Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 01:07 AM

427 posts, read 245,829 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, this might be a weird question...

Because of a medical malpractice settlement from when I was a baby, I get monthly payments of $1446 (which is nontaxable in the U.S, I don't know about elsewhere) that go up by 3% every year. Now, in America, that's obviously nothing, and you'll be hard pressed to live here on that much money. But in Russia, that's 95,000₽, which I was told is more than enough to live comfortably in most Russian cities, and even live somewhat decently in Moscow or St. Petersburg. I would get a student visa to do a language program for foreigners like they offer at МГУ, so I'm not worried about my lack of Russian skills (though I can say basic things already, and read it)

What I'm worried about is TRP quotas...if I went to Moscow, the chances of my name getting picked in the lottery is probably slim to none...I'd be better off going to less popular areas of Russia to get a better chance of "winning the lottery", so to say. It's possible I just don't understand how this works.

Is there any cities/Universities that you would recommend? I've had the following cities recommended to me: Kazan, Sochi, St. Petersburg, Rostov-On-Don, Novosibirsk, Nizhny Novgorod and Velizhny Novgorod. I know it gets cold the farther east you go, but I lived in Montana for a few years and I've always dealt pretty good with subzero temperatures (faranheit).

I'd love a city with a rich culture and history, but I'd be willing to give that up for a year if it meant a better chance of a TRP. Also, I didn't just choose Russia from a list of countries with low cost of living compared to America, I have always found Russian history, culture, and the language incredibly fascinating, so I picked Russia.

Maybe I'm completely insane, but my money would go much further in Russia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 09:08 AM

1,348 posts, read 625,309 times
Hi, comrade

I can't say about Moscow and St. Peterburg but in other regions of Russia 1500$ practically enough for comfort life to one person. I can't nothing say about Kazan, Sochi and other cities but I can say about Novosibirsk. I live near and often have been there. It's developed big city with population over 1million with the pros and cons of the metropolis (damn traffic.. fortunately, the subway partially solves this problem).In general, it's a mini copy of Moscow . In Novosibirsk are many universities, but two the most important: Novosibirsk State University (NSU) and Novosibirsk State Technical University (NSTU). Diploma of these universities, in my opinion, even recognized abroad. These universities have programs for foreign students and courses of russian language. Also I can advise Tomsk. It's old city, with big history, it based in 1604. There are also many good universities in Tomsk. Tomsk State University, Tomsk Polytechnic University, Tomsk Medical University and other. Tomsk is one of the scientific centers of Russia. Also can mention Krasnoyarsk. I think what Novosibirsk, Tomsk and Krasnoyrsk according to the level of education are at the same level. And probably Ekaterinburg too.

The cost of living in these cities compared to Moscow and St. Petersburg is significantly lower.
For example: rent of 1bdr flat or studio in Novosibirsk is depending of the district and the house, it's from 200$ to 500$ per month. On food may be 150-200$ if you eat at inexpensive cafes or to cook at home. One trip in the subway or bus-about 0,5$.
But you must take into account that education will probably might be paid. It is 100000-200000rub per year for prestigious universities and faculties. But basically i think 99% of foreigners are learning at the expense of state budget. They are paid a scholarship also.

In begin,I think, you must define for yourself the direction of learning.. and then already choose university and city.

And if there's any other questions you have for me, please, I am your man.

Last edited by Zimogor; 04-10-2019 at 09:17 AM..

Old 04-10-2019, 10:19 AM

26,787 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAboutRussia View Post
Hey guys, this might be a weird question...

Because of a medical malpractice settlement from when I was a baby, I get monthly payments of $1446 (which is nontaxable in the U.S, I don't know about elsewhere) that go up by 3% every year. Now, in America, that's obviously nothing, and you'll be hard pressed to live here on that much money. But in Russia, that's 95,000₽, which I was told is more than enough to live comfortably in most Russian cities, and even live somewhat decently in Moscow or St. Petersburg. I would get a student visa to do a language program for foreigners like they offer at МГУ, so I'm not worried about my lack of Russian skills (though I can say basic things already, and read it)

What I'm worried about is TRP quotas...if I went to Moscow, the chances of my name getting picked in the lottery is probably slim to none...I'd be better off going to less popular areas of Russia to get a better chance of "winning the lottery", so to say. It's possible I just don't understand how this works.

Is there any cities/Universities that you would recommend? I've had the following cities recommended to me: Kazan, Sochi, St. Petersburg, Rostov-On-Don, Novosibirsk, Nizhny Novgorod and Velizhny Novgorod. I know it gets cold the farther east you go, but I lived in Montana for a few years and I've always dealt pretty good with subzero temperatures (faranheit).

I'd love a city with a rich culture and history, but I'd be willing to give that up for a year if it meant a better chance of a TRP. Also, I didn't just choose Russia from a list of countries with low cost of living compared to America, I have always found Russian history, culture, and the language incredibly fascinating, so I picked Russia.

Maybe I'm completely insane, but my money would go much further in Russia.

From the get-go, judging by the sound of it, you will lose nothing by not moving to Moscow; in fact you will be better off.
Moscow first of all is a city of "wheelers and dealers," corrupt government on each and every level, city of the rip offs, and all kind of scum moving in for an opportunity "to make money."
Yes, it's probably the best city for the "night life" too and great "social life" overall, but a lot of it is hit and miss, so you are better off living elsewhere with much nicer people around you overall, be that Novosibirsk, Nizhni Novgorod or even St. Petersburg.

As for Moscow - you can always visit it and "experience" that megalopolis for a short period of time, on a "trial" basis.

Old 04-10-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
Hi, comrade

I can't say about Moscow and St. Peterburg but in other regions of Russia 1500$ practically enough for comfort life to one person. I can't nothing say about Kazan, Sochi and other cities but I can say about Novosibirsk. I live near and often have been there. It's developed big city with population over 1million with the pros and cons of the metropolis (damn traffic.. fortunately, the subway partially solves this problem).In general, it's a mini copy of Moscow . In Novosibirsk are many universities, but two the most important: Novosibirsk State University (NSU) and Novosibirsk State Technical University (NSTU). Diploma of these universities, in my opinion, even recognized abroad. These universities have programs for foreign students and courses of russian language. Also I can advise Tomsk. It's old city, with big history, it based in 1604. There are also many good universities in Tomsk. Tomsk State University, Tomsk Polytechnic University, Tomsk Medical University and other. Tomsk is one of the scientific centers of Russia. Also can mention Krasnoyarsk. I think what Novosibirsk, Tomsk and Krasnoyrsk according to the level of education are at the same level. And probably Ekaterinburg too.

The cost of living in these cities compared to Moscow and St. Petersburg is significantly lower.
For example: rent of 1bdr flat or studio in Novosibirsk is depending of the district and the house, it's from 200$ to 500$ per month. On food may be 150-200$ if you eat at inexpensive cafes or to cook at home. One trip in the subway or bus-about 0,5$.
But you must take into account that education will probably might be paid. It is 100000-200000rub per year for prestigious universities and faculties. But basically i think 99% of foreigners are learning at the expense of state budget. They are paid a scholarship also.

In begin,I think, you must define for yourself the direction of learning.. and then already choose university and city.

And if there's any other questions you have for me, please, I am your man.
I just emailed MGU and asked about admissions requirements, and the cost on the website was wrong. MGU is actually 384,000p per year. It's 192,000p, not 120,000p, and I'm sure I can find a much cheaper program, so that's out of the question.

I'll look into NSU and NSTU...Isn't that located within the "Science City" there?

Thank you for the city recommendations! Are they all beautiful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
From the get-go, judging by the sound of it, you will lose nothing by not moving to Moscow; in fact you will be better off.
Moscow first of all is a city of "wheelers and dealers," corrupt government on each and every level, city of the rip offs, and all kind of scum moving in for an opportunity "to make money."
Yes, it's probably the best city for the "night life" too and great "social life" overall, but a lot of it is hit and miss, so you are better off living elsewhere with much nicer people around you overall, be that Novosibirsk, Nizhni Novgorod or even St. Petersburg.

As for Moscow - you can always visit it and "experience" that megalopolis for a short period of time, on a "trial" basis.
So my idea isn't awful, but just avoid Moscow? I wish I could live there as it's so beautiful, but like you said, I could always visit.

I'm actually getting really excited for this. I feel like leaving my country could be good for me. I've been to the Middle East before for a month, so I know a bit of the frustration.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:05 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
Yekaterinburg if you like outdoors activities. Moscow will not be a fun life for an American on $1,500 a month. I say that because "living comfortably" to a Russian is not at all comfortable in your eyes. You would be insane to move to Russia without spending some time living there and feeling it out (that's what I did and decided it wasn't for me). Good luck!

Old 04-10-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Yekaterinburg if you like outdoors activities. Moscow will not be a fun life for an American on $1,500 a month. I say that because "living comfortably" to a Russian is not at all comfortable in your eyes. You would be insane to move to Russia without spending some time living there and feeling it out (that's what I did and decided it wasn't for me). Good luck!
That's why I would definitely do a university language course first for a year...that would be beneficial to me no matter what, and would allow me to experience living in the country first hand with at least a bit of a support system

Old 04-10-2019, 07:02 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,606,361 times
Why Russia specifically? Have you considered any country in Eastern Europe that has a low cost of living? You could get by just fine in Bucharest, Sofia, Belgrade, Sarajevo, or even a smaller city in Croatia for $1500 per month. I'm not entirely sure about visas to these countries, or even Russia for that matter, but it might be worth looking into. Belgrade in particular is Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site, has a lot of Soviet/ Russian influence, and would allow you to exercise your knowledge of the Cyrillic alphabet.

Last edited by Yac; 04-17-2019 at 12:37 AM..

Old 04-10-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
Why Russia specifically? Have you considered any country in Eastern Europe that has a low cost of living? You could get by just fine in Bucharest, Sofia, Belgrade, Sarajevo, or even a smaller city in Croatia for $1500 per month. I'm not entirely sure about visas to these countries, or even Russia for that matter, but it might be worth looking into. Belgrade in particular is Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site has a lot of Soviet/ Russian influence, and would allow you to exercise your knowledge of the Cyrillic alphabet.
I don't know...Russia has always peaked my interest more than the other countries...plus I have ancestors from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Don't let him swing from God's way...if someone wants to move to Russia from the west this means they worship not just Jesus but also Trump. I'd rather let Russia have this type of people rather than my country.
Self-righteous, much? Sounds like you're still hung up on the whole garbage collusion scam the MSM shoved down your gullible throat.

[Mod cut: off topic]

Last edited by elnina; 04-18-2021 at 09:23 AM..

Old 04-10-2019, 08:42 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,094,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAboutRussia View Post
I don't know...Russia has always peaked my interest more than the other countries...plus I have ancestors from there.

Self-righteous, much? Sounds like you're still hung up on the whole garbage collusion scam the MSM shoved down your gullible throat. LUL.

[Mod cut: orphaned]

You could try Mexico, you can live in a border town and commute back to the states for things you need. No visa needed. You'll need a visa for Russia. But I think you can get one for 3 years.

Last edited by elnina; 04-18-2021 at 09:24 AM..

Old 04-10-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
You could try Mexico, you can live in a border town and commute back to the states for things you need. No visa needed. You'll need a visa for Russia. But I think you can get one for 3 years.
Mexico is warm...Spanish would be especially easy to learn, considering I took French for 3 years...I would go to a language program at a university in Russia (they cost about 1500 dollars for a full year), and that would get me a student visa. I'd see how long after getting there I have to wait to apply for a Temporary Residence Permit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe