Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2008, 01:44 PM

13 posts, read 65,460 times

Advertisements

I have been all over Europe!...I did enjoy the people, but never found a city that really captured what I was looking for! Classy/Flashy and able to compete with the high energy and high maintenance people of Los Angeles or Miami. I have been to Florence and Pisa and was very dissapointed with the 'scene' there. I have never been to France. What would be the best suggestion for someone chosing between Paris, Milano or possibly Rome?? (considering what I am looking for)

thanks for any blunt info. you can give~!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 02:02 PM

32 posts, read 583,859 times
Paris is great but the city is very dirty and the drivers are nuts, Some areas are straightfoward and dangoures. What you are looking for is probably at Champs Elysée which is basically where all the rich and famous shop, eat drink and gossip. At a nightclub at a place like that they'll pretty much throw you to the curb if your shoes aren't worth atlease over a grand in euros. Have only been to Paris on a few weekend trips but most places in paris seemed odd.. They def don't have high energy and high maintenance people, but more sophisticated weird french people who apparently go to bed at 2am.. We noticed that alot of clubs and bars closed very earlier, hugh moodkill.

I'm pretty sure you need to go to Milano, atleast that seems like a more energetic place it's also warmer and the italians are nicer.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:57 PM

8 posts, read 35,839 times
I am getting ready to move to Italy from Georgia...I am moving to Rome. I went to Milano and it was great...but it just lacked the "essence" that Rome has. I have not been to Paris but my fiance (she is Italian...lives there still...hence my I am moving there) has been there and she said that it is not a as at all like people make it out to be. Then you have to take into consideration that the French do not like us (Americans) at all. While it Italy I met nobody that disliked Americans at all (most people were very excited to meet someone from America!). The other thing is language. This is going to be the main thing. I have found that many many many people in Rome speak english very well so there would not be a problem (also Milano), but when you get out of the city not many people can understand you nor answer you. Also if you are in Northern Italy there are alot of places that speak more German than Italian (one language I do not know at all), so that is something to keep in mind too (more for visiting rather than living). If you have anymore questions feel free so send me a message or pm me for my email. If I can't answer the questions my fiance can for sure.

Chris

Old 08-07-2008, 01:46 AM

286 posts, read 1,401,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsk123 View Post
Paris is great but the city is very dirty and the drivers are nuts, Some areas are straightfoward and dangoures.
In paris ? no, but in the suburbs it's true. Paris for its size is far to be dirty. LA by comparison is dirty.

Quote:
What you are looking for is probably at Champs Elysée which is basically where all the rich and famous shop, eat drink and gossip.
Not at all, Champs elysée is a street made for the tourists. some other quarter in paris have got rich and famous shop. Opéra, Rivoli, etc.... By far better than the champs elysées.

Quote:
At a nightclub at a place like that they'll pretty much throw you to the curb if your shoes aren't worth atlease over a grand in euros. Have only been to Paris on a few weekend trips but most places in paris seemed odd.. They def don't have high energy and high maintenance people, but more sophisticated weird french people who apparently go to bed at 2am..
lol, and I think you right !

Quote:
We noticed that alot of clubs and bars closed very earlier, hugh moodkill.
Strange since the places where I go don't close early... I guess you missed the best place when you have been there.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you need to go to Milano, atleast that seems like a more energetic place it's also warmer and the italians are nicer.

more energetic place than Paris ? No way. as for warmer and nicer, I have no doubt about that. The parisians are rude. Don't forget the city is huge compared to Milan.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:40 AM

575 posts, read 3,135,301 times
Florence and Pisa are smaller cities and do not have much of a "scene" but if you want to be in cities immersed in history and monuments, those are them. Milan will have more of a nightlife as well as Rome. I have been to Paris a few times and there are some night clubs are bars that are good (if you go up towards the red light district- it isn't as bad as it was years ago). There is also a place in Italy where there are many nightclubs and bars that are very hip (and very expensive) in an area called Forte Dei Marmi. Though this area is about 2 hours from Milano- many people from Milano have been there and heard of it. I'm from the North West Ligurian Region of Italy, and my family still lives there, so I like to make visits.

One thing though is that Europe is not "flashy", definatly no where on the ranks of LA or Miami. It is old, full of history, and there are lots of bars and nightclubs in the metropolitan cities if you know where to go. Europeans know how to have a good time, they just don't drink as much as Americans, and no where near the British.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:49 AM

13 posts, read 65,460 times
Haha ---- I think you are right about Americans drinking more....atleast in a sloppy way

I lived in Barcelona and loved the food and thought the people were very down to earth and nice....but I was sooooo bored! (after living in LA and Miami!)

I am a very social person and although I enjoy architecture and history, I would rather only visit those locations. I suppose for my last trip abroad I am looking for more flash and high energy, decent nighlife and something exciting!

My French is not remarkable so I thought that may be a problem in Paris and my hot temper could ruin my trip if I were disrespected only for being American ...hehe

So.....it is sounding like Milano is a better choice!....Are there any other cities that I have not thought of maybe? In southern or eastern europe.

Thank you all for info! Helped alot!

Old 08-09-2008, 02:40 PM

102 posts, read 377,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica8888 View Post
Haha ---- I think you are right about Americans drinking more....atleast in a sloppy way

I lived in Barcelona and loved the food and thought the people were very down to earth and nice....but I was sooooo bored! (after living in LA and Miami!)

I am a very social person and although I enjoy architecture and history, I would rather only visit those locations. I suppose for my last trip abroad I am looking for more flash and high energy, decent nighlife and something exciting!

My French is not remarkable so I thought that may be a problem in Paris and my hot temper could ruin my trip if I were disrespected only for being American ...hehe

So.....it is sounding like Milano is a better choice!....Are there any other cities that I have not thought of maybe? In southern or eastern europe.

Thank you all for info! Helped alot!
Moscow, Budapest--fantastic nightlife, high energy and lots of flash (especially in moscow). Moscow just blows me away, but it's a LOT easier if you know someone there/are traveling with someone. Budapest is a lot easier to get around in, because a lot of the young people speak english, whereas in Moscow, I found myself speaking more german! (I only speak 10-20 words of russian). Budapest is also still a lot cheaper than Milan or Paris.

I've also heard fantastic things about Riga and Krakow, although, like in budapest, all the stag-dos can be trying...

I really like Milan, but, from what I've seen of it, it seemed more buttoned down than what you're talking about. Lots of super hip lounges and restaurants, people dressed to the absolute 9s, but unless you're dressed like that too, you might have trouble fitting in. That might be exactly what you're looking for though... I've never seen so many guys on Saturday night dressed in black suits to go out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe