Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2018, 09:12 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Huh, how interesting.
Zapekanka means something totally different in Russian -
This is what it is: ( ok, may be a bit fancier than I was used to (in my childhood it was cooked mostly with raisins, but still.))

https://food52.com/recipes/32059-zap...ussian-cuisine
OMG, that looks like a bread made in Heaven! Made of tvorog and sour cream?! I've never heard of this. I'll have to try to make it, or talk a Russian bakery into making it. Thank you for posting this!

Old 05-25-2018, 09:14 PM

26,828 posts, read 22,606,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OMG, that looks like a bread made in Heaven! Made of tvorog and sour cream?! I've never heard of this. I'll have to try to make it, or talk a Russian bakery into making it. Thank you for posting this!
Ruth, it might only LOOK like bread, but it's really a cheese-cake, kinda ( or at least closer to it.
It's from the same family as "syrniki" ( if you are familiar with them,) but just a fancier step above. )

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/...#activity-feed

Last edited by erasure; 05-25-2018 at 09:27 PM..

Old 05-25-2018, 10:19 PM

26,828 posts, read 22,606,464 times
^
Oh look here - Germans make them too, but they mix quark with mashed potatoes.
Which is totally weird if you ask me)))

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarkk%C3%A4ulchen

Old 05-26-2018, 07:55 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,614,700 times
I think traditional British food is generally pretty bland, but that's irrelevant when any sizable city will have cuisine from all over the world. It's not like your only options are boiled beef or sheep guts.

And quite frankly if you're going to countries like Spain or Italy and concluding that the cuisine is better in America then you're probably too used to fatty, sugar and deep-fried foods.

Old 05-26-2018, 11:20 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,055,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I think traditional British food is generally pretty bland, but that's irrelevant when any sizable city will have cuisine from all over the world. It's not like your only options are boiled beef or sheep guts.

And quite frankly if you're going to countries like Spain or Italy and concluding that the cuisine is better in America then you're probably too used to fatty, sugar and deep-fried foods.
There's a WHOLE lot more to the very wide variety of "American" foods (which often blend styles from various parts of the world due to our great diversity) than "fatty, sugary and deep fried foods."

There are so many delectable regional American foods that I won't even bother trying to list them, but most of them are actually NOT deep fried, fatty and/or sugary. I mean, sure - some are, just like every place in the world, but many, many, many dishes simply aren't.

I don't blame people from the UK for being put out when people insist on stereotyping their food and I don't like it when people try to stereotype American food either.

Now German food - wow, they really do serve a WHOLE LOTTA pork and cabbage and potatoes...!

Old 05-27-2018, 04:26 PM

175 posts, read 279,721 times
This thread is embarrassing. I think OP knew it would light up like the sky on 4th of July, to use an American reference, and is entertained at the impassioned replies.

I have lived between TX and NYC for my entire life, and the food is amazing in both places. I have also had incredible food all over Europe. Don't project your cruddy choice in restaurants and markets onto an entire continent.

Old 05-27-2018, 05:02 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,249,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetnights View Post
This thread is embarrassing. I think OP knew it would light up like the sky on 4th of July, to use an American reference, and is entertained at the impassioned replies.

I have lived between TX and NYC for my entire life, and the food is amazing in both places. I have also had incredible food all over Europe. Don't project your cruddy choice in restaurants and markets onto an entire continent.
/Close thread

Old 05-29-2018, 12:54 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,735,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Huh, how interesting.
Zapekanka means something totally different in Russian -
This is what it is: ( ok, may be a bit fancier than I was used to (in my childhood it was cooked mostly with raisins, but still.))

https://food52.com/recipes/32059-zap...ussian-cuisine
There are in fact 2 dishes called "zapiekanka" in Poland, and neither resembles the russian version There is the street food variant, with cheese and mushroooms on a piece of bread, and then there is something similar to an American casserole - usually potatoes (but sometimes pasta), in a single deep dish with meats, veggies, a lot of sauce and cheese, baked in an oven. The whole word comes from zapiekać, which comes from piec -to bake.

Quote:

"Kolbasa" in Russian is what you see in this picture;

https://roscontrol.com/testlab/artic...-noy-kolbasoy/

( They can be of different varieties - "boiled" ( what they call it, the "Bolognia" type,) smoked, raw smoked, cold smoked and so on.) ( The German producers who arrived in Russia in 1703 invited by Peter The Great are behind it all of course - Russians simply tweaked it to their own taste with time.)

Yup, that's kiełbasa. Thin, thick, made from different meats, with wery varies seasoning. My personal favorite is "Jałowcowa" - seasoned with juniper berries (that's what you make gin out of). It h as a very rich, full flavor, looks like this:

Quote:
If it needs to be cooked, then it already goes into a different category, "sardelka" - they look something like this

Now "pierogi" in Russian mean yet again totally different thing (both big and small alike)

The Polish kind of "pierogi" would be identified as "vareniki" in Russian, and the variety of them are more traditional in Ukrainian cuisine than in Russian.

Oh, and the last but not least - special mentioning of "sauerkraut" in Russian cuisine.
Yes, it's used widely in cooking, but somewhat differently comparably to German cuisine.
And from what I tried in Germany ( cooked sauerkraut that is, as in home cooking,) - I didn't like it much. Russian version actually is much-much better I think.

P.S. I don't eat hamburgers here, but I hear what you are saying.
And yes, this would be a case with Russian cuisine too. Very much so. It all depends on who cooks it and what ingredients go into every specific dish.
Even the very "zapekanka" ( Russian style) would taste godawful if the tvorog ( quark) was already too sour. No amount of sugar could remedy that.

This is what a lot of Russians used to complain about in the US - that the vegetables bought in grocery stores don't have taste.
Now I see they complain that same thing happened to the vegetables sold in Russian stores)))

P.S. I am sitting here with a flue, no appetite whatsoever, so may be all these pics will help me.
Hope no one will catch my virus on-line)))
There is something different about german sauerkraut, that's for sure. It's not bad, it's just.. not the proper kind

I wish Russian cuisine was more widely known in Poland, as it is most people asked about it, think of the communist years and the food served in "milk bars" - I think you guys have them too, once state controlled, cafeteria style bars that served very inexpensive but most of the time, also low quality food. I survived most of college eating in places like that

Old 05-29-2018, 05:55 AM

17,638 posts, read 17,737,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
I’ve lived in Portugal and Spain for 6 months. I’ve gone all over the continent and tried different types of cuisines. But one thing I’ve noticed is that the food is significantly worse than in America. It might be more organic and with less preservatives, but that doesn’t equate t actual flavor.
I’m American and you’re crazy! I’ve had great food in Spain, Italy, Greece, Malta, and Bulgaria.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:23 AM

3 posts, read 2,850 times
Food in Europe is not pumped up with as many chemicals as in America, and if you go to rural regions, the food is especially fresher. Many europeans will be skinny their whole lives and once they move to America they blow up due to the amount of preservatives and hormones in their food. It may be due to this lack of chemicals that you do not like the food, however it is healthier in every way. Frankly, I find it also tastes better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe