Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 06:26 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,705 times

Advertisements

Sip: Green tea

In a 2009 report from the American Society of Nutrition, scientists found that exercisers who drank green tea lost twice as much weight as those who didn't, and had the greatest declines in total abdominal fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 08:43 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,984,503 times
Does this sound reasonable? I would love it if the report was linked to here - I used to peer-review reports and I have a hunch that this study might have some flaws in it since results like these seem pretty dramatic. All that said, I drink green tea and I have very little body fat around my waste (or anywhere else for that matter).

Old 03-10-2011, 01:57 PM

17,389 posts, read 16,524,581 times
I recently started drinking green tea again and I actually do think it might be helping to speed up my weight loss a little.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:57 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,642,628 times
I remember it was proven in another study that green tea does have an impact, although slight, on increasing the resting metabolism. I don't know what the connection is to abdominal fat loss though. I also wonder what the study consisted of and how did they know that it was the tea leaves that caused the fat loss or just the greater intake of water. Good info.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:26 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
For those who didn't drink green tea, exactly what did they drink? Water? Diet soda? Milk? Beer? Furthermore, did each group perform the same exercises with the same amount and intesity?

We need more information to have a discussion; what is written in the OP is too complete to be of any use.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:23 PM

17,389 posts, read 16,524,581 times
More details about the study would be good. In my own very recent personal experience with green tea -

When not drinking green tea, I drink black coffee, plain seltzer or water with a wedge of lime and a cup of chocolate milk after I strength train. Sometimes wine on a weekend night and rarely a diet soda.

I started drinking green tea a few weeks back in addition to what I normally consume beverage wise in a day. I usually drink it in the evening shortly before I go to bed so maybe I'm burning more calories while I'm asleep(?). My diet/very well established exercise routine hasn't really changed. I feel good physically so I may be more active in a general sort of way - up and down stairs more, less sitting, etc.

At any rate, lately I've lost some weight and fat around my midsection (not an amazing amount but noticeable to me). Is that due to the green tea? I honestly don't know. But I'm going to keep drinking it just in case it is. I figure it can't hurt, might help, so why not drink it.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:01 PM

610 posts, read 1,295,755 times
To answer your speculations;

green tea does have a small effect but not a dramatic one;
many fat-loss supplements contain green tea, and it will hardly ever be bad for you to drink green tea so just go ahead and try it, but don't expect any miracles.
Other known foods that are beneficial when losing weights are for example calcium and chilipepper.

Neither of these perform any miracles, but may help a bit, kinda like creatine supplementation for strength-training.
With otherwords 90% of you will be helped so little by it that you don't even notice the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness