Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Overrated
Paris 36 36.73%
London 18 18.37%
Rome 5 5.10%
Madrid 6 6.12%
Athens 7 7.14%
Barcelona 15 15.31%
Lisbon 3 3.06%
Milan 5 5.10%
Zurich 5 5.10%
Marseille 6 6.12%
Granada 1 1.02%
Sevilla 1 1.02%
Geneva 1 1.02%
Vienna 3 3.06%
Cologne 3 3.06%
Prague 7 7.14%
Stockholm 1 1.02%
Copenhagen 3 3.06%
Helsinki 4 4.08%
Amsterdam 10 10.20%
Berlin 10 10.20%
Venice 10 10.20%
Florence 8 8.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 05:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,041,289 times

Advertisements

Sometimes you just gotta go see Westminster Abbey. Or the Alamo.

The trick is - go during the off season if possible, and be polite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 11:36 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,205,785 times
Haven't been to all cities, but from among the list, Zurich. Just so boring and expensive, not even worth going for a tourist.

The other one not on the list is Brussels. As the "capital" of the EU, it's also devoid of any tourist attractions. The Grand Place is a nice place to take pictures, but that's about it. I find it ridiculous that the Manneken Pis is even considered a tourist "attraction".

Old 07-25-2019, 12:28 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,062,082 times
I must respectfully abstain from voting,
as I have been to NONE of these cities.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:51 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,282,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
All seem very good cities to me and not overrated in the least, so I won't be voting for any of them.

Same.

Old 07-28-2019, 12:02 PM

630 posts, read 527,341 times
When talking about overrated cities, no city comes second, third, or fourth to Paris. Not that the french capital doesn't have its fair share of interesting things. Many things that would be regarded as unremarkable elsewhere, are seen as wonderful just because they are located in Paris. A good example of that is the Eiffel Tower, which is nothing more than a sculpture made of steel originally intended to be short-lived. Though not that good looking, few monuments are more universally recognized, romanticized. The The Tokyo tower is fairly similar, even taller, still it is relatively unknown. Another example of the "Paris effect" is Notre-Dame de Paris. The cathedral is nice looking, no doubt about that. Europe is full of equally remarkable cathedrals, nonetheless. Had a cathedral burned in Slovakia, Portugal or Denmark, would it have made the headlines in all the newspapers across the globe? Would donations have poured in from all over the world like ocean waves on a Sri Lankan beach on a tsunami day?

Old 07-28-2019, 01:31 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,127,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
When talking about overrated cities, no city comes second, third, or fourth to Paris. Not that the french capital doesn't have its fair share of interesting things. Many things that would be regarded as unremarkable elsewhere, are seen as wonderful just because they are located in Paris. A good example of that is the Eiffel Tower, which is nothing more than a sculpture made of steel originally intended to be short-lived. Though not that good looking, few monuments are more universally recognized, romanticized. The The Tokyo tower is fairly similar, even taller, still it is relatively unknown. Another example of the "Paris effect" is Notre-Dame de Paris. The cathedral is nice looking, no doubt about that. Europe is full of equally remarkable cathedrals, nonetheless. Had a cathedral burned in Slovakia, Portugal or Denmark, would it have made the headlines in all the newspapers across the globe? Would donations have poured in from all over the world like ocean waves on a Sri Lankan beach on a tsunami day?

In fairness, you are missing that these places have historical context. The Eiffel Tower once once the largest man-made structure in the world.

I wanted to see Notre-Dame because, wait for a laugh, I am a huge Lon Chaney fan and have seen the movie a dozen times. I found it to be a beautiful sight, and it became my favorite thing in Paris (the fire was tow weeks later). Is it better than the Milan Duomo or the Cathedral of Santa Maria? That is subjective.

The point is, a lot of these places have pre-existing emotional connections, which is both why people love them and want to see them, and why they sometimes find them overrated, when they discover that they are really just places.

Old 07-28-2019, 10:28 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,688,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
That's subjective... Are the statue of the liberty, empire state building or big ben overrated? They are symbols, unique in their way... Is the clock tower of mecqua as known as big ben? Is the spring temple buddha known as much as the statue of liberty?
But Paris inspire pation, so hate to own that's normal. Still one of the best rated - post travel - voted by people...

Old 07-29-2019, 12:19 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,688,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
That's subjective... Are the statue of the liberty, empire state building or big ben overrated? They are symbols, unique in their way... Is the clock tower of mecqua as known as big ben? Is the spring temple buddha known as much as the statue of liberty?
But Paris inspire pation, so hate to own that's normal. Still one of the best rated - post travel - voted by people...
God these typos...
"But Paris inspires passion, so hate too, that's normal... Still one of the best rated destination -post-travel- by travelers". I agree that some monuments are overrated, I would say Notre Dame is maybe the most important. I d like to replace it with Rouen's cathedral.

Last edited by Pokitobounto; 07-29-2019 at 12:32 AM..

Old 07-31-2019, 01:26 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,181,712 times
I based it only on cities I've been to, and I picked Prague. I really liked Prague, but, out of the choices, I picked that.

Someone picked Seville? Really??

Old 08-02-2019, 02:02 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,385,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
OK Irene, we believe you........not! I seriously doubt you have been anywhere near the UK let alone London! Lol
i don't think he has been to London. Yes the weather can be a let down, but London has too much in terms of both architecture and things to do to be overrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe