Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 05:33 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,662,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
It's sort of ridiculous, really.

Most of it has to do with culture. I have one sibling, much younger than me, who was very clearly an "accident"

In general, most affluent white Americans just don't want children. I certainly don't. I like living and being a real person; the last thing I want to do is to throw away my life, my education, my research and my income on a baby. And pregnancy? Hell no.

It would mean just that, too: throwing away all my hard work. I would lose everything, and to be honest I really don't like children. I can't stand them. Close friends of mine are the same.
What most people tend to forget is they will need children one day. What happens when you're 80 years old and you can't take care of yourself? Are you going to depend on a nursing home worker making 9 bucks an hour with an attitude to take care of you? I'm a gay man so I know I will never have kids, but I have a niece and two nephews that are a part of my life and I am thankful because I know I will need them to look after me someday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 05:56 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,668,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
What most people tend to forget is they will need children one day. What happens when you're 80 years old and you can't take care of yourself? Are you going to depend on a nursing home worker making 9 bucks an hour with an attitude to take care of you? I'm a gay man so I know I will never have kids, but I have a niece and two nephews that are a part of my life and I am thankful because I know I will need them to look after me someday.
By I have a good fifty, sixty years till I'm facing that issue I have every faith that medical science will have solved most of the problems associated with aging.

Last but not least, you're choosing to not sleep with women and produce children. I'm choosing not to have them. So let's not start pointing fingers here, mister.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I have every faith that medical science will have solved most of the problems associated with aging.
I don't.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:26 PM

342 posts, read 1,927,668 times
Quote:
I have every faith that medical science will have solved most of the problems associated with aging.
If that happens then we have REAL problems. Imagine how quickly humans would destroy the earth if the average life expectancy was 120.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:50 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,038,373 times
I strongly suspect that Europe's low birth rate is attributed to the fact that it is an enormous liability, especially in countries with such high costs of living. Keep in mind that Europeans (for the most part) do not have as high of spending power as Australians or Americans, and therefore can't always afford to have children.

Either way, until the birth rate drops below the death rate, it isn't that big of a deal.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:52 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,148,271 times
Quote:
In general, most affluent white Americans just don't want children. I certainly don't. I like living and being a real person; the last thing I want to do is to throw away my life, my education, my research and my income on a baby. And pregnancy? Hell no.
Wow, that's a snipe to parents.... I'm not a kid person either, but I'm not so narrow-minded as to think that being a parent is throwing your life away..... Raising a human being to be a positively contributing member of society is an admirable job in my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Either way, until the birth rate drops below the death rate, it isn't that big of a deal.
I think that is what being below the replacement rate means...more people dying than being born.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:00 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,426,296 times
Well, it is what it is in Europe, but I definitely think that future census numbers in America will show a baby boomlet, even amongst whites. I think most affluent whites just took time to establish themselves before having kids, and are now rushing to beat the biological clock. Everywhere I turn around these days, friends and family are having kids!!

Old 11-30-2008, 10:51 AM

597 posts, read 1,299,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAP443 View Post
Why is Europe have such a low birth rate??
Maybe make love is not the Europe's "favourite sport".

Old 11-30-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
Maybe make love is not the Europe's "favourite sport".
It looks like Brazil is fairly low on the list too, almost the same as the UK.

List of countries and territories by fertility rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-30-2008, 04:10 PM

597 posts, read 1,299,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
It looks like Brazil is fairly low on the list too, almost the same as the UK.

List of countries and territories by fertility rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Because we have a responsible position, even so we are not an "oldish" country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe