Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 07:10 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,435,845 times

Advertisements

Good point about renting. That is what you always should do when moving far away.

Also the train connection. Holland as the second most dense train network on the planet after Japan. You can travel everywhere. It is not cheap, nor expensive, but when you get older it is just real relaxed traveling. There are stores everywhere. The town I grew up and visit often has 3 bakeries, 2 butchers, 2 supermarkets, 4 cafetaria's, 3 bars and 4 restaurants. And that is just an average place of 6000 people. And the next town city is always like 6 miles down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 05:19 AM

9,378 posts, read 14,332,558 times
[quote=grmi66;56526683
But I'm one of those people that thinks whatever troubles you have in the world move along with you to your new home. Relocating doesn't fix your personality.[/QUOTE]

An ancient expression ... you can change your sky, but you can't change your mind ... and many similar.

Still hold true today.

It takes a different kind of discipline to shape one's personality.

All the best to both of you.

Old 10-31-2019, 05:35 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,676,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Except for the treatment he has been getting from his "family" there, he will be OK, IF and WHEN he refrains from telling everybody how much better the USA is, compared to Europe ...

They do that over here so what's your point?

Old 10-31-2019, 05:52 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,937,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Have a curiosity question about relocating from the U.S. to one of the more rural provinces of the Netherlands. My brother has a government pension coming and has the ability to retire when he's 55 years old. Has this very romantic idea of moving to the Dutch countryside to get away from it all.

Our family is first generation Dutch, grew up attending Dutch Reformed churches, still have lots of extended family in the area and he knows enough Dutch to be dangerous when he goes on his yearly vacation to the Netherlands.

Will he be treated differently as a foreign resident than he is when he visits for a week or two?
Get away from what? If you look for a quiet, peaceful, affordable place to retire with a friendly population, the Netherlands is none of that. I'm Dutch and from one of the 'rural' provinces. I would prefer the rural US for retirement. It's unlikely you will get a visa just to retire.

Old 10-31-2019, 06:44 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,487,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Get away from what? If you look for a quiet, peaceful, affordable place to retire with a friendly population, the Netherlands is none of that. I'm Dutch and from one of the 'rural' provinces. I would prefer the rural US for retirement. It's unlikely you will get a visa just to retire.
My brother is in law enforcement, so wants a slower pace for sure. Goes to visit the Netherlands every year at least once and has done so for almost 20 years. Think at last count he's been there over 25 times, so has a pretty good lay of the land.

But good points on the visa, doubt he's thought that part out. He just assumes because our mother is Dutch staying beyond 90 days isn't a big deal.

Old 10-31-2019, 11:23 AM

24,635 posts, read 10,968,622 times
Does he have dual citizenship or will he need a visa?

Old 11-01-2019, 07:12 AM

7,378 posts, read 4,162,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post

But good points on the visa, doubt he's thought that part out. He just assumes because our mother is Dutch staying beyond 90 days isn't a big deal.
It depends on when your mother came to the USA. Before 1992, the US did not allow dual citizenship. If your mother became a US citizen before 1992, she required to given up her Dutch citizenship.

However, if she never gave up her Dutch citizenship or reclaimed her Dutch citizenship after 1992, it would be very easy for your brother to get dual citizenship too.

My father-in-law came in 1930's the US when he was nine years old. When parents became US citizens, usually they naturalized their children at the same time. So when WWII started, my father was an US citizen. He volunteered for the US army and fought against Italy.

For us to get dual citizenship, we would need to live in Italy for three years. It is not be hard for us to get this of resident visa. We live in NY so Italy would actually be cheaper for us.

Law enforcement, especially in a larger city, is extremely tense now. I don't blame him for wanting to move.

Old 11-01-2019, 11:34 AM

I still wonder what town he is going...

As for the passport... Every country does it different. France for example you never lose your citizenship. The Netherlands you lose it and... if your passport expires and you wait more than 10 years to get a new one, you can no longer get one.
Now I did write the amassady last year. I could get a visa but than I have to stay a minimum of 8 months a year in NL. You need an income to but it is fairly low, About 1600 euro a month. He should get that for sure I might hope,,....

I adopted a girl here who is 100% handicapped, and I will not leave her alone in a group home.

Old 11-03-2019, 02:22 AM

290 posts, read 179,956 times
The Netherlands is hardly countryside, He probably can find slow pace and disconnection far more in the United States than in the Overpopulated highly developed Netherlands.

I lived in the Netherlands one year and I lived in what is considered the most out there region (Limburg) and l was still facing traffic and living close to urban areas connected to cities.

If he wants to be disconnected and live a relaxed way of life, he can move to Wyoming, Utah, Montana so many areas of the US where there's no one around and the closest city is a small town hours drive.

There is also the visa situation, he cant just moved there because he had some ancestor from the Netherlands.

The whole giving the nationality to people who had some local ancestry it's actually being increasingly outlawed because many people got the nationality but they never moved to the country, they just wanted to have a European passport to travel around, While the European countries were actually looking for workers and taxpayers.

If you are older it's even harder because the assumption is that you are going to become a burden on taxpayers in a few years, Ideally you will be a younger person willing to work and pay taxes, Not some retiree who just wants to move there and eventually use the governments funds.

I am also very happy with many new laws coming up about people using affordable tax based high quality European education, and then **** off to countries like Australia, Canada, or the USA to make tons of money while paying little taxes there, and of course contributing nothing to the European system that educated them.

Old 11-03-2019, 05:34 PM

Limburg is densely populated. The north is not.
https://zoom.nl/foto/landschap/het-z...n.2982186.html

Montana is for sure quiet. But from one to the next town is just a long ways....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe