Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 08:26 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times

Advertisements

I think its most important for her to GO to the store and try out her cardio whatever.Make sure its comfortable for her.( Wide enough. Feels stable. Not a butt killer etc) I think having an electric treadmill in front of a tv so she can walk and watch will help her stick to it. Or having some sort of music in the room. I would pick two cardio things. One off the feet and one using the feet. Being heavy can give you the "my feet/knees hurt" excuse. I would go with treadmill + rowing machine + exercise bands(for now). The rowing machine will help her get in shape for lifting too. I would also get AC in the room she works out in. Working out in summer air sucks unless you are outside.

I agree that 25 lbs is way too much. Overdo your weights = joint injury. She should start off with bands first and then move onto free weights. Plus the bands are cheaper so she can spend her $$ on something else for the room until she needs something more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 08:33 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,305,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Hello all,

I have an obese female friend who was just given a gift of $1000 to create her own home gym. She's asked me for advice, so I thought I'd open it to the floor.

She is a beginner, lives in a very hot, rural place so there is no gym/fitness center for her to use outside of the home. And also it's just way too hot for her to do anything outdoors.

I am look for suggestions from people who have actually bought equipment. (If you haven't, no offense but I don't really want your opinion. I can google myself... I am looking for real opinions based on experience!!) How would you suggest a clueless beginner spend the money? This is someone who will need to take it easy at first and build up over time...

Free weights are easy... what else? Regarding cardio at home, specific brand names would be great too.

I would also assume that in other six month or so, she will be able to add to her initial purchase.

Thanks!
I don't have a lot of knowledge in actual exercise, but I do know that an obese individual should be under the supervision of a physician, when undertaking any form of fitness program. We don't know what other medical problems her obesity has contributed to or caused, ie. heart problems, joint problems, etc.

Therefore, I would suggest she take some of that money and first go to a physician for a comprehensive check-up and then pay for a consult with a personal trainer armed with her current physical limitations. Her body may not be ready to take on some of these home exercises.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:42 AM

968 posts, read 2,618,795 times
It sounds like this person really needs to learn to make physical fitness a part of their everyday lifestyle and become to accept it as fun/entertaining. So, I think it would be important to diversify the $1,000 to create a full experience; using craigslist, freecycle, and costco or walmart can help with this. My items of recommendation.

1. TV with DVD player or a Wii
2. Machine [treadmill (my preference), rower or an elliptical]
3. Resistance Band Set (preferably with DVD workout included)
4. Jump Rope
5. Ankle/Wrist weights
6. 1-2 Workout DVDs/games
7. Oscillating fan and a Clip-on fan

While I understand that spending more money can buy a better quality machine, it will not help with the issue of variety. This person is not use to committing to any type of routine physical regimen. Perhaps, using the $1,000 to buy a mix of workout aides could prevent the "boredism" issue and the burn-out from repeating the same routine day in and day out. Once she has improved, she can maybe sell the cheaper machine and spend more money on the machine of her choice and retire some of the cheaper accessories and opt to spend money on free weights, etc.... Also, if other family lives in the house there are enough workout aides where everyone can workout together.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:57 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
OngletNYC,

When it comes to exercise equipment, you get what you pay for. Your friend could get something cheap, but it might not last long and could potentially lead to injury. Someone earlier mentioned how often people buy new equipment, stop using it a few months later, and then put it up for sale. Your friend should look at these bargains. She could potentially get some really high-end equipment for a lot less than what it would normally cost.

I work out at home and love it. I disagree with whoever said you can get too easily distracted and make excuses not to work out. I've found that I tend to get more distracted at a gym. Plus, the idea of having to get in the car and drive to and from the gym will make me less likely to want to go. But if the equipment is there at home, I'm more likely to use it. A room that's 15 by 15 is plenty of room. I have a room at home that's smaller than that and I've managed to squeeze one piece of cardio and a free weight setup in there.

I also disagree with whoever said that your friend should just focus on cardio. Weight training is a vital component of fat loss, even if you're a beginner. If all she has is a piece of cardio, she's more likely to get bored. Having weights to work with gives her more variety. Plus, weight training helps keep the metabolism from slowing down by preserving muscle. By doing cardio alone and dieting, she risks losing muscle and slowing down her metabolism.

In terms of cardio, she should avoid getting something that calls for her to sit down. If she has a desk job, then she probably spends enough time sitting. That rules out stationary bikes and rowing machines. Another reason I would discourage her from getting a rowing machine is that I don't believe it's suitable for a beginner. It's a great piece of equipment and a huge calorie burner, but it requires a good deal of upper body strength. Most people are stronger in their legs. She could get a rower, only be able to do 10 minutes, and then give up. Another thing to keep in mind is how easily she'll be able to sell whatever equipment she buys. Treadmills, bikes and ellipticals are far easier to sell than rowers. I'm sure you wouldn't want your friend to buy something, not like it, and then be stuck with it. I know others have recommended treadmills, but I think the best piece of cardio for a beginner is an elliptical. A treadmill requires more maintenance and, if the belt isn't soft, could lead to knee problems. An elliptical doesn't have a motor or belt to worry about, works your upper body and is easier on the joints. Some really good brands for ellipticals are Precor, LifeFitness and Octane Fitness. But they're pricey, which is why I recommend looking for used models. If your friend decides to go with a treadmill, some good brands are True and Vision Fitness. I used to have a True treadmill and loved it. Really soft belt that was great on my knees. But I eventually traded it in for an Octane Fitness elliptical which I love even more.

The other component of a good gym is free weights. She could start with a bench and some dumbbells or power blocks. You can do quite a lot of exercises with just dumbbells. Over time, as she gets more advanced and has more money, she could invest in a squat cage, barbell and plates. Most cages come with safety catches so you don't need a spotter.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:37 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
Many thanks specifically to those of you with knowledge and experience who posted on the thread. (Some of you who posted... not so much. )

For cardio I am leaning towards recommending an elliptical... I'm checking around Craigslist etc to see if there are any deals to be had. Resistance bands with a DVD are a must in my mind too. (Lao, 20-25 lb dumbells for an obese female beginner... what are you smoking??) I think the idea of getting several different things is a very good one; we can pull together that list once the big purchase is settled. I thik she can get cheap free weights at Wal mart...

I'm still reading should anyone come across this thread and have something to say!

Old 06-23-2010, 12:52 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Hello all,

I have an obese female friend who was just given a gift of $1000 to create her own home gym. She's asked me for advice, so I thought I'd open it to the floor.

She is a beginner, lives in a very hot, rural place so there is no gym/fitness center for her to use outside of the home. And also it's just way too hot for her to do anything outdoors.

I am look for suggestions from people who have actually bought equipment. (If you haven't, no offense but I don't really want your opinion. I can google myself... I am looking for real opinions based on experience!!) How would you suggest a clueless beginner spend the money? This is someone who will need to take it easy at first and build up over time...

Free weights are easy... what else? Regarding cardio at home, specific brand names would be great too.

I would also assume that in other six month or so, she will be able to add to her initial purchase.

Thanks!
Ok, lets' not get the cart before the horse here!

The very first thing your obese friend needs to do is get a check up from a good doctor who you need to ask for a diet and exercise program.

It makes no sense at all to spend a single dime on fancy exercise equipment and then get in trouble due to health problems.

Spend some money on the check up then go from there...........

Old 06-23-2010, 12:56 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
Quote:
Many thanks specifically to those of you with knowledge and experience who posted on the thread. (Some of you who posted... not so much. )

For cardio I am leaning towards recommending an elliptical... I'm checking around Craigslist etc to see if there are any deals to be had. Resistance bands with a DVD are a must in my mind too. (Lao, 20-25 lb dumbells for an obese female beginner... what are you smoking??) I think the idea of getting several different things is a very good one; we can pull together that list once the big purchase is settled. I thik she can get cheap free weights at Wal mart...

I'm still reading should anyone come across this thread and have something to say!
She might get a better deal with the free weights on craigslist or at a sporting goods resale shop.

There's always a plethora of used free weights. Especially the lighter dumbbells.

Last edited by yayoi; 06-23-2010 at 01:22 PM..

Old 06-23-2010, 01:07 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Ok, lets' not get the cart before the horse here!

The very first thing your obese friend needs to do is get a check up from a good doctor who you need to ask for a diet and exercise program.

It makes no sense at all to spend a single dime on fancy exercise equipment and then get in trouble due to health problems.

Spend some money on the check up then go from there...........
This is exactly what I meant by "not so much" in my last post. Her medical history is none of your business so I will not discuss it in order to make you feel better. I have no interest in discussing the back story here, she is ready to work out and that's all you need to know.

Please people, if you don't have any experience-based equipment advice, you aren't helpful on this thread. You really aren't, no matter how authoritative you try to sound nor what colors you use on your post. This isn't a hypothetical thread, my friend is going to follow my advice and I am taking this very seriously.

And thanks again to those who wrote out a lot of help information. I really appreciate it!

Old 06-23-2010, 01:35 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times
Buy a bike, and a gym membership with a pool and perhaps an indoor track. Take the rest of the money and invest in a personal trainer.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:38 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
For cardio I am leaning towards recommending an elliptical
Good choice, but consider this: When I was first starting out, I couldn't last more than five minutes on the elliptical.

On the one hand, it's efficient, low-impact exercise (what shape are her knees and ankles in?); on the other, it takes awhile before you feel like you're not going to die. That might be frustrating for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness