Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 11:42 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times

Advertisements

People don't understand Russia for what it is: it is a hostile, expansionist, exploitive terrorist state within a state that hijacked a Slavic civilization it uses as a human shield. It's worn many hats over history from being Tsarist, "communist", to a "democracy" but the mode of operation change 0 through all these "revolutions" - raping their own subjects while grabbing every piece of land and valuable that they have force to take. Sociopathic to the core. Anything it espoused for ideology is bull**** to manipulate people's mind and game the international system. Greed is the only real internal state Russian ideology.

Anyone who interacts with this death cartel cannot have anything but hate for it. There may be some Slavic commonalities, but those are overridden by treatment received from the powers on high. Many Russians are deluded by their own government's propaganda, moreso than other nations in a similar boat like Iran or Pakistan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2023, 11:54 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Russia:

** a hostile, expansionist, exploitive terrorist state within a state that hijacked a Slavic civilization it uses as a human shield.... from being Tsarist, "communist", to a "democracy"

** Sociopathic to the core.

** Greed is the only real internal state Russian ideology.

** death cartel
Wow.

Don't hold back, Phil. Tell us how you really feel!

Old 05-24-2023, 12:09 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post

Edit:

It's to avoid WWI again! There are 120 ethnic groups speaking some 100 languages live within Russia's borders. How could 120 nations be self-supporting? What about mixed ethnic group states like the Ukraine? More genocide and force migration like Poles in Ukraine? How much ethnic cleansing?
Thanks for including me, Y-Gal. I enjoyed your post; it provided food for thought, and offered a unique perspective on these Russ/Uke threads.

I wasn't advocating for more separatism, btw. I was pointing out how Moscow controls narratives and access to information from behind the scenes, in an attempt to assuage their paranoid fears. Thanks for giving me a chance to explain that.

I don't view their fears as valid. Precisely for the reason you state: it's completely impractical for the remaining republics to secede, and activists in those regions know it and acknowledge that, with the one exception of Yakutia, which is the sole source of Russia's diamonds, and a major source of its gold. Back in 1990-91, the Yakuts felt they could make a go of independence. Since then, Moscow has taken steps to quash those hopes.

But by the same token, one could ask, how practical is it for Abkhazia and South Ossetia to secede from Georgia, and made a bid for independence, with Moscow's help? What resources do they have, on which to base a functional economy independent of Moscow? Is further Balkanization of the fringes of the former USSR in anyone's interest?

Moscow seems to have a double-standard in this regard.

Old 05-24-2023, 03:17 PM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post

My family lived outside of Krakow in Ukraine. The Ukrainians worked with the Nazi in rounding up the Jews and committed genocide against Poles. They wiped my grandfather's town off the map. My family was forced to migrant to west to Wroclaw after WWII. They had two hours to get ready and were allowed two suitcases each. They aren't fond of the Ukrainians either!
Krakow is in Poland, not Ukraine.

Old 05-24-2023, 03:36 PM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Krakow is in Poland, not Ukraine.
Yes, my Polish relatives lived outside of Krakow, Poland. At one point, their town was in Poland. Due border changes over a hundred years, it is now in Ukraine.

Old 05-24-2023, 04:04 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,920,492 times
I come from a Russian speaking Ukrainian immigrant family so I only have a limited insight on the topic. But I’ve only heard good things about polish people, although I’ve never met one before. Also anecdotally it seems Russians respect their historical rivals who gave them a hard time on the battle field the most such as Poles, Finns, Germans, Swedes, French etc. while they look down upon or make fun of those that they have conquered such as Ukrainians, Chechens, Central Asians etc.

Old 05-24-2023, 04:21 PM

676 posts, read 407,837 times
Quote:
People don't understand Russia for what it is: it is a hostile, expansionist, exploitive terrorist state within a state that hijacked a Slavic civilization it uses as a human shield. It's worn many hats over history from being Tsarist, "communist", to a "democracy" but the mode of operation change 0 through all these "revolutions" - raping their own subjects while grabbing every piece of land and valuable that they have force to take. Sociopathic to the core. Anything it espoused for ideology is bull**** to manipulate people's mind and game the international system. Greed is the only real internal state Russian ideology.

Anyone who interacts with this death cartel cannot have anything but hate for it. There may be some Slavic commonalities, but those are overridden by treatment received from the powers on high. Many Russians are deluded by their own government's propaganda, moreso than other nations in a similar boat like Iran or Pakistan.
If you’re referring to the Russian government, I agree. The people are not the problem though, I’ve been to Russia myself (Moscow) and the people were polite, welcoming and extremely amiable. Even when you look up videos online of people who go to Russia (baldandbankrupt is probably the best example) when they greet and talk to the local townsfolk in a Russian village, they almost always will bring them back into their homes, show them around and also introduce their relatives. Something people in the west would never do.

Corrupt politics and government have, as you said, long plagued the Russian nation, but it’s people are truly the strongest and most stoic to have ever walked this earth when you know their history and everything they’ve been exposed and subjected to.

In other words, if the world suddenly entered a post-apocalyptic crisis, the Russian people would be who I’d go to to team up with as far as survivalism is concerned.

Old 05-24-2023, 05:20 PM

5,804 posts, read 2,930,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
If you’re referring to the Russian government, I agree. The people are not the problem though, I’ve been to Russia myself (Moscow) and the people were polite, welcoming and extremely amiable. Even when you look up videos online of people who go to Russia (baldandbankrupt is probably the best example) when they greet and talk to the local townsfolk in a Russian village, they almost always will bring them back into their homes, show them around and also introduce their relatives. Something people in the west would never do.

Corrupt politics and government have, as you said, long plagued the Russian nation, but it’s people are truly the strongest and most stoic to have ever walked this earth when you know their history and everything they’ve been exposed and subjected to.

In other words, if the world suddenly entered a post-apocalyptic crisis, the Russian people would be who I’d go to to team up with as far as survivalism is concerned.
People are usually never the problem. Thats the sad part.

Old 05-24-2023, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thanks for including me, Y-Gal. I enjoyed your post; it provided food for thought, and offered a unique perspective on these Russ/Uke threads.

I wasn't advocating for more separatism, btw. I was pointing out how Moscow controls narratives and access to information from behind the scenes, in an attempt to assuage their paranoid fears. Thanks for giving me a chance to explain that.

I don't view their fears as valid. Precisely for the reason you state: it's completely impractical for the remaining republics to secede, and activists in those regions know it and acknowledge that, with the one exception of Yakutia, which is the sole source of Russia's diamonds, and a major source of its gold. Back in 1990-91, the Yakuts felt they could make a go of independence. Since then, Moscow has taken steps to quash those hopes.

But by the same token, one could ask, how practical is it for Abkhazia and South Ossetia to secede from Georgia, and made a bid for independence, with Moscow's help? What resources do they have, on which to base a functional economy independent of Moscow? Is further Balkanization of the fringes of the former USSR in anyone's interest?

Moscow seems to have a double-standard in this regard.
Great post.

I totally agree with your question: "what's the point of further Balkanization of the fringes of the former USSR in anyone's interest?" Unfortunately, some advisors in Washington think it's good idea and the only way forward.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...b62_story.html

https://www.politico.eu/article/opin...isintegration/

https://cepa.org/article/russias-col...-for-everyone/

There was something to be said for the old Austro-Hungarian Empire. It was a foil against Russian expansionist hopes. With it gone, it created a power vacuum which has not gone for well for the region.

Old 05-24-2023, 07:22 PM

Quote:

Well, isn't how much of history has been? The Greek and Rome Empires, Islamic Empires in Spain and Middle East, Genghis Khan's Mongol Empire, France's House of Bonaparte, Germany's Bismarck and Hitler, the Colonies across the Americans and Africa? They all waged war for every piece of land and valuables of colonies and neighbors. The Russians are no worse or better than other nations.

The US doesn't come out smelling like a rose with our Iraq War based on our lies of weapons of mass destruction. Funny how the 9/11 terrorists were really from Saudi Arabia. All the lies we were told about our great progress in Afghanistan as it fell in days. There is more than enough propaganda in the US to choke a horse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe