Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Was The Most Effective Fat Burning Exercise For You?
Weight Training 7 21.88%
Intervals 8 25.00%
Steady State Cardio First Thing in the Morning 4 12.50%
Steady State Cardio Anytime 10 31.25%
Other 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 12:21 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times

Advertisements

We all respond differently to exercise. Some people can lose a lot of fat just by lifting weights 3 times a week whereas others need daily cardio. Some just have to do intervals a few times a week while others have to do long periods of steady state cardio. Some, like me, have to do cardio first thing in the morning to see results. Others can get away with doing it later. Assuming your diet was in order, what did you personally find to be the best exercise to burn off fat? Weights? Cardio? Intervals? Steady state? Hopefully, you're doing some kind of combination of these, but I'm guessing there was one form of exercise that was more effective than the others. I know what works for me. What works for you?

And if you don't know what steady state is, it just means that you do cardio at a consistent intensity that you can maintain for at least 20 minutes. Jogging is an example of this. Also, I'm not interested in hearing what combination worked for you, but rather what single form of exercise made the biggest difference.

Last edited by DennyCrane; 08-02-2010 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 12:44 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I have no idea what "steady state" or any of that mumbo jumbo is, but the combination of walking around 3 miles a day, whenever I could, with weight training three times a week, helped me lose 140 pounds, and keep it off for the past eight years.

KISS (keep it simple ...).

Old 08-02-2010, 12:51 PM

358 posts, read 999,728 times
I don't know what "steady state" is either but I do know what the others are. I just stay confused as to what a person actually needs to do. Is Body Pump as good as cycling or walking for cardio? Or do I need to Body Pump in addition to other cardio?

Old 08-02-2010, 12:52 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inave View Post
I just stay confused as to what a person actually needs to do.
1) What you enjoy doing. If you don't enjoy it, you're not going to do it.
2) Whatever works, and whenever you can do it.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:04 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
I voted "steady state cardio first thing in the morning". Well, its the closest to what worked best for me. I am NOT a runner but I always do 5k in the mornings on an empty stomach (except for a cup of black coffee). This has by FAR been the most effective for me in burning fat. Nothing else Ive done (and Ive done a LOT) even comes close.

The last half to quarter mile I do HIIT where I run full out for 10 or 20 seconds, then walk 5 or 10 seconds, then run FULL OUT again.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:21 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I voted "steady state cardio first thing in the morning". Well, its the closest to what worked best for me. I am NOT a runner but I always do 5k in the mornings on an empty stomach (except for a cup of black coffee). This has by FAR been the most effective for me in burning fat. Nothing else Ive done (and Ive done a LOT) even comes close.

The last half to quarter mile I do HIIT where I run full out for 10 or 20 seconds, then walk 5 or 10 seconds, then run FULL OUT again.
I'm the same way. I'll maintain the same pace up until the last 5 minutes and then pick up the pace, even sneak in some intervals. Like you, I've tried a lot of different things over the years to burn fat. Everything worked, but the morning cardio was BY FAR the most effective. I just couldn't believe how much of a difference it made. I realize that morning cardio isn't necessary and probably isn't possible for a lot of people so don't take this thread to mean that everyone should be doing this.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:53 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Steady state cardio anytime. I work out in the late afternoon or evening.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:18 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,596,004 times
I voted for steady state cardio anytime.

I'm a small-framed woman and never was more than 20 pounds "over weight." Although I'll adjust my diet, it's never what you guys would call "clean." Not even close - sugar and carbs every day for me If I do muscle toning for abs or by lifting hand weights, I see improvements quickly.

That said, the one thing I'll stick with and that sheds pounds and fat for me, is walking. Not even intense cardio walking - just a steady pace and always with hills. Any time of day - often at least twice a day, actually - for anywhere from half an hour to two hours at a time.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:28 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,585,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Steady state cardio anytime. I work out in the late afternoon or evening.
Same here!

I started seriously a week ago, 45 min a day with the exercise bike and I'm already seeing some results.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:33 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,886,821 times
What are the most effective for me at burning fat is jogging and long walks. Lots of cardio, pretty much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness