Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2021, 11:19 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,450,604 times

Advertisements

You're going to encounter racism where people actually have experience and a culture of racism against a certain group. As an American black person no one in Europe has any real connotations or stereotypes of you. The opposite is true of Romani people, who are discriminated against in Europe, but can be around the USA and no one cares, because Americans don't really know anything about Gypsies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2021, 07:58 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,030,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
You're going to encounter racism where people actually have experience and a culture of racism against a certain group. As an American black person no one in Europe has any real connotations or stereotypes of you. The opposite is true of Romani people, who are discriminated against in Europe, but can be around the USA and no one cares, because Americans don't really know anything about Gypsies

It's still a mystery how people in the west can tell apart Indians (who are very beloved westwards) vs Gypsies. I mean it's like me saying Greeks look different than Italians for purely political reasons since racism in my country vs Greece is common...bul**** all over lol.

Old 11-30-2021, 08:00 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,047,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Are you suggesting there are no American people in Europe?

Old 11-30-2021, 09:38 AM

24,634 posts, read 10,968,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
It's still a mystery how people in the west can tell apart Indians (who are very beloved westwards) vs Gypsies. I mean it's like me saying Greeks look different than Italians for purely political reasons since racism in my country vs Greece is common...bul**** all over lol.
Can you translate this Indians statement please.

Old 11-30-2021, 04:11 PM

1,010 posts, read 2,464,538 times
I won't reach out and speak for Latinos and Africans, but as far as Asians and Middle Easterners, I would generalize and say there is more discrimination against East Asians in the USA and more discrimination against Middle Easterners and Indians in Europe. Let's compare the enemies of the USA, ... WWII - Japan, Korean War, Vietnamese War, Economic Threat 80s - Japan, No Comment on all the BS about Chinese people during the last few years, ... Europe - How Many Hundreds of Years Fighting against Muslims, Middle Easterners, etc., plus gypsies who were originally from Indian ancestry, ... I have worked in Europe before, and of course, they don't have the same American sense of "whiteness", just like many Asians from Asia don't have a sense of "pan-Asianness (sp?)".

Old 11-30-2021, 05:39 PM

24,634 posts, read 10,968,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
I won't reach out and speak for Latinos and Africans, but as far as Asians and Middle Easterners, I would generalize and say there is more discrimination against East Asians in the USA and more discrimination against Middle Easterners and Indians in Europe. Let's compare the enemies of the USA, ... WWII - Japan, Korean War, Vietnamese War, Economic Threat 80s - Japan, No Comment on all the BS about Chinese people during the last few years, ... Europe - How Many Hundreds of Years Fighting against Muslims, Middle Easterners, etc., plus gypsies who were originally from Indian ancestry, ... I have worked in Europe before, and of course, they don't have the same American sense of "whiteness", just like many Asians from Asia don't have a sense of "pan-Asianness (sp?)".
Thank God - a large part of the world population can trace it lineage to Gengis Khan. Can someone on CD please loose the term gypsies.

Old 11-30-2021, 06:41 PM

14,690 posts, read 14,674,826 times
It depends where in Europe.
https://www.theguardian.com/football...d-players-fifa

Old 12-01-2021, 09:28 PM

16,715 posts, read 29,564,319 times
For Americans of Color, Is Norway a Racism-Free Utopia?
https://www.theroot.com/for-american...pia-1790862174

Old 12-02-2021, 08:03 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,285,078 times
Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
For Americans of Color, Is Norway a Racism-Free Utopia?
https://www.theroot.com/for-american...pia-1790862174
I agree with everything said in that article, sans the racism. Without going in to detail, it exists. It is not the 'in your face' racism as it is in the US, but it is there, trust me. Apparently the author of the article never saw it, experienced it, or heard of it.

Old 12-02-2021, 12:46 PM

1,719 posts, read 734,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I agree with everything said in that article, sans the racism. Without going in to detail, it exists. It is not the 'in your face' racism as it is in the US, but it is there, trust me. Apparently the author of the article never saw it, experienced it, or heard of it.
No place on earth has ever been or will ever be racist, or sexist, or ageist, or take your pick-ist free. There are just varying degrees, ranging from the obvious and horrible to the less obvious and mild. The worst sexism and racism I've personally experienced has been in Africa and the Middle East -- along with the greatest hospitality, warmth, and friendliness in those same places. Quite a paradox.

Last edited by Bentonite; 12-02-2021 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe