Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 07:28 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,152,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
I Take the recent shooting in AL for example, wouldn't have happened here. Thankfully!
Where was it.... Dumfries, I think but could be wrong. Man with gun. Primary school. Dead people. Ring any bells?

As for the nonsense that somehow or another the US has a monopoly on serial killers... I suggest you go back over your history notes. Jack the Ripper wasn't exactly operating on this side of the Atlantic was he? Sese Seko - dead children in freezer didn't take place on this continent, let alone in this country.

These tragedies - such as the shootings in Germany - unfold all over the world. Whether or not your preferred purveyor of sound-bite news features decides to beam it into your living room or not - THAT decides whether you hear about it or not.

Edited to add: Not Dumfries. Dunblaine (excuse the spelling if it's incorrect)

Last edited by FiveHorses; 03-12-2009 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: Correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 05:33 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,405,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
Hi Amazonas,
Are you brazilian??
About your words I say (maybe)yes. But is many people killing many people in differents places and time for several reasons. not just a man killing 5, 15, 20 or 32 people in same place like US.
If you agree or not I say: Serial killers is a "product" made in USA, exported to the world, unfortunately.
other countries have serial killers- they're normally called the country's facist leaders like Getulio Vargas and others alike

Old 03-13-2009, 11:54 AM

451 posts, read 1,325,786 times
Quote:
I've noticed gunmen can go out of control in sprees rather than a person with a knife. Take the recent shooting in AL for example, wouldn't have happened here. Thankfully!
What about the Dunblane (Scotland) massacre in 1996? I remember this in the news back in 1996. 16 children and 1 adult were killed in a shooting spree.

SEE: Dunblane massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This type of violence can happen almost everywhere, unfortunately.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:15 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,120,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Yes once, there is a difference. We are not like the U.S when it comes to massacres.

That was a one off and has never happened since. How many shootings has the U.S had??

Old 03-13-2009, 12:48 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,389,212 times
The U.S. has the population of 80 Scotlands. Of course there have been more massacres in the U.S, ipso facto.

The U.S. has had far less than 80 massacres in the last 10-15 years, therefore, Scotland leads the U.S. in massacres per capita.

:-)

ABQConvict

Old 03-13-2009, 01:03 PM

597 posts, read 1,299,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
other countries have serial killers- they're normally called the country's facist leaders like Getulio Vargas and others alike
My friend,
You make me laugh when you mention Getulio Vargas.
But, our presidents never bomb any countries, any time, kiling men, women, children, etc...

Old 03-13-2009, 02:11 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,405,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
My friend,
You make me laugh when you mention Getulio Vargas.
But, our presidents never bomb any countries, any time, kiling men, women, children, etc...
of course you guys would need planes to do that

Old 03-13-2009, 02:14 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,548,133 times
Quote:
Yes once, there is a difference. We are not like the U.S when it comes to massacres.

That was a one off and has never happened since. How many shootings has the U.S had??
So, we have more crazy people. It is the people or the guns? And the point is that you said it would NEVER happen in Scotland. You need to be careful making such statements -- they have a way of coming back and biting you. Just ask the folks in Jonesboro, Arkansas. They never imagined such a tragedy could happen in their community.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:46 PM

13,656 posts, read 20,799,078 times
Quote:

Seems you spoke too soon and are trying to backpedal.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:50 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,120,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
So, we have more crazy people. It is the people or the guns? And the point is that you said it would NEVER happen in Scotland. You need to be careful making such statements -- they have a way of coming back and biting you. Just ask the folks in Jonesboro, Arkansas. They never imagined such a tragedy could happen in their community.
Its the people of course. There aren't many gun owners in Scotland. Many just aren't interested in ownership. I am however a proud gun owner/hunter. I have only heard of one massacre here, other than that its a rarity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe