Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 07:21 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times

Advertisements

i guess ill address the shaving the legs thing since im the resident homosexual bodyshaver. it seems like too much work to me and people dont notice the legs enough to matter. if it was something that could be done really easily and quick, id probably do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 07:35 PM

51 posts, read 152,053 times
I shave too. Mainly my chest and arm pits. Not my legs or arms, but they are not very hairy and as NJ mentioned it becomes too much work.

It's also cleaner -

Old 03-29-2011, 07:43 PM

296 posts, read 542,973 times
Some guys are really, really hairy so shaving probably makes them feel more attractive or cleaner. It doesn't bother me when they do. It's acceptable for women but not men? Bleh! To each their own.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:04 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,054 times
Gay?

Old 03-29-2011, 08:13 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,477,682 times
They do it because it looks cleaner and helps prevent odor. No one wants to see a bird's nest every time you lift your arms. I prefer my guys clean shaven or with just a little hair. Hair ages you.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:46 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,481,813 times
If a cyclist or swimmer or triathlete does not shave their legs, they are not a serious swimmer or cyclist or triathlete.

I'm sure it would also help runners who deal with high temperatures. In fact, I bet that most Olympian caliber track & field competitors will shave. Small price to pay for an edge.

Some people need a serious can of "Grow the **** up." You think someone is gay because they shaved? I think you are dumber than a rock.

Want to know is someone is gay? If they have the organs of the same sex in their mouth, they are gay. Otherwise, you are witch hunting.

Note for the witch hunters: I have not shaved since my last triathlon. So I'm not gay.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:08 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
Wondering what this is about? I see this one guy at the gym who not only shaves his legs but it looks like he even shaves under his arms (I was at the pull up bar station and he was next to me--I couldn't help but not notice this)

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I don't get why a guy would shave his legs? Fwiw, the guy is muscular--not Arnold muscular, pretty solid muscles though.

Can someone fill me in on why guys do this, please?
And...if you were being completely honest, you'd admit that his "pretty solid" shaven leg muscles looked pretty damn good, too. Right? I'm sure you gave them more than a cursory glance. LOL. So, in reality, you already know the answer to your question: guys shave their legs--or any other part of their body--so as to make their defined musculature look even better, and not be even slightly obscured or blemished by hair. This is why ever bodybuilder you've ever seen in your life has shaven his body too. I really can't believe you don't know the answer to this. Or maybe it was just a rhetorical question?
Of course, swimmers and cyclists also sometimes shave their legs, but for a very different reason; one that is functional and not merely asthetical: so as to reduce water and air resisatance, respectively, and also to increase the thermodynamics. But I've always been highly skeptical on exactly how much time can be saved in any particular race by doing this, figuring that the practice was really more psychological than functuional.
In fact, A friend of mine who's a physics professor at a local college once did all the math on this practice, calculating all the velocities and resistances and angular momentums and thermodynamic drag, and other junk and reckoned that, a normally hirsute swimmer might save about one-hundredth of a second in a 100 meter race by shaving.
But water has more drag than air, so he said that for cyclists the alleged time-saving is in reality non-existent.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:47 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times
Seriously??? Did you miss this thread?

//www.city-data.com/forum/fashi...-leg-hair.html

I'm a straight mid-40s female bicycle racer, and I would never date a guy with hairy legs. Just "icky" to me.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:51 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
Wondering what this is about? I see this one guy at the gym who not only shaves his legs but it looks like he even shaves under his arms (I was at the pull up bar station and he was next to me--I couldn't help but not notice this)

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I don't get why a guy would shave his legs? Fwiw, the guy is muscular--not Arnold muscular, pretty solid muscles though.

Can someone fill me in on why guys do this, please?
Its not near as popular as it was ten years ago. Back in the early 2000s more guys shaved their legs than did not. My parents wouldn't let me do it because they said it was gay but I was teased by the other guys at school for not shaving. Now I don't see many guys who shave their legs.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:57 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times
Quote:
but, true reason here...
I shave legs to honor sport
and dedication

goals, motivation
but mostly for vanity
and conformity
excellent post here:
RoadBike Review's Forum Archives
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness