Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 07:30 AM

221 posts, read 535,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jja100 View Post
If your from the US, go to Europe. Australia and the UK are like our siblings in terms of similarity and the Scandinavian countries are like our cousins.
im offended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 02:25 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,989,830 times
i always wanted to do study abroad in college, but unfortunately, most units wouldnt have transferred within my program (my personal number 1 factor). anyway, i would base where you are going to stay on a few different factors:
1. location of the school. is it in a suburban, rural, or large city? which one do you prefer?
2. you will have travel opportunities. if you are in europe, the trains are great and you can go to so many places on the weekends. also budget airlines are great! i loved ryan air and easyjet and my flights were cheaper than the trains, and i was able to spend more time in a place because i wasnt spending much time on a train. australia has great places to go to as well. it probably will cost you more though for transportation (could be wrong).
3. if you were like me, your school back at home might only accept certain units from whatever college in your program so you might want to consider which one gives you the most amount of credits. this may be a factor for you, or you may just be doing it solely for an experience.
4. student life. is it really important for you to be involved at school and spend most of your time there, or are you there to take classes, leave, and then explore places outside of the school?
5. do you know the language of whatever country you want to go to, or do you want to learn their language? as much as i love traveling to different countries, i have always struggled in my spanish courses in school. i also went to israel and spent some time there and locals took me to the mall to try to teach me hebrew. i pretty much left from those informal classes (they were friends i met) "mialit" which means elevator lol.

anyway, i am no expert on this by any means. i am doing my ms in counseling to be a school and college counselor so this is something i have thought about for future students.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:28 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,862,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City of Rain View Post
im offended.
LOL
I interpret them as compliments.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:26 AM

4 posts, read 38,965 times
does anyone have any experience studying in copenhagen?

Old 08-02-2009, 03:13 PM

261 posts, read 668,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartster76 View Post
So i'm sure there have been a bunch of posts about this, but I am about to spend my Spring 2011 term abroad and simply can't decide between somewhere in Australia and Europe. Can anyone help lead me in any kind of direction? I'm easily persuaded haha.
I came to this deicision myself too. I talked to a exchange student from england, who was born and raised to 15 in australia. He said australia was paradise compared to england. There are lots of good things about Australia, beach no snow, good weather. But there is also the bad like the creepy crawlys that come with god weather and I'm sure mosquitos. Its not like you cant find nice beaches in europe. I'd say Australia would have been my 2nd or 3rd choice. Australia is slightyl more expensive than Canada so more expensive than USA by 20-35% roughly. You can't go wrong with Australia really. However there are many places in europe that suck. The American ghettos are nothing comparaed to the french banlieus=ghettos. Besides England, or Scandanavia I would not go to europe because it is too much of a step down in lifestyle

I'm a minority, so naturally I considered racism in my choice and chose to go to Europe. I don't plan to get mobbed by no one. I know Romanian people who chose not to go to Italy b/c of racism, so don't tell me its all in my head.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:08 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,862,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartster76 View Post
does anyone have any experience studying in copenhagen?
Hopefully someone who have studied there will respond to your question soon.

I visited Copenhagen x3 times on work & leisure. My impression of this city is excellent. From my observation, Danish people are reserved, intelligent, polite, and very tolerant of minority races.
Beers are cheaper than in Finland and Sweden.

Their Queen has (or used to have) a full time job just like ordinary citizen :LOL:
The Prince Consort (Queen's husband) speaks Mandarin :LOL:
Their eldest son once married to a Chinese girl from HK
And their second son is married to an Aussie girl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe