Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 08:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,419 times

Advertisements

I have been trying to get motivated to lose weight for a little over a year now. I will have weeks were i will go to the gym religiously, then fall off schedule, try specific diets, and also fail at them. I am not used to being the size i am at (5'3, 150) as i had a baby almost 2 years ago, and previous to that i was 30lbs lighter, being this "big" is just new to me, and quite depressing!

to get to the point, a friend suggested, for some motivation i sign up and commit to a 5k run, and i thought this was PERFECT. She also gave me a website for kind of a "training program": fromcouchto5k.com. I have been following this for a couple weeks now, but it almost seems like its not enough to JUST follow that schedule. I was wondering if anyone has used this site and has any sort of review, or if any one just has any suggestions on a good way to train for this. (FYI the run is in May)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 03:44 AM

610 posts, read 1,295,871 times
I looked at the training program and it does seem too easy, beginning looks like what I do to get to wherever when I'm stressed lol.

The way I'd go about it is to find a 5k path to run.
day 1: jogg through it slowly, don't stop, just decrease the pace if it gets too hard.
day 2: rest
day 3: jogg through it again slowly
day 4: rest
etc. crank up the intensity slowly.

On every session:
*Get some carbs before running
*Stretch after every session
*eat something after each session, like a lean sandwitch, for example wholegrain bread with chicken in it. this will help your body to recover. A protein shake is another solution but hardly necessary if you don't want it. the protein intake does not need to be as high for cardiotraining as for weight-training.
*Try to jogg/run just a little faster each time(or to jogg longer in the beginning)

At 150 lbs you can't be that overweight, I suspect you are well within healthy measures. The way I'd go about the whole thing is to first build the cardio, until you can run the 5k without trouble, and then combine it with HIIT and go harder on the weightloss when you've reached that state as you will have a better ability to do so then. You will probably lose a few lbs on the way there anyways.
HIIT is most effective after your physical conditioning is at a certain level, so start with it once you're there.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:11 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
My college roommate used couch-to-5k as her springboard to get started running, and now she does half-marathons. It looks easy in the beginning, but that's because it's intended for people who are starting from a point of little-to-no distance running experience. You can always amp it up to suit your needs and goals.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:51 PM

270 posts, read 488,237 times
I'm doing the C25k program and it definitely starts out easy...and then gets tough...but I've never really run before so I'm sure hardcore athletes look at it like it's nothing I haven't lost weight but I've had people comment that I look like I've lost so I'm guessing I'm building some lean muscle. Good luck...and don't stop for more than a couple of days or you'll lose your progress and have to start over!!

Old 02-21-2011, 05:04 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,914 times
I've heard nothing but good things about that program

Old 02-21-2011, 05:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,419 times
@ sportsgeek, thank you for your suggestions, very helpful!

thank you all for the input! i am DEF. going to try to stick with this one

Old 02-21-2011, 05:38 PM

610 posts, read 1,295,871 times
You're welcome!

Old 02-22-2011, 07:17 AM

471 posts, read 1,042,861 times
My fiance started on that program and now she's completed a marathon. It's all about motivation. May I suggest finding a partner who wants to do the same thing. Maybe look up a running club in your area. Trust me, with a partner it is soooooooooo much easier.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:08 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allie03 View Post
I have been trying to get motivated to lose weight for a little over a year now. I will have weeks were i will go to the gym religiously, then fall off schedule, try specific diets, and also fail at them. I am not used to being the size i am at (5'3, 150) as i had a baby almost 2 years ago, and previous to that i was 30lbs lighter, being this "big" is just new to me, and quite depressing!

to get to the point, a friend suggested, for some motivation i sign up and commit to a 5k run, and i thought this was PERFECT. She also gave me a website for kind of a "training program": fromcouchto5k.com. I have been following this for a couple weeks now, but it almost seems like its not enough to JUST follow that schedule. I was wondering if anyone has used this site and has any sort of review, or if any one just has any suggestions on a good way to train for this. (FYI the run is in May)
I am just starting to run using the couch to 5k program as well.

I talked to a friend who runs and he suggested going to Hal Higdon's website. I checked it out and the site has more programs listed for varying degrees of fitness and different target events - 5K, half marathon, etc. You may want to check it out as well. Good luck!

Old 02-22-2011, 10:18 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,915 times
I'd be interested to hear what your weight loss programs were exactly...a year of trying and no progress, something is not right!

The reason I bring it up is that the more weight you drop, the easier/better running will go for you. Unfortunately, running/exercise alone isn't enough. Permanent changes to diet also need to be made...

good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness