Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 06:45 PM

18 posts, read 6,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Sberbank transfers to my US banking account just fine, and vice versa. I sue western union, bank to bank transfer.

If you are not in Russia, why you need a Russian account? If you are having money transfer from there, why does not the party sending the money use their account? WHo is giving this money?
I think I will try to open a Western Union account and see if the transfer is successful seeing as I can't go to Russia and open an account there unless I make some fast cash asap. However, they told me the account was not the problem, but the regulations. So I don't know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2020, 04:12 AM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astarnamedthesun View Post
Well I sent money to pay for some services and I was assured I could get a refund. Now I am having trouble trying to get the refund. Unfortunately what you said is true, I can't open a Russian bank account without being in Russia. I suppose that means I'd better make some money fast and hop on a plane asap. Wish me luck!
Some services? Looking for a bride, perhaps?

Better to be a big refund - travel to Russia isn't cheap or easy. I don't think you can just "hop on a plane"...

Old 02-15-2020, 08:00 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Well I sent money to pay for some services and I was assured I could get a refund. Now I am having trouble trying to get the refund. Unfortunately what you said is true, I can't open a Russian bank account without being in Russia. I suppose that means I'd better make some money fast and hop on a plane asap. Wish me luck!
"Refund", haha, good luck with that! You're being scammed. Although the bit about the intermediary bank actually makes some sense. Where are you located--are you in NYC? And how much money is this? Western Union these days is much easier than those somewhat complex bank transfers.

Old 02-15-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Some services? Looking for a bride, perhaps?
lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina;
Better to be a big refund - travel to Russia isn't cheap or easy. I don't think you can just "hop on a plane"...
That's for sure. OP, have you ever traveled to Russia? There are formalities involved; a visa, which will cost you. You need to find a travel agent with experience in facilitating that.

Are you returning your bride for a refund? What happened; she didn't hold up her part of the bargain? Refused to cook and clean? (BTW, that's what grandmothers are for. You should have ordered a grandmother, if that's what you wanted...)

Anyway, good luck with your problem.

Old 02-15-2020, 03:39 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
lol
That's for sure. OP, have you ever traveled to Russia? There are formalities involved; a visa, which will cost you. You need to find a travel agent with experience in facilitating that.

Are you returning your bride for a refund? What happened; she didn't hold up her part of the bargain? Refused to cook and clean? (BTW, that's what grandmothers are for. You should have ordered a grandmother, if that's what you wanted...)

Anyway, good luck with your problem.
Maybe he paid for her ticket but she never came...

Old 02-15-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Maybe he paid for her ticket but she never came...
Oooh, good guess! Or maybe "she" ( ) kept demanding more visa fees...

Old 02-15-2020, 06:57 PM

18 posts, read 6,826 times
To address some of the recent messages:
No, I am not in NYC and I've never been to Russia. (Also the Sberbank in NYC does not offer personal banking services as I recently found out. FML)
Yes, I know I need a visa and that getting to Russia is not a simple process.
We are talking about a few thousand dollars.
No, I do not particularly want a grandmother though a servant to cook and clean would be nice. Too bad I'm broke.

And I am not naive enough to fall for a mail order bride scam. Here are some things that did not happen: I did not look for or trust an agency that promised to connect me with beautiful Russian ladies for a price. I also did not waste thousands of dollars on flowers and chocolates and I did not spend hours on Skype/WhatsApp communicating with Russians who later blocked me. The agency did not promise to help me with getting an invitation so I could apply for a visa and fly to Russia to meet the love of my life. They also did not offer accommodation packages. I mean it is a good idea to meet someone before deciding whether to bring them to America to spend the rest of your lives together, but like I said the agency (which does not exist by the way,) did not offer such a thing. Because they did not offer such a thing I did not get an invitation or a visa and did not get to Russia and have yet to meet the love of my life. The contract (which I did not sign because there is no such thing) was in Russian and assured me I could get a refund should things (the trip, the romance, the bride) did not work out. None of that happened to me. I am not heart broken because of some Russian and I am not waiting for a refund from a mail order bride agency that did not come through.

It would be wild if that had happened though, wouldn't it?

However, I do hope I get my money back for the services I paid for but did not ultimately use. And maybe a Russian did break my heart, but that's not the point. The point is, I need to get my money back and they (not a mail order bride agency) keep telling me the transfer is not successful because of reasons. I am going to email them tonight and ask them to please try Western Union.

Now that I think about it, Ukraine has Sberbank branches. And I do not need a visa to go there. Would it be a terrible idea to "hop on a plane" to Ukraine and open a Sberbank account there? Because of the political issues, I don't know if it would be futile to try, but I mean what else can I do?

Anyway thank you all for your replies and for reading.

Old 02-16-2020, 07:53 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
You've been scammed. Forget about it, don't send money overseas to people you've never met before (and by "meet" I mean in person, and you've hung out!), and block these strange people from contacting you.

Move forward. I predict you will never see any of this money again.

Old 02-16-2020, 11:07 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,189,972 times
Wire transfers to the US can be a pain in the butt, especially if the beneficiary use a small local bank. The American banking system is antiquated and ridiculously expensive compared to what we got in Europe.

Old 02-16-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
T

However, I do hope I get my money back for the services I paid for but did not ultimately use. And maybe a Russian did break my heart, but that's not the point. The point is, I need to get my money back and they (not a mail order bride agency) keep telling me the transfer is not successful because of reasons. I am going to email them tonight and ask them to please try Western Union.

Now that I think about it, Ukraine has Sberbank branches. And I do not need a visa to go there. Would it be a terrible idea to "hop on a plane" to Ukraine and open a Sberbank account there? Because of the political issues, I don't know if it would be futile to try, but I mean what else can I do?

Anyway thank you all for your replies and for reading.
Because of political issues it's futile to try? No, OP, most likely, it's because of scam issues, that it's futile to try. You could throw more good money after bad, and go to Ukraine, but the chances of resolving your claim are slim. And some might say, that's putting it optimistically. (Well, unless you can afford to hire a hit man to threaten to rough up the other parties, but they probably have their own mafia...).

But Urkaine is a beautiful country. If you're determined to do your best to get your money back, you might consider some sight-seeing in the more scenic parts, while waiting for your refund to come through. But...you said you were broke.

Sorry we gave you a hard time; it was kind of irresistible. No hard feelings? Friends?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe