Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 12:00 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times

Advertisements

First NL, then Belgium, now Spain.

BBC News - Felipe takes over the new king of Spain

Poor Prince Charles must be getting VERY impatient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 02:50 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
Default So Spain has a new King

What do you Spaniards think of your new king?

Felipe VI sworn in as the new King of Spain - The Local

Old 06-19-2014, 03:38 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,999 times
I like him: he looks a good guy, ready to be a king, good representation abroad (better than most politicians) multilingual, discrete, close to the citizens, sportsman and... yeah... he is tall and handsome

Old 06-19-2014, 04:05 PM

4,709 posts, read 5,064,550 times
Monarchy is an anachronism that should have gone 100 years ago for good in all countries.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:12 AM

667 posts, read 940,505 times
I wonder if present-day European monarchs have any real influence in politics?
Sure I know that they reign, but not rule, that is, by law they have lots of power but never use it.
But do they somehow influense politics "behind the scenes"?
After all, a monarch is also a human being. What if he doesn't like some aspect of politics, can he REALLY (not theoretically) do something about that?

Old 06-20-2014, 04:27 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,079,200 times
He's good for representation purposes, but should have married a stunning women..like Sanum.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:37 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Sure I know that they reign, but not rule, that is, by law they have lots of power but never use it.
But do they somehow influense politics "behind the scenes"?
After all, a monarch is also a human being. What if he doesn't like some aspect of politics, can he REALLY (not theoretically) do something about that?
It depends on the country, in the UK the Queen is more influential, in Spain Juan Carlos apart from being representative he also made good deals, some months ago he was in the Emirates or Arabia, can't remember, attaining projects so Spanish companies could make the fast train to the Mecca for example.
In the 23F Historical day he also avoided a disaster, and he could integrate the country in the world after the dictatorship.
As long as the time goes by and politics are calm he acted less and less. Royal family never vote in general elections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
He's good for representation purposes, but should have married a stunning women..like Sanum.
Haha most of guys say that... I don't know to be honest, I didn't like Letizia at the beginning, now she is OK for me but probably not the perfect. Who knows how she will act as a queen.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:11 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,064,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
The Queen of England has too much power. She owns all land, She can dismiss a government and she does not have to accept a government once elected. Time for her and her undemocratic setup to go.

She is Queen (head of state) to: United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, Barbados, The Bahamas, Grenada, Papua New Guinea, The Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Belize, Antigua and Barbuda and Saint Kitts and Nevis.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:25 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
The most democratic country in the world is a monarchy.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:42 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,575,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
It depends on the country, in the UK the Queen is more influential, in Spain Juan Carlos apart from being representative he also made good deals, some months ago he was in the Emirates or Arabia, can't remember, attaining projects so Spanish companies could make the fast train to the Mecca for example.
It would be better to visit another countries instead of these satrap macho countries...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe