Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 06:05 PM

917 posts, read 2,006,927 times

Advertisements

I know diet is extremely important when it comes to weight loss. I dont like to exercise but I know it needs to be done.

If I only exercise 3x a week for an hr, that's not enough to lose weight is it? I would do cardio and weight training.

I probably need to lose about 15/20 lbs. Most of my fat is in my tummy.

I wish I could find somewhere to skate. That's one exercise I would love to do.

Last edited by hershey48; 12-01-2010 at 06:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 06:16 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,128,718 times
Depending on how hard you train, you can work out 3 times a week and shed pounds. As long as you do at least 3 times a week in the gym, you're good. It's all about INTENSITY. You can't half-step in the gym and expect to see results.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:23 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,263,295 times
You don't have to go to the gym. You can do brisk walking or any kind of acitivity that keeps you busy for 30 minutes to an hour. I'm not knockin' the gym. Some people need that motivation. My point is that you just need to put in that cardio but you also need to watch what you eat. Many people get the misconception that they are going to the gym, therefore they can eat more. You need to have a balance. Some people can lose weight by not exercising at all but personally, I think one needs to find a good middle ground.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:24 PM

137 posts, read 312,417 times
the same problem with you,most of my fat is in my tummy.I always in the diet but no effect,because I barely had time to exercise.This is very bad,How can I do!

Old 12-01-2010, 06:25 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,128,718 times
^That's true too. Any kind of physical activity will get you in shape real fast.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
You don't have to go to the gym. You can do brisk walking or any kind of acitivity that keeps you busy for 30 minutes to an hour. I'm not knockin' the gym. Some people need that motivation. My point is that you just need to put in that cardio but you also need to watch what you eat. Many people get the misconception that they are going to the gym, therefore they can eat more. You need to have a balance. Some people can lose weight by not exercising at all but personally, I think one needs to find a good middle ground.
Yeah I know. It's going to be hard. I'm so used to eating fast food and just eating whatever I wanted and now it definitely shows.

One summer I was eating oatmeal everyday and really watching what I ate and I lose A LOT of weight really fast. I didnt exercise at all. And that was also the one time I can remember my stomach being somewhat flat. But I know exercise will give me that toned look I want or else I'll just be skinny fat.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:40 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,338,203 times
If you're gaining weight in your stomach, it means you are taking in too many carbs. Look on the sides of products and try not to take in more than 30g of carbs per meal. No matter how much you work out in the gym, if you have too many carbs, you will still have a gut.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
If you're gaining weight in your stomach, it means you are taking in too many carbs. Look on the sides of products and try not to take in more than 30g of carbs per meal. No matter how much you work out in the gym, if you have too many carbs, you will still have a gut.
I definitely have. I love sweets. I was eating too much ice cream and too many bagels.

I read that belly fat comes from not eating enough fiber and I haven't been getting enough of that either.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:11 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,106,738 times
Hmm..I would have to give you a definite "maybe" to answer you question. In an hour-long, fairly intense gym session which is comprised of, oh, say, 30 minutes of cardio, you could expect to burn around 700 calories. This is only a ballpark number, mind you, since the amount of cals. one burns depends on several factors, incliding fitness level, intensity of workout, and of course body weight.
But let's say ya burn 700 cals three times a week. That equals 2100 cals, or roughly one day's worth of calories that you intake from food, assuming you're on a basic healthy diet. So I think that if you couple your 3X weekly workouts with a healthy diet--cutting out as much sugar and fat as you can, and drinking LOTS of water--you could reasonably expect to drop one to two pounds a week. Maybe 7-8 lbs. a month?
Again, I'm winging it here, but as a personal trainer I'm basing my opinions for your possible weight loss on women clients I've had in the past who performed similar weekly exercise regimens.
Best of luck to you!

Old 12-01-2010, 07:31 PM

^Ok Thanks.

Another question: can I skip crunches all together since they dont help you lose tummy fat?

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness