains in the background of the french riviera

Where the Alps end into the mediterranean sea

Last edited by french user; 12-02-2017 at 02:44 AM..

Old 12-02-2017, 02:47 AM

7,220 posts, read 3,100,094 times
Slovenia.

Except nature people are nice and friendly and women are beautifull.

Also Slovenia is the closest to Serbia of all Alpine countries linguictically, culturally and geographically.

A lot of Slovenes speak Serbian language, and even if they don't speak I can understand Slovenian language around 60% because Serbian and Slovenian are south Slavic languages.

Old 12-02-2017, 03:22 AM

7,220 posts, read 3,100,094 times
Slovenia

Triglav (2864 m), the highest peak in Slovenia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triglav

Logar Valley https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logar_Valley_(Slovenia)

Babno Polje https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babno_Polje

Kočevje https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kočevje

Last edited by Nino Bellov; 12-02-2017 at 03:32 AM..

Old 12-02-2017, 06:24 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,390,072 times
They are all nice I think. I have been myself to French Switzerland only, though.
What makes me wonder is that the snow line in mountains seems to be quite low. The thing is that in photos done in summer in Alps there is still snow on mountains but when I was in summer in Caucasus I saw almost now snow (or saw less) there although Caucasus in general is higher than Alps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe