Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2024, 05:44 PM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times

Advertisements

Remember Boris Nemtsov?

Or Boris Berezovsky?

Or Anna Politkovskaya?

Or Sergei Magnitsky?

Or Alexander Litvinenko?

Or any of dozens of others, killed because they irritated Vladimir Putin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2024, 10:09 AM

"Aleksei Navalny’s Allies Confirm His Death as Russia Detains Mourners" - Putin is having mourners of Aleksei Navalny arrested. This level of injustice and oppression, you have to go to someplace like Iran to find it elsewhere.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/17/w...alny-dead.html

Old 02-18-2024, 04:27 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Yes, first poisoned by Putin, then survives but imprisoned under false charges by Putin, and now he dies under mysterious circumstances in prison.

It is impossible to explain the support of Vladimir Putin by many members of America's Republican party. Putin is a murderous autocrat leading a corrupt regime with an iron fist, and he is very clearly an adversary of the United States as well. And yet Donald Trump and Tucker Carlson and their cronies will tell you all day long that Putin is actually a great guy who's just misunderstood.
I don't understand it myself. There was a time in our country when anyone who was an American, and a fan of our Democratic Republic; would have easily seen Putin for the two-bit tyrant that he is, and praised Alexey Navalny as a heroic and patriotic man who loved his country, but saw it's leader as a homicidal sociopath.

What has happened to this country? Some people support Putin on the far right and left for different reasons, but equally misinformed reasons.

On another note, I wish that Navalny had not returned to Russia. The world needs people like him. I know that he was idealistic, but with some common sense, we would still have had him in our world.

This is what Putin does. He destroys.

Old 02-18-2024, 05:08 PM

6,036 posts, read 5,944,794 times
Probably more a case of wishful thinking, in the suggestion that The Russian Federation will break up. If anything more likely to gain in statue and less declined to display 'weakness' as in the early nineties.

As for silencing dissent, true but hardly alone in that. The West doesn't perhaps use such extreme methods , but the misuse of law to suppress questioning or revealing information, can have rather nasty impacts on the individual as well.

The treatment of Assange comes to mind, but also whistle blowers lower down the chain who are treated abominably in too many cases by those with power and position with things to hide.

Old 02-21-2024, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I don't understand it myself. There was a time in our country when anyone who was an American, and a fan of our Democratic Republic; would have easily seen Putin for the two-bit tyrant that he is, and praised Alexey Navalny as a heroic and patriotic man who loved his country, but saw it's leader as a homicidal sociopath.

What has happened to this country? Some people support Putin on the far right and left for different reasons, but equally misinformed reasons.

On another note, I wish that Navalny had not returned to Russia. The world needs people like him. I know that he was idealistic, but with some common sense, we would still have had him in our world.

This is what Putin does. He destroys.
Navalny *was* an idealist, but this is also why he inspired the Russian people, to believe that a better future was possible, that they could get out from under Vladimir Putin's boot. Ultimately, he failed, but he should nonetheless be celebrated - he was an idealist, courageous, and selfless.

The Washington Post writes: "For many young Russians, dreams of democracy died with Alexei Navalny"
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...lexei-navalny/

Old 02-25-2024, 09:03 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,186,172 times
Quote:
And this is by no means, the full extent of the murders that Putin has ordered...
Do you mind telling us where this info came from - about 40 people allegedly murdered by Putin?
I got curious and looked through the photos: there are 2 sets of the same names, but the photos look different?
When I did the search on one of those “twins” - the guy was in France, had a pleasant evening with friends and later tumbled down the stairs, hit his head.

They call an ambulance, tried to revive him, but couldn’t - he was also known as a big partying type, had ongoing problems with the circulation and was treated for this, he was in his 50th
There is absolute nothing about him and Putin - as he lived abroad..

The young girl - Darya something - was definitely murdered - her car exploded
However, I learned that she and her father were staunch supporters of Putin and supported the incursion into Ukraine.

The speculation was that the car bomb was designed for her father - as at the last minute he didn’t join her and she wasn’t suppose to drive that car.(did not look for her father’s dealings - but was assured he was strongly pro-Putin, they both even tried to influence France to ease the sanctions)

For all we know it could be Ukraine’s operatives that killed her?

I just looked for 2 unknown to me random people and got 2 for 2 - that their deaths even with my cursory look has nothing to do with Putin murdering them..he isn’t omnipotent, bad things happen to a lot of people

Would be nice to have a factual information and not promulgate propaganda.

Litvinenko - the polonium guy - knew no secrets, was something like a security detail, very low ranking.
He was hired as a bodyguard, on payroll and eventually was heavily involved with the brilliant but very dirty and murderous business guy, who sponsored the anti-Putin campaign.
The UK and Russia was just about to sign the extradition treaty on tax evasion, which would allow Russia to extradite that businessman where he was charged with tax evasion

After this incredibly convenient poisoning of his associate, the extradition agreement was scratched.
How convenient for him

Last edited by L00k4ward; 02-25-2024 at 09:47 AM..

Old 02-25-2024, 09:07 AM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Navalny *was* an idealist, but this is also why he inspired the Russian people, to believe that a better future was possible, that they could get out from under Vladimir Putin's boot. Ultimately, he failed, but he should nonetheless be celebrated - he was an idealist, courageous, and selfless.

The Washington Post writes: "For many young Russians, dreams of democracy died with Alexei Navalny"
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...lexei-navalny/
There will be others, as there have been in the past. Navalny certainly wasn't the first, nor will he be the last. I just hope that the next inspirational leader will be less nationalistic and more equitable toward Russia's other nationalities.

Old 02-25-2024, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Do you mind telling us where this info came from - about 40 people allegedly murdered by Putin?
I got curious and looked through the photos: there are 2 sets of the same names, but the photos look different?
When I did the search on one of those “twins” - the guy was in France, had a pleasant evening with friends and later tumbled down the stairs, hit his head.

They call an ambulance, tried to revive him, but couldn’t - he was also known as a big partying type, had ongoing problems with the circulation and was treated for this, he was in his 50th
There is absolute nothing about him and Putin - as he lived abroad..

The young girl - Darya something - was definitely murdered - her car exploded
However, I learned that she and her father were staunch supporters of Putin and supported the incursion into Ukraine.

The speculation was that the car bomb was designed for her father - as at the last minute he didn’t join her and she wasn’t suppose to drive that car.(did not look for her father’s dealings - but was assured he was strongly pro-Putin, they both even tried to influence France to ease the sanctions)

For all we know it could be Ukraine’s operatives that killed her?

I just looked for 2 unknown to me random people and got 2 for 2 - that their deaths even with my cursory look has nothing to do with Putin murdering them..he isn’t omnipotent, bad things happen to a lot of people

Would be nice to have a factual information and not promulgate propaganda.

Litvinenko - the polonium guy - knew no secrets, was something like a security detail, very low ranking.
He was hired as a bodyguard, on payroll and eventually was heavily involved with the brilliant but very dirty and murderous business guy, who sponsored the anti-Putin campaign.
The UK and Russia was just about to sign the extradition treaty on tax evasion, which would allow Russia to extradite that businessman where he was charged with tax evasion

After this incredibly convenient poisoning of his associate, the extradition agreement was scratched.
How convenient for him
Yes, like all these oligarchs and military officials who have irritated Putin and then fly from tall buildings or are murdered under unsolved circumstances, why would anyone think that Vladimir Putin had anything to do with all these deaths??? This happens in every country, right? That dozens of wealthy and powerful people who get on the wrong side of the leader die? That people who try to run in national elections against the incumbent are either imprisoned or they die? Perfectly normal! It must just be western propaganda to single out Russia!

Old 02-25-2024, 07:19 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,186,172 times
Quote:
Yes, like all these oligarchs and military officials who have irritated Putin and then fly from tall buildings or are murdered under unsolved circumstances, why would anyone think that Vladimir Putin had anything to do with all these deaths??? This happens in every country, right? That dozens of wealthy and powerful people who get on the wrong side of the leader die? That people who try to run in national elections against the incumbent are either imprisoned or they die? Perfectly normal! It must just be western propaganda to single out Russia!
You are deflecting.

I pointed out 2 completely random people featured in your post and it doesn’t make sense what your source is claiming.

Why would Putin order the murder of his supporter?

Sorry, I don’t have time to check upon the rest of the bunch; probably not worth it.

I know, I know: the floods in CA or elsewhere is ordered by Putin.

Do you follow the list of alleged “Clinton’s murders” too?

Why can’t we have better sources - even though we are in P&OC?
No wonder this thread doesn’t get respect

Old 02-25-2024, 09:46 PM

19,017 posts, read 14,191,607 times
With Russia's failing birthrate, each successive generation will have fewer workers & taxpayers to support the recipient population, let alone support the elite... or dominate the other ethnic groups.

DEMOGRAPHIC REFERENCE
https://www.populationpyramid.net/
Predictions for 2100 AD
Russia 112,068,747 (peak: 148,829,113 - - 1995 AD) -25%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe