Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 09:08 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,188,830 times

Advertisements

How would you recommend dividing our time? Also bear in mind we will have two young kids along and also will need to do a little bit of work. We typically do slow travel so 14 days just isn't much time at all compared to our ideal. If you're an always-on-the-go traveler then consider this to be 7 days that you can distribute accordingly.

I love big cities so naturally Lisbon, Porto, Madrid, and Barcelona are on the forefront. The Algarve and some of the smaller/medium-sized cities in Spain are on the radar as well. Any suggestions are welcome, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2019, 09:54 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,187,056 times
I've been to Lisbon, Madrid, and Barcelona on your list.

I would actually vote for or add Seville in there. While I loved all three, I would choose Seville over all of them.

Old 12-17-2019, 10:44 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,608,852 times
What time of year are you coming? Spain-wise, if you only have a week, I would stick to either Madrid or Barcelona, and maybe another smaller city for a few days. It's pretty expensive (for the distance) and time consuming to get from Madrid to BCN, even with the high speed train, by the time you drag the family to the train station, sit on the train, and then get re-settled in the other city, the whole day will be a write-off.

Madrid has the added benefit of being in the exact center of Spain, so it would be quite easy to catch the AVE (high speed train) from Atocha or Chamartin stations to Valencia, Sevilla, or Granada for 2 or 3 days. You can also take 1/2 a day in Toledo, the medieval capital of Spain, which is 28 minutes and around 10€ each way from Atocha station on the AVE.

If you would prefer to go to Barcelona, which will be much more hectic and touristy, then it would be nice to spend 2-3 days Girona or Tarragona as well.

Another good thing about Madrid is that, tourism wise, there is not a ton of things to see and do outside of just enjoying the general ambiance, architecture, food, and drink of Spain, so this can leave you with a few days to chill out, get work done, and enjoy being in Spain instead of stressing out about fitting everything in. This is not to say there is not anything touristy to do in Madrid, but you should be fine wandering around by yourself and not packing your schedule with guided tours every minute of the day. The Spanish culture - having such long days - is very conducive to working a few hours and still enjoying long lunches and long dinners, especially if you can get out of bed before 9am. A typical day might look like:

Breakfast between 9:30 and 10:30

Explore the city for a few hours until 2:00

2:00ish - menu del dia (3 course lunch)

3:00ish - 7:00ish, be at home, kids can relax, watch some tv, take a nap. You can get some work done, especially if you are dealing with clients on the East coast, this would be the morning hours there.

evening until 9 or 9:30 - walk around enjoying the sunset, have a casual glass of wine in a plaza or a park terrace

9 or 9:30 - dinner

If I were you, I would spend 4 days in Madrid, with part of one of those days in Toledo, and then catch the AVE to Sevilla for 3 days. Depending on how the rest of your trip is structured, you could fly out of Sevilla to the next location, or take the AVE back to Madrid. Valencia is a great option as well, and it's coastal so depending on the time of year, the weather might be more comfortable, but to me, Sevilla feels like the essence of Spain. The tight cobbled streets and red clay roofs, mix of Arabic and Mediterranean architecture, and guitar players in the streets kind of play into the idea that many have in their head of Spain, but being there really feels like one big Spanish punch in the face. Not to mention, it's very inexpensive.

As far as where to stay in Madrid, if you have kids, I assume you'll want to be quite central but not in a party area. I would look for an Airbnb around the areas of Argüelles, San Bernardo, and Quevedo metros. Alternatively, I really like the area around Antón Martin, which would also give you easy access to the Retiro Park and Atocha train stations. These areas are a bit tamer than say Sol, Malasaña or Lavapies, but still quite central so you can walk around quite easily.

I've been around Portugal a few times, but surely there are others with more input. Oporto and Lisbon are completely different cities, it's hard to describe the difference, but it's probably worth spending at least 2 full days in both. From Oporto you can take an afternoon trip up to Coimbra, or Braga if you want to see Bom Jesus do Monte, which is quite spectacular. I haven't ever been down to the Algarve, so I can't recommend anything there.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:48 PM

Location: San Diego via Orange County via Toronto via Rome Italy
390 posts, read 796,958 times
With so many interesting large and medium cities and so little time, I'd consider giving the Algarve a miss. Not that's it's not pleasant or beautiful . . it certainly is . . .but coming from Florida you likely won't be hungry for beach-time, and that is 80% of the area's charm IMO. We are from California and while we enjoyed our time in the Algarve, it was nothing "new" for us and in hindsight we would have opted for a couple more days in Lisbon, Porto or the sometimes overlooked but very worthwhile "3rd" city of Portugal . . Coimbra.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:29 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,796,596 times
There is no high speed train from Madrid to Granada, there’s train. However, there high speed train from Madrid to Seville. I’m going to be in Spain for 3 weeks. I split my time between Seville and Granada. I’ve already been to Barcelona last year.

Old 12-18-2019, 03:01 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,608,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
There is no high speed train from Madrid to Granada, there’s train. However, there high speed train from Madrid to Seville. I’m going to be in Spain for 3 weeks. I split my time between Seville and Granada. I’ve already been to Barcelona last year.

They opened an AVE route to Granada this summer. You're right that it's not direct, you pass through Cordoba (another city worth stopping in) and Antequera, but you still get there in about 3 hours, as compared to 4.5 driving. I mentioned Granada since it is one of the most popular tourist cities in Spain, but Cordoba or Malaga would be nice, convenient stops as well. Both cities are extremely lovely. Here's a map of the current AVE network

Old 12-18-2019, 08:38 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,894,397 times
Pick one country.

Old 12-18-2019, 09:50 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,796,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
They opened an AVE route to Granada this summer. You're right that it's not direct, you pass through Cordoba (another city worth stopping in) and Antequera, but you still get there in about 3 hours, as compared to 4.5 driving. I mentioned Granada since it is one of the most popular tourist cities in Spain, but Cordoba or Malaga would be nice, convenient stops as well. Both cities are extremely lovely. Here's a map of the current AVE network
I savior my stops. There’s a lot of places I want to see in Spain like Cordoba, Malaga, Bilbao, etc..

Old 12-19-2019, 02:43 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,188,830 times
Thanks to everyone for their responses. Especially WWR with your on point and detailed suggestions, muchos gracias!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
What time of year are you coming?
This would be late May into early June. A few other minor details that now seem somewhat pertinent:

1) While this would be my first time to the Iberian peninsula, I certainly plan to return many more times. So it's not like we MUST hit everything now...it's just an introduction. These two countries as a region are at the very top of my list amongst places I've never been.

2) We actually will have to spend 3 or 4 days in a particular Spanish city for my wife's work. That location is TBD right now, but to some degree our schedule will be dictated for us.

3) Our relative will probably come with us and she, like me, is highly interested in visiting Portugal as a potential future relocation spot. Hence why we really want to at least get a taste of the area.

Old 12-19-2019, 03:57 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,601,063 times
London, where we live, is only 2.5 to 3 hours from Spain and/or Portugal, so we’ve been all over, even just for long weekends in Madrid, Bilbao, Barcelona, or Lisbon.
It’s all subjective, but IMO all of the Iberian peninsula is good, with the exception of Benidorm, Alicante Province, Spain, and Albufeira, Algarve, Portugal, those two places are magnets for Brit trailer trash.
The three cities in Spain that I’m most drawn to, and comfortable in, are Madrid, Valencia, and Murcia, Seville gets a special mention, but it’s murder during Santa Semana, (Holy Week), in April.
In Portugal, you’ll find Lisbon hard to beat, but Oporto is very interesting, and worth a visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe