Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2022, 07:03 PM

12,554 posts, read 9,644,236 times

Advertisements

It was a long time ago (nearly 30 years ago) that I visited southern Norway for a research conference and then to visit my grad-school buddy, Svein in Bergen for awhile. What I found back then anyway, is that if I got familiar simple "hand-food" from the states, like cheeseburgers, french fries, fried chicken, pizza, etc - it wasn't very good, way better back home. But when I got more typical European food, that was good. Svein, who had lived 2 years studying in the USA and loved our "junk food", agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2022, 07:44 PM

102,240 posts, read 108,130,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
It was a long time ago (nearly 30 years ago) that I visited southern Norway for a research conference and then to visit my grad-school buddy, Svein in Bergen for awhile. What I found back then anyway, is that if I got familiar simple "hand-food" from the states, like cheeseburgers, french fries, fried chicken, pizza, etc - it wasn't very good, way better back home. But when I got more typical European food, that was good. Svein, who had lived 2 years studying in the USA and loved our "junk food", agreed.
Well, ya know, US "hand food" really isn't much different from Scandi "smorgas". The main difference is, that the sandwiches are open-faced in northern Europe. And their butter tastes better. (The Euro butter is now available in US grocery stores.)

Old 07-17-2022, 04:02 AM

4,966 posts, read 3,329,707 times
When I used to travel to NO DK SE we did the scandinavian food buffet which was served at hotels sometimes at the hotel we stayed at or at another hotel. Back then one of the dishes was the complete cooked salmon, more salmon dishes, sea food etc. Just skip the fermented herring. Drinks/liquor/beer is expensive.
In Norway it is called Koldtbord or Kaldtbord. Most people know the Swedish Smorgasbord see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smorgasbord

https://www.visitnorway.com/things-t...ood-and-drink/

https://www.visitnorway.com/things-t...k/restaurants/

https://visitnorway.com/things-to-do...drink/cuisine/

https://norwaytoday.info/travel/is-b...hat-expensive/

https://www.under.no/

Old 07-23-2022, 03:12 PM

484 posts, read 355,760 times
Flåm is a tiny town whose economy is entirely based on tourism. They have a decent brewpub but expecting a town of 500 to have a broad choice of restaurants seems like a strange expectation. They have nature galore though. I did the bike ride from the train station at Finse (a place only accessible by railroad) to Flåm along the Rallarvegen and that is a blast. About halfway you can ditch your bike and take a zipline for a half a mile if you're bold.

Old 07-23-2022, 04:00 PM

6,824 posts, read 4,278,209 times
I was wondering why anyone would have questions about something so specific about such a small rural town, and surprised others seemed to know it and have been there. Then I realized, of course, it's cruise ships. One of the few approved ways Americans feel comfortable with seeing the rest of the world.

Old 07-23-2022, 04:45 PM

1,719 posts, read 734,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I was wondering why anyone would have questions about something so specific about such a small rural town, and surprised others seemed to know it and have been there. Then I realized, of course, it's cruise ships. One of the few approved ways Americans feel comfortable with seeing the rest of the world.
I think you underestimate many Americans.

Old 07-23-2022, 05:15 PM

6,469 posts, read 8,202,631 times
Quote:
Flåm is a popular tourist destination, in large thanks to the scenic 20 km/12.4 mi Flåm Railway between Myrdal and Flåm. Myrdal is a train station on the Bergen Railway (between Oslo and Bergen), so many tourists take the detour to Flåm.

Old 07-23-2022, 06:48 PM

3,478 posts, read 2,814,908 times
Is there a town nearby named “Flim”? “Flim-Flam”, get it?

Old 07-23-2022, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Is there a town nearby named “Flim”? “Flim-Flam”, get it?
It's pronounced close to "Floam", actually.

Old 07-23-2022, 08:20 PM

Quote:
No, it isn't, so much. There are railway tours of Norway, among other ways to see the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe