Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2022, 07:00 AM

2,229 posts, read 776,523 times

Advertisements

The nearby town of Kouvola is even more boring than Lappeenranta. Here's a parody song about the small town:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXlpQY9Asto
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2022, 12:57 PM

908 posts, read 443,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Hungarian has much longer words/complicated advanced grammar than the Latinized simple basic Romania, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal. How much of Austria German/Austro-Hungarian empire directly affected Hungary? Hungary appears Czechoslovakian Polish rather than only modern Germanic, or old Soviet Slavic. Or Slavic without the Soviet. And also Yugoslavian Croatian Serbian.

How old were you 2005-2008? I was only in high school. lol And actually knew another language before Romanian immersion mid to upper 20's 2018/2019. That is when I finally learned the native tongue of ethnic family heritage connections.

Roughly 1/3, 40%, 1/2 of Romania minimal/almost 2/3rd's used to be part of Hungary. Always find that very surprising.

Hungarian isn't similar to any Slavic language to be honest , though of course it has its fair share of Slavic loanwords , and naturally plenty of Hungarians who live in neighboring Slavic countries also happen to speak the language of the larger Slavic majority .

With respect to your question about the Austro-Hungarian monarchy , Hungary happened to be the so called ” Transleithanian ” part of that real union , very roughly comparable to a constituent country of the present day United Kingdom .

I was of 25-28 years of age at that time , having been recently hired by a company while in the UK to go work in Budapest , which is when my ongoing attachment to/residence in the ex Habsburg lands began .

What is now the Transylvanian part of Romania used to be part of Hungary from circa 895 to 1920 , though of course there were periods of at least de facto political separation long before 1920 , such as during the time when the Eastern Hungarian Kingdom/the Principality of Transylvania existed .

To conclude with an interesting tidbit , the region that most people now call Transylvania is actually not at all equivalent to Transylvania proper as it existed historically , what with it being lumped in with other regions such as (f.ex) Crisana , which used to have distinct identities of their own .

Old 11-19-2022, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Totally a Czech Republic if I had to group Hungary with just one other country. Even compared to Austria.

Some of Romania was part of Turkey Middle East Byzantine empire. The influence is still strong to subtle in Dobrogea/Constanta. Some Middle East Smoke lounges. Middle East Falafel Restaurants/Supermarkets. Even a Mosque in Downtown. Even Turkic Muslim sizable minority. Or almost even majority in some villages further inland! Quite rare for Europe minus some of Bulgaria, Yugoslavia micro.

That would be cool if Constanta was like 500,000-700,000+ people.. Instead of 200,000-300,000.

Yes the Czech Republic is fairly similar to Hungary in quite a few aspects , though Slovakia is much closer to being a ” brother country ” all around .

I must say that it's rather interesting to read of there still being ethnically Turkish majority villages in Romania , with the only Turkish thing related to Romania that springs to mind being the now submerged island of Ada Kaleh :

https://www.*****bugraekinci.com/art...e-danube-river

As an aside said island is claimed by some to be the inspiration for the uninhabited island featured in ( well known Hungarian author ) Mór Jókai's famous 1872 novel ” The Man with the Golden Touch " also known as " A Man of Gold " .

I've never been fond of Constanta for some reason , Rijeka being my favorite ” Eastern European ” coastal city , but I'll admit that the beaches there can be pretty nice to spend time in .

Old 11-19-2022, 07:55 PM

Hakunila is a neighbourhood in the city of Vantaa about 20 kilometers from central Helsinki. Hakunila was built in the 70's and is home to 12 000 residents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSlQ7n1vs1I

Old 11-19-2022, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Tuzla, a Romania seaside village, is Turkish word for salt. So, that is an apparent Turkish connection. Two of 30+ Family members appear Turkish the most. Before even actually Romanian. lol I am probably the 3rd one.
At least occasionally.

Did you visit Constanta/Mamaia, Eforie, Vama Veche? Honestly, I have mixed opinions. But, there are redeeming factors. Just enough to like about it: The Romanian Black Sea. Highly seasonal mostly for the summer(Which is actually a bit overly mild cool to even preach this standard!). Was there in Mid Winter, and continued to have fun. Didn't feel that bad. Worth a foreign visit. Especially May-October. See the weather forecast before visiting! There were record cool July's, August's before. Remember an almost frozen sea current Mid Late July 2019 mid summer!?. Same with early August 2016.. Thank god the Black Sea WARMED UP/recovered both of those years. Well into August up to Mid September. Ride the Telegondala at the nightlife district of Mamaia June-September. In fact, enjoy the entire city year round. There is some to enough things that don't ever close.

Of course the Bulgarian Black Sea is mostly even nicer/more to offer: Balchik, Varna, Slanchev Bryag, Burgas. Have to go to both Romania, Bulgaria EE resorts.

Damn, that is tragic what happened with Odessa, Crimean Yalta/Sevastopol, Sochi. Even cheaper prices offered. And that is before this year. Cost went up in Golden Sands Of Varna when seeing that on Google Satellite map business listings. Why is RO on the Black Sea a bit expensive compared to the almost very modest salaries? Have no idea about Yugoslavian coastal cities.

Yes I do believe Romania also has/had a small Tatar minority as well , though I'm at a loss with respect to being able to mention anything noteworthy that is related to them .

I have been to Constanta and Vama Veche , but not the other two settlements , and while they are fun to spend time in , they also happen to be a bit too touristy for my taste .

For whatever reason I've always found tourists harder to spot in Rijeka , which also has much better architecture than Constanta and Vama Veche IMO , which is partly why I like that city a whole lot better .

That said Romania is still an amazing country to visit , although I happen to prefer Transylvania to the Black Sea Coast and other parts of it .

Old 11-20-2022, 01:35 AM

NY London Diamante Metal Bracelet Watch Gold/Blue:

https://www.shoptetuan.fi/collection...atch-gold-blue

Old 11-20-2022, 02:37 AM

The first snow of the winter has fallen down. It's also international childrens day today, I see Finnish flags from my window on all yards.

Last edited by Metamorphosis69; 11-20-2022 at 03:02 AM..

Old 11-20-2022, 08:48 AM

It's no use watching the World Cup. Seven players in team Equador has been bribed with 7.1 million euros each. Qatar is going to win 1-0. Mark my words.

Also the tickets to these games cost 20,000 euros each.

Old 11-20-2022, 09:01 AM

61,834 posts, read 87,292,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamorphosis69 View Post
The first snow of the winter has fallen down. It's also international childrens day today, I see Finnish flags from my window on all yards.
Same here. Temperatures just below frost -2°C.
Some of the Fall foliage is still there and looks great with snow:

Old 11-20-2022, 09:11 AM

61,834 posts, read 87,292,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamorphosis69 View Post
NY London Diamante Metal Bracelet Watch Gold/Blue:

https://www.shoptetuan.fi/collection...atch-gold-blue
Ugh, no. Flashy kitsch.
Walmart special...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Charles-r...erId=101030695
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe