Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 07:10 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,041,289 times

Advertisements

30 Hilarious German Insults You Should Start Using Immediately | Mental Floss

Because these are hilarious. Try these out instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 07:50 PM

61,858 posts, read 87,314,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Hilarious? Not if used by a foreigner.
And especially by someone who isn't fluent in German...

Old 07-15-2019, 07:54 PM

61,858 posts, read 87,314,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Sorry, it is new to me that this is not known in Germany. Even at the end of WWII it was an insult and an intended one. It stung then and it stings now.
There are counter insults which Americans did not and do not understand even the educated ones speaking Germany. Especially dialects leave a whole realm of interpretation
I would say that a guest visiting foreign country should never do any name calling, behave obnoxious or demanding. Or expect everyone to speak English. It's just rude!

Old 07-15-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Hilarious? Not if used by a foreigner.
And especially by someone who isn't fluent in German...
I think they'd be especially hilarious if the OP tried to use them. But then, humor is subjective.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:04 AM

27,227 posts, read 13,514,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbelt57 View Post
I don't plan on going there anytime soon, however, I really respect their work ethic, high productivity and discipline. But I just wondered if I went there and just off-handedly referred to them as 'Krauts' if they would take that as derogatory.
It's starting to die out as are a lot of other name calling and sterotypes, the Germans as well as Krauts were were also known as the Boche, the Hun and of course Fritz or Jerry, the Germans were also described as sausage gobblers or sausage muchers sometimes, as in the sausage muching Boche or those miserable sausage gobblers have beaten us again on penalties.

List of terms used for Germans - Wikipedia

There are lots of derogatory terms for nations, the Germans themselves used to call Britons, Inselaffe which means Island Apes, the French who we have a long history of petty naming claing with, sometimes use the terms Rosbif/Rosbeef/Bife which means roast beef. Some Australians still use the Pom or more specifically whinging pom, and the Americans used limey.

Glossary of names for the British - Wikipedia

Most nations have derogatory terms aimed at them, and to be honest most aren't that bothered or have equally petty names for other nations. Indeed it's all rather childish and juvenile when you think about it.

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-16-2019 at 05:44 AM..

Old 07-16-2019, 06:17 AM

24,639 posts, read 10,968,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Hilarious? A needle pointed insult can be a slightly variance in pronunciation of a single word; a common gesture. The recipient will not understand unless he/she is in the know and getting there especially when it involves local dialects and customs is close to impossible. There is more to a language than words in a dictionary

Old 07-16-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Hilarious? A needle pointed insult can be a slightly variance in pronunciation of a single word; a common gesture. The recipient will not understand unless he/she is in the know and getting there especially when it involves local dialects and customs is close to impossible. There is more to a language than words in a dictionary
I guess the fact that I directed this at the OP, who is considering calling Germans Krauts to their face, is lost on some people.

Don't worry, I won't be utilizing these terms when I go back to Germany on vacation. That being said, I have found Germans to have a great sense of humor, and to be wryly accommodating when I try to speak their language, and basically butcher it. I like Germans and I like that whenever I start trying to speak to them in German, the vast majority of them get a pained look on their face, a little smile, and then just start speaking to me in English.

Pretty sure I've inadvertently used an incorrect word or even gesture in Germany but thankfully the Germans didn't hold it against me. But then, I've also never tried to insult anyone in their language either.

I WAS called a "stupidische Amerikaner" one time by some old German lady when I didn't hold a bathroom stall door open for her and she had to pay to use the toilet. But I got over it.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:34 AM

34,251 posts, read 18,616,638 times
I haven't heard the term "Kraut" since the last 1950's or 1960's WWII movie I saw, or an old episode of McHale's Navy where they called the Japanese "Japs" or "Nips", and the Germans Krauts. You don't hear the term "Limey" in the U.S. anymore either.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I haven't heard the term "Kraut" since the last 1950's or 1960's WWII movie I saw, or an old episode of McHale's Navy where they called the Japanese "Japs" or "Nips", and the Germans Krauts. You don't hear the term "Limey" in the U.S. anymore either.
Or "***."

This is a ridiculous question!

Hey, I just realized my name for Japanese people got smudged out, but you can probably guess it. Three letters.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:00 AM

This thread reminds me of that quote:

Quote:
Tell someone you love them today because life is short. But SHOUT it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing.
I'd like to give credit to someone for that quote but I don't know who said it first.

Even "Ich liebe dich" sounds scary when you shout it!

Anyway, the OP is trying to be inflammatory so I'm just helping him out. Survival of the fittest, Darwin Awards, all that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe