Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2021, 07:02 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Since you're the one who brought up these "laws," can you elaborate or be more specific (i.e provide sources)?
Google is your friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2021, 07:06 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Speaking of Google, this was easy to find:

In the UK, interracial relationships are 7 percent of all relationships.
https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-44780698

In the US, interracial marriages are 15 percent of all marriages:
https://www.pewresearch.org/social-t...intermarriage/

Old 10-25-2021, 07:29 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindag View Post
Yes but please get a black PM, as we have had a 2 term black President, and now we have a black female Vice President. We are also the same country that elected Trump, so we can go the other way as well. That is the true greatness of America.
We don't elect people based on the colour of their skin! A fine example here of what I'm talking about! Everything in the US has to have something to do with peoples race.

Old 10-25-2021, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
There's a huge difference between ethnicity and race. You keep trying to lump them together and then argue about it. That's what's twisting people up inside. You don't seem to be able to tell the difference when other people can easily.

Even in this post, you're still trying to lump the two concepts together.
No I don't - I simply said that in the US 'Hispanic' is treated as a separate IDENTITY (see I've tried using a different word) than other 'white' (or black etc) people!! Like on the lists you (and some other US posters) provided! For example Jennifer Lopez is simply 'white' in Europe. Therefore the comparisons are apples to oranges! Why oh why are you guys getting so 'twisted up inside' over this!?

Old 10-25-2021, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Speaking of Google, this was easy to find:

In the UK, interracial relationships are 7 percent of all relationships.
https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-44780698

In the US, interracial marriages are 15 percent of all marriages:
https://www.pewresearch.org/social-t...intermarriage/
What has this got to do with anything? Again I'm guessing US would count somebody you call 'Hispanic' and somebody you'd call 'white' as an 'interracial relationship? Of course that's not the case here or anywhere else.

Old 10-25-2021, 07:55 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,565,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Race/Ethnicity whatever, the fact is (they) have been listed separately from other 'white' (or black or whatever) people on the lists you (and others) gave earlier in this thread whereas in Europe they wouldn't. THAT is all I'm saying, I haven't accused anybody of 'forcing' anybody, I haven't accused anything, I'm simply pointing out that the lists you (and others) produced had 'Hispanic' separately listed from other 'white' (or black or whatever) people, in Europe 'Hispanic' isn't a race/ethnicity (whatever), race permutates in the US more so than in Europe, why its twisting people up inside I really don't know.
Why can't you just accept that different categories exist and let it go?
You've restated your position ad nauseum, you're not adding anything to the debate. You're entitled to your opinion, just don't expect others to adopt it.

Old 10-25-2021, 07:57 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,565,832 times
Quote:
What has this got to do with anything? Again I'm guessing US would count somebody you call 'Hispanic' and somebody you'd call 'white' as an 'interracial relationship? Of course that's not the case here or anywhere else.
No, the couple gets to make that call.

Old 10-25-2021, 07:58 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
No, it wouldn't. Hispanic and white is not interracial, THAT'S THE POINT we have all been trying to make! You're just making things up because you've never been to the US and have no idea what it's really like; you even admit you're just guessing. It would take two seconds to look this up:

Quote:
These statistics do not take into account the mixing of ancestries within the same "race"; e.g. a marriage involving Indian and Japanese ancestries would not be classified as interracial due to the Census regarding both as the same category. Likewise, since Hispanic is not a race but an ethnicity, Hispanic marriages with non-Hispanics are not registered as interracial if both partners are of the same race (i.e. a Black Hispanic marrying a non-Hispanic Black partner).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interr..._United_States

So how about stopping now because you're clearly close-minded about this topic, and all the people who actually live here and are trying to give you information are just wasting their time.

Old 10-25-2021, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Why can't you just accept that different categories exist and let it go?
You've restated your position ad nauseum, you're not adding anything to the debate. You're entitled to your opinion, just don't expect others to adopt it.
WHERE exactly did I say 'others' have to adopt to anything!? I simply stated that the lists given had 'Hispanic' as a separate IDENTITY which is not the case elsewhere, here these people will simply be classed as 'white' (or black or whatever), I then gave Jennifer Lopez and that film as an example as to the differences. The premise of the film doesn't make sense 'over here' because of it. BUT nowhere have I suggested that I 'expect others to adopt it'!! THE point I'm making is that the 'lists' aren't comparable because of 'said' differences THAT'S ALL! However for some reason 'some' people are getting all riled up over it!?

Old 10-25-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
No, it wouldn't. Hispanic and white is not interracial, THAT'S THE POINT we have all been trying to make! You're just making things up because you've never been to the US and have no idea what it's really like; you even admit you're just guessing. It would take two seconds to look this up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interr..._United_States

So how about stopping now because you're clearly close-minded about this topic, and all the people who actually live here and are trying to give you information are just wasting their time.
Well it certainly WASN'T ME that posted those lists and mentioned 'Hispanics' as a seperate identity/group/ethnicity/race/entity (whatever) earlier in the thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe