Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 10:18 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
Sorry, but I have to dispute this statement. I am thin. I NEVER gain weight in my stomach. I could eat like a pig and the only place the weight is going to attach itself is to my butt, hips and thighs. NEVER to my stomach. Not sure why you think that, but I can disprove that theory quick.
Same. Even at my highest weight, still a small waist, particular ratio-wise with my hips. Women tend to show more variety in where they carry fat deposits in their bodies...pear-shaped, bottom heavy women such as myself aren't as prone to developing round tummies, flabby arms, ballooning boobs during weight gain. It's all about hips, thighs, butt. Depends on how you're built...but women overall aren't nearly as prone to pot bellies as men are...some women do gain weight there, but it commonly goes to other areas. This is a hormone-driven thing, extra fat around the pelvis appears to be advantageous in the case of pregnancy. Belly fat also poses much more of a health risk than heavy thighs/wide hips, overall, although both can be aesthetic issues, as well.

Here's a link to an article from Scientific American that explains a bit more. To the OP, in regard to your concern, your dad's pot belly is not really an indication that that's how you'll gain weight.

Why does fat deposit on the hips and thighs of women and around the stomachs of men?: Scientific American
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 10:22 AM

Also, I feel like people are focusing on additional fat as the only way the OP can increase her weight. Gaining muscle mass would create desired weight gain as well. There are healthy ways to put on weight. I wouldn't say that "Start scarfing milkshakes and fries like there's no tomorrow" is the best advice for healthy weight gain. Nutrition is always important.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:42 AM

I wouldn't EVER say that pigging out on fast food, cookies, and soda is a healthful option, regardless of what you intent is.

Any doctor or nutritionist is going to help you identify high-calorie foods that also provide necessary nutrients, and will tell you that while food like the above, while not disastrous in careful moderation, is NOT how you should be getting the bulk of your calories.

I agree on examining the exercise routine, and looking for ways to change it up to help regulate metabolism. A trainer and other fitness resources can probably be of assistance on that front.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:10 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
I agree with TabulaRasa. Making a point of eating lots of junk food is not the way to go. It may be that you don't need to be as careful about completely avoiding junk food as someone who is overweight, but it's not healthful to stuff yourself with trash, even if you don't gain too much weight. Much better to eat more, but eat more highly nutritious foods. Try eating at each meal until you feel full, then eating a little more, but do this with good foods, not junk.

I'm not sure that fat gains will always go to your stomach--the areas where fat accumulates vary from person to person--but I agree with Dude1984 that you would do well to add a basic workout with weights to your fitness program. Lift heavy, meaning weights you can lift no more than six to twelve reps to exhaustion. Heavy lifting is the method that leads to gains in muscle mass. Do some heavy lifting, and increase your intake of healthful foods by a bit, and you should gradually gain those extra five pounds or so you're after, in a way that results in a good build, not a fat-skinny shape.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:05 AM

111 posts, read 295,397 times
Sweet Fancy Moses I've never seen such a collection of bad advice.

Get an account at FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal - It's free and millions of people use it. Use it to track what you are eating for a week. After a week look at how many calories you've been averaging on a day. Chances are it is way under 2000.

Why not finally switch to a healthy diet once and for all? Don't eat junk or weight gainers until you reach your weight and then stop. What a horrible idea.
Yes, it's going to take a while, maybe a year, but all the right paths in life are the hard ones.

Be an example, lead by example, inspire others with your results. That should always be your goal- not some selfish weight gain. Good luck!

Old 02-14-2011, 11:52 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Go to your local gymn or pharmacy and by one of the many products designed to increase ones mass

Old 02-14-2011, 12:07 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,780 times
I'd advise against the junk food recommendations as well since it could do physical damage and you never know if you'll become accustomed to eating bad foods and be incapable of stopping once you've gained the amount of weight you want.

Lat year I gained 8 pounds over the course of 4 months by eating pasta for dinner everyday. I'd make it with potatoes, with oil/vinegar & steamed veggies, cheese, marinara sauce, Earth Balance & a tiny bit of fresh parmesan reggiano, etc. Although I can eat tons of bread without weight gain, for whatever reason pasta metabolized in a different way and I gained. I added a very small amount of weight to my stomach (maybe 1/4 pound) and the rest accumulated in my backside & thighs. If you add pasta or any other simple carb to your diet (maybe even a big NY style bagel with peanut butter in the morning) you should see weight very gradually piling on. This seems like a healthier option to gain weight than eating lots of sugar or weight gaining products.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:27 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
you will gain weight eventually. id recommend not worrying about it for now. at least wait until your married to start packing on the pounds.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:26 PM

236 posts, read 860,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerksticks View Post

Get an account at FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal - It's free and millions of people use it. Use it to track what you are eating for a week. After a week look at how many calories you've been averaging on a day. Chances are it is way under 2000.

Why not finally switch to a healthy diet once and for all? Don't eat junk or weight gainers until you reach your weight and then stop. What a horrible idea.
Yes, it's going to take a while, maybe a year, but all the right paths in life are the hard ones.

Be an example, lead by example, inspire others with your results. That should always be your goal- not some selfish weight gain. Good luck!
Thank you.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:54 PM

890 posts, read 2,785,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerksticks View Post

Weight gain or loss comes from diet.

Journal what you eat. Look at the calories and proportion of protein, carbs and fat.

Muscle weights more than body fat in "volume" so it would be healthier to bulk up in muscle. Note that women "bulking" does not necessarily mean you will grow huge muscles quick. It only means you're adding muscles overall your entire body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness