Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Universal Basic Income (example: unconditionally €500 per month, tax free, even if one does not work
For 17 44.74%
Unsure 1 2.63%
Against 20 52.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 09:45 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times

Advertisements

For,

in the U.S.A we throw 700 billion to the military like its no big deal, but have very high income inequality.

Rent and housing prices are also outrageous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 01:38 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,334,526 times
In Germany and many other countries you already get welfare when you have no job and no income, which is OK. I don't see why everybody should get this money even when not in need and how such income could be much more than welfare already is.

Those who work pay that income with higher taxes and for those who live on welfare nothing changes. Countries like the US should consider if they pay their jobless people welfare like many Europeans do but I guess this will not happen in a country where healthcare is considered communism.

Old 05-17-2020, 01:11 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
In Germany and many other countries you already get welfare when you have no job and no income, which is OK. I don't see why everybody should get this money even when not in need and how such income could be much more than welfare already is.

Those who work pay that income with higher taxes and for those who live on welfare nothing changes. Countries like the US should consider if they pay their jobless people welfare like many Europeans do but I guess this will not happen in a country where healthcare is considered communism.

There we go.
With this kind of scenario, let's change the question a bit; why would "universal Basic Income" still be needed?

Old 05-17-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
There we go.
With this kind of scenario, let's change the question a bit; why would "universal Basic Income" still be needed?

Most people who promote it seem to want simply more welfare without being stigmatized.

Old 05-17-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
Most people who promote it seem to want simply more welfare without being stigmatized.

For Europe ( Germany in this case) this downright sounds like it.

America with its racial problems, huge income inequality and all, is probably a different story all together.

Old 05-17-2020, 01:27 PM

7,114 posts, read 4,536,107 times
I don’t think it’s a wise use of resources. I am in favor of assistance going to the needy.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
For,

in the U.S.A we throw 700 billion to the military like its no big deal, but have very high income inequality.

Rent and housing prices are also outrageous.

Just came across this and thought that it was relevant to the discussion.
These enhanced unemployment benefits - ( $ 600 a week) made all the difference in lack of interest in people to go back to their low-paying jobs.

"But some of the employees he sent home are making a lot more money from unemployment, safe at home, than they would make working for him.
“It’s a huge negative for them because they make way more money just sitting at home,” he said.
Prior to the coronavirus pandemic, people on unemployment in Minnesota were getting about half of the wages from the job they lost, capped at $740 a week. Now, in addition to the state money, they’re all getting $600 a week from the federal government through July. So, why go back to work?"

And when people feel that their necessities are covered, it's far more difficult to exploit them in low wage jobs.

That's what "basic income" would achieve I suppose in the US ( provided that basic income covers the necessities.)

P.S. Hi Invincible - long time no see))

Old 05-18-2020, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
For Europe ( Germany in this case) this downright sounds like it.

America with its racial problems, huge income inequality and all, is probably a different story all together.
Yes, were you have no welfare at all and the basic income would be as low to prevent people from starving but not encourage people to give up their jobs it might work and be an inprovement for the entire society, but you can't pay everybody 1500€ the month, even those who don't need it and a basic income as high as welfare already is, is kinda pointless.

Old 05-18-2020, 02:18 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,291,749 times
This would be great here. This would avoid a lot of parallel economy or a lot of underpaid jobs like food delivery bikers who get paid like 3 euros for a delivery, or people picking up tomatoes in the south for 2 euros an hour.

I just think it is hard to have politicians to just accept it.

Old 05-18-2020, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
This would be great here. This would avoid a lot of parallel economy or a lot of underpaid jobs like food delivery bikers who get paid like 3 euros for a delivery, or people picking up tomatoes in the south for 2 euros an hour.

I just think it is hard to have politicians to just accept it.
It's not as easy as that. I thought you have welfare in Italy?

If a basic income replaces welfare, as also some suggest and the basic income is too much to die but too less to live people might have to work for even less as some employers might use the basic income as an excuse to lower wages. There are concepts of basic incomes that are worse than the status quo for the poorest, it's difficult to discuss this topic when we come from countries with wholly different conditions.

My general opinion is, that a basic income above the level of welfare will not work well and is pointless at or below the level of welfare, given you have welfare in your country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe