Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 09:50 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times

Advertisements

Anyone else do this? Lot of folks concentrate on weight/fat loss or calories burned when working out but I personally think its more fun and motivating to aim for personal records each time out.

For example, this morning, instead of just doing my normal 3.25 mile run, I decided to run my a$$ off the first mile, walk and do one legged plyo exercised for the second mile, then runn my a$$ off again the last mile. I set a personal best record the first mile, then, bettered that record again when I ran the last mile. I feel so mentally and emotionally charged right now that I want to go do it again (later of course).

Im starting to go by the motto of "Do more work, and do it faster" then just the same ol same ol. I also find it tedious and boring to sit and count calories burned, consumed, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 09:59 AM

548 posts, read 1,479,648 times
Absolutely! It is the best feeling to accomplish something you couldn't accomplish before. I was afraid to do a box jump for the first month of doing CrossFit, then one day I decided I could do it. Yesterday I did 75 of them! I'm still new, so I pr everytime I do something. It's very motivating and have never before done something every single day that makes me proud of myself. My self confidence has gotten a big boost, for sure. Of course, one pay off to all this hard work is a better looking body. Nothing wrong with that!

I will never be one to count calories. Nothing wrong with it if you like it, but that is just not me.

Oh, and here is my workout for later today:
Beach Assault, Rows, Rope Climb (legless)s, Burpees, Wall Balls, One Arm Farmers Carries - 2010-06-15

"Beach Assault" “Row to shore” – 1000m row “Ascend the cliff” – 5 rope climbs (20 ft.) or legless “Attack the objective” – 100 Burpees and - 100 Wallballs (20/14) (partition as needed) “Extract the wounded” – 200m Farmers carry (48kg each hand) “Descend the cliff” – 5 rope climbs (20 ft.) “Extraction” – 1000m row Post total time.

Lao, when you do crossfit, do you do it at home, at a gym, or at an affiliate? Just curious.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:09 AM

AWESOME BELLE!!!

I recently set personal records in "Fran" and my personal favorite exercise of all time the CrossFit "Filthy Fifty"

Old 06-15-2010, 10:13 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Absolutely. Setting a PR is always more gratifying than counting calories or pounds.

When I was racing was when I was at my most fit. I always wanted to win. If not outright, at least in my age group.

I guess I never really understood women who "worked out" just so they could fit into a size two. Just wouldn't be enough motivation for me.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:23 AM

Thanks! I have yet to do Fran, but have had the pleasure of experiencing the Filthy Fifty. That workout is no joke! Great job on your pr!!!

Old 06-15-2010, 01:21 PM

7,182 posts, read 9,231,276 times
Yep.

Backpack the Grand Canyon rim to rim.

Hike to the top of the San Francisco Mtns near Flagstaff. (tried 10 yrs ago and got altitude sickness, had to stop, made it all the way when I was 18)

Really long bicycle tour. Used to want to go coast to coast. Now, not so much, but would like to be in shape to do a week long bicycle/camping trip.

Not in shape to do any of those right now. So shorter term goals would be an overnight backpack; maybe a 40 mi day on the bike; and maybe mountain hiking this summer.

Other goals? Improve my golf score; overall strength and muscular endurance. Would like to be able to do 10 pullups, still stuck at 2 1/2.

Thanks for this. I've neede to write these down for a while now.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:16 PM

181 posts, read 598,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Anyone else do this? Lot of folks concentrate on weight/fat loss or calories burned when working out but I personally think its more fun and motivating to aim for personal records each time out.

For example, this morning, instead of just doing my normal 3.25 mile run, I decided to run my a$$ off the first mile, walk and do one legged plyo exercised for the second mile, then runn my a$$ off again the last mile. I set a personal best record the first mile, then, bettered that record again when I ran the last mile. I feel so mentally and emotionally charged right now that I want to go do it again (later of course).

Im starting to go by the motto of "Do more work, and do it faster" then just the same ol same ol. I also find it tedious and boring to sit and count calories burned, consumed, etc.
I think for some people, PRing should include both weight loss and weight gain. People should always strive to set PRs (personal records) during workouts becuase it's one of the best ways to track progression. Good post.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
AWESOME BELLE!!!

I recently set personal records in "Fran" and my personal favorite exercise of all time the CrossFit "Filthy Fifty"
Hey Lao, can you do a muscle up? I'm gonna guess you can. It was part of our WOD today. I was amazed watching the guys do them. I really want to be able to do those someday, maybe in a year.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle77 View Post
Hey Lao, can you do a muscle up? I'm gonna guess you can. It was part of our WOD today. I was amazed watching the guys do them. I really want to be able to do those someday, maybe in a year.
Muscle ups are NOT easy. Not too long ago I was able to get 2.5 but thats it. I plan on ordering some rings from Rogue Fitness for my home garage and will set a goal of being able to do 10 muscle ups. I have some parallettes that I put together that Im working on now.

I am alway just so floored and super impressed when I see women doing muscle ups.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:57 AM

Oh, I know they're not easy. That's why I'm giving myself a year to be able to do one. I was joking with one of the trainers about wanting to be able to do one in 2 years, and he told me I could do one much sooner than that. We'll see. I'm definitely going to work on it. I've seen videos of women doing it. I think it's just amazing and super hot!

Rings are so much fun. It's awesome that you will have some at home. Good luck with that goal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness