Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 12:48 AM

427 posts, read 245,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
No exactly, from what I remember about "studios" in US, they use the concept of "open space," where everything ends up in "one room," *kitchen* including.
In Russia, in one-room apartment, everything will be still separated by walls, kitchen including.
This is just an example of small 1-room apartment ( it will be easier for you to envision it.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qkyBCcNQBA

( Truth to be told, I see "studios" mentioned on Russian sites now too, so I'll have to check on that one ...)

As for the rest... - can't tell from the get-go.
I am not in your age group, plus my spying abilities are going down the hill)))
How can I forget the famous Russian smile!))))))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 12:50 AM

26,790 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAboutRussia View Post
From what I'm reading in the comments (the guy translated them in the description), Moscow is not for me.

They made it sound like Moscow is very impersonal because of the hustle and bustle, and that the smaller cities (Novosibirsk? Yekaterinburg? Novgorod?) are all way more personal and there are more connections between people...Does that make sense?

Yes.
That's why I've said that you will be surrounded by better people overall in other Russian cities than in Moscow. There is a bigger chance for that.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Yes.
That's why I've said that you will be surrounded by better people overall in other Russian cities than in Moscow. There is a bigger chance for that.
Then Moscow will remain a place I visit, sadly. I hope I can spend a good amount of time exploring the VDNKh (it's correct to say THE VDNKh, right?). I know there are a ton of other things to explore, but that's what I'm most excited about. ;P

Back to town searching...People have recommended Kazan and Penza specifically, along with other cities...Looking up a list of top places to live in Russia, I get Sochi, Nizhny, Yekaterinburg, Tyumen, Krasnodar , then St. Petersburg but those are out of the question, it seems

If I move to less populated areas, will I be more likely to get a TRP if I decide to stay?

Old 04-11-2019, 12:55 AM

1,348 posts, read 625,993 times
Quote:
Truth to be told, I see "studios" mentioned on Russian sites now too, so I'll have to check on that one ...)
Yes, the studios have long started to build in new homes
For example https://www.cian.ru/rent/flat/204950077/

Old 04-11-2019, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
It is amazing that's only 60,000p/month. As an American (don't people hate that saying ), an apartment that nice would probably cost 3000 dollars a month in the city. I get that cost of living is way lower there...it's just culture shock to me...

Old 04-11-2019, 01:03 AM

[quote=ZimogorOur town by the standards of Russia is small..
[URL]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biysk[/url]
Rent in our town around from 5000rub to 25000rub.
Flat 105 sq.m (3 rooms) - 25000rub per month.
https://www.avito.ru/biysk/kvartiry/...et._1542741232[/quote]

What?! Biysk? Altai?

They really exist?
You too?

Old 04-11-2019, 01:07 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,606,789 times
Quote:
Quote:
It is amazing that's only 60,000p/month. As an American (don't people hate that saying ), an apartment that nice would probably cost 3000 dollars a month in the city.
Maybe in New York or SFO.. keep in mind this is a shoebox studio, multiply by 11 to get a rough square meters to square feet conversion, so this thing is only about 330 s.f., which is TINY. $930 for something that small is more expensive then a lot of American cities.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:07 AM

Quote:

Bleh.
I need my kitchen.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
Maybe in New York or SFO.. keep in mind this is a shoebox studio, multiply by 11 to get a rough square meters to square feet conversion, so this thing is only about 330 s.f. $930 for something that small is more expensive then a lot of American cities.
I live in St. Louis...nowhere near as expensive. I paid 600 dollars a month in a tiny college town for an apartment smaller than that (it was 99m2)

Old 04-11-2019, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Then Moscow will remain a place I visit, sadly. I hope I can spend a good amount of time exploring the VDNKh (it's correct to say THE VDNKh, right?). I know there are a ton of other things to explore, but that's what I'm most excited about. ;P

Back to town searching...People have recommended Kazan and Penza specifically, along with other cities...Looking up a list of top places to live in Russia, I get Sochi, Nizhny, Yekaterinburg, Tyumen, Krasnodar , then St. Petersburg but those are out of the question, it seems

If I move to less populated areas, will I be more likely to get a TRP if I decide to stay?

You need to look at the number of factors, University programs including.
Sorry, I need to sign off for the day and to report to my superiors in spying department)))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe