Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 11:40 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,823,308 times

Advertisements

I know this is extremely subjective and people are people everywhere, but are there any opinions of which countries might tend to be the most open and hospitable out of: Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Portugal, Spain, and Czech Republic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 06:17 AM

221 posts, read 535,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
I know this is extremely subjective and people are people everywhere, but are there any opinions of which countries might tend to be the most open and hospitable out of: Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Portugal, Spain, and Czech Republic?
Depends who you are.

My father has lived in Norway the last 15 years, but he´s originally from Russia, and he doesn´t look any norwegian at all.. Yet he says he´s never been exposed to racism over here, ever.. Atleast not on open street.

It´s probably the same in Sweden. heck, they are even more multicultural, so they´d probably be even more tolerant. The Netherlands is also extremenly multicultural.

but to be honest, i kind of have a feeling that i didn´t quite understand your question.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:34 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,522,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I've worked in Austria and did take two classes at the time... met lots of wonderful people and some have become good friends...

I guess it really all depends... could have been once you get introduced by a couple of people the rest comes naturally?

One subject that I had to be very careful in what I said was US politics... Mind you, I would never bring up the subject, but once someone knows a person is from the "States"... politics is inevitable...

I'm not adverse to speaking my mind... but, I can't explain the how and why for everything America does...

I think you will enjoy time in any of the countries you mentioned as long as you have your finances in order... remember to appreciate people for who they are and most of all... remember you are a guest in their country

PS: Language Immersion might be very difficult in practice... especially in a University City... EVERYONE you meet will want to practice their English with you!!! It got to the point where I was saying everything in German and my friends where saying everything in English... correcting each other as we went along...

good post!

mingling with older folks would inevitably point you to innsbruck!

Old 06-14-2009, 03:15 PM

291 posts, read 831,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
I’ve been to all except Norway, Dutchies are the most hospitable IMO. Not that others are not, but I liked it in NL, cool, down to earth, non complicated, polite folks.

Than again, I was just visiting, not that I lived there longer period of time. As already mentioned NL is highly multicultural, and English is spoken everywhere, not sure that’s what you’re looking for. If I was you, it would be a choice between Prague and Lisbon. Both exceptionally beautiful and cheaper than other options, things for instance in Scandinavia can get ridiculously expensive.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:08 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,859,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City of Rain View Post
dutch and scandinavian people are said to be almost on par with english people.
True because in those countries, English is a mandatory subject.
We were once on vacation in Sweden, and we saw a whole bunch of young kids coming out of a movie theater. All of them were speaking English, and we wondered if they were *not Swedish*, so we asked.
The answer:
"We study English and so we always speak as much English as we can everywhere".
In The Netherlands, you learn 4 languages (Dutch, English, German and French) if you continue at a higher education level than just primary school.
If you thus study further than just at the primary level, you studied foreign languages for at least 7 years.
Uhmmmm .... if you do not speak at least one foreign language after so many years, maybe you should repeat the last 4 years, no ?
It also is NOT an elective. It is mandatory.

After you finish your formal higher education, the fluency is in the order as stated above.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:12 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,693,366 times
Oviedo hands down. Moderate climate, excellent food, unbeatable night life, affordable cost of living. If you like partying or just going to bars and pubs you'll love it.

No question why Spain is the first country of choice for Europeans studying abroad for a year (erasmus) and the second one for Americans (after the UK obviously)

Last edited by Hasdrubal; 09-03-2009 at 10:25 AM..

Old 09-03-2009, 02:43 PM

3 posts, read 4,210 times
This one i would choose:
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Brussels, Belgium
Vienna, Austria
Oslo, Norway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe