Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2007, 05:43 PM

13 posts, read 67,902 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I've been to france a few times myself and am really thinking of moving there from medium to long term. But having just graduated from university, am kind of still trying to plan out what to do next. Mostly because I do not have much work experience nor being proficient in the french language, plus as a non-EU nationale I guess it's probably going to be a bit of challenge surviving in france - Paris Im talking about. I've also heard of the notorious french employment law that puts young people at a disadvantage and different type of attitudes towards foreigners.

I would like to know more about the situation from real people out there preferrably those who've experienced life in france as a foreigner, in terms of job prospects and the general attitudes of the french people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 06:20 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,151,799 times
frankly I know several well educated young French people who want to leave France due to lack of decent job opportunities there.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:34 AM

47 posts, read 272,293 times
I agree with Southside Shrek

Old 03-25-2007, 09:53 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
And even if you did want to go, as a non-EU resident, you need to have the correct visa, the carte sejour, which you obtain before leaving the US. My kid did not have any trouble with this, but he had definite employment (teaching English) before he went over there. He did it two different years and really enjoyed it, made friends from all over the place. He also worked at a camp for young French kids in the summertime. While he is fluent in French, this is not a necessity for that particular job because it is a camp where the children are supposed to speak English.
I would not want to ever make a permanent move like that, but I do think it is a very worthwhile *temporary* experience.

Old 04-28-2007, 04:30 AM

24 posts, read 163,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipop View Post
Hi!
I would like to know more about the situation from real people out there preferrably those who've experienced life in france as a foreigner, in terms of job prospects and the general attitudes of the french people.
The job market is struggling here in France. But Paris does offer the most opportunity. I live in the south of France and it is much harder here to find a job. Most employment opportunities will be in Paris. It's ok if you don't speak french because there are plenty of international companies who desire employees who use english in the work place. However, knowing some french is desired by all employers. Teaching english here is an excellent way to find a job.

Best thing to do is secure a job before you decide to move over here. That way you can secure the proper visa with no trouble. Others have come over on a typical 3 month tourist visa and then found employemnt while here.

I would search on Monster.fr and http://www.cadremploi.fr

good luck

jeff

Old 12-11-2007, 01:06 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,147,531 times
Quote:
Hi!

I've been to france a few times myself and am really thinking of moving there from medium to long term. But having just graduated from university, am kind of still trying to plan out what to do next. Mostly because I do not have much work experience nor being proficient in the french language, plus as a non-EU nationale I guess it's probably going to be a bit of challenge surviving in france - Paris Im talking about. I've also heard of the notorious french employment law that puts young people at a disadvantage and different type of attitudes towards foreigners.

I've spent a lot of time in France, and my advice is DON'T move there. It's a lovely country and the French can be warm and welcoming to tourists, but it's a whole different ball game when you move there.

The fact that you are young and that you don't speak French are two massive strikes against you; in fact, they're deal-breakers. Don't even consider it unless you're fluent in French; otherwise you may find it difficult to find work...or you could open a business that caters to English-speaking expatriots in France, most of whom will be British and more eager to patronize British businesses.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:26 PM

24,519 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Hi!

I've also heard of the notorious french employment law that puts young people at a disadvantage and different type of attitudes towards foreigners.
What are you talking about?

You do not speak the language, have no or very limited job experience. What kind of a job do you have in mind to qualify for a work permit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe